Florence with Teenagers - advice please

tasha4860

Has anyone been to the Museum of History of Science (Galileo)? Our children are 10, 14 and 16. Or should we skip that museum in favor of the Uffizi Gallery? We are also planning to go to Accademia.

Hi Tasha. Have not been to the Galileo museum. When are you going and how long do you have? If it's one day, I would not try to do both the Uffizi and the Academia. We spent a week in Florence a few years ago with our children (5 and 6 at the time). We met up with friends who had teenagers and spent a few days sightseeing with them. I seem to recall that the older kids loved Santa Croce (church that has tombs of many famous Italians). Also, the older kids liked the weapons in the Bargello and shopping around Ponte Vecchio- the older boys bought a couple of great leather jackets. Others will have more feedback for you. Have a great trip.

Yes, we just stop in Livorno for one day - using RomeinLimo to go to Pisa/Florence. I'm trying to strike a good balance between what we want to see and what the kids want to see - happy teens make for happy parents:) Thanks for your advice.

Even some adults(like me) found the Uffizi hard to take!

I wouldn't do it with teens unless they are really into Renaissance art. I prefer art from that time on the walls and ceilings of buildings rather than hanging in museums. I found the Museum San Marco much more interesting where I could feel the history and see the frescoes on the walls of the monk's cells.

We left our 13 year old at the hotel ... after several days of sightseeing he could not be persuaded to go to the Uffizzi. We did take him to the Galileo Museum and he wasn't impressed. I think it depends upon how well traveled your teens are and how curious they are. The churches were better and seemed less tedious for our teen who thinks he's seen it all. He is very well traveled so now unfortunately it takes a lot to impress him.

Yes, we just stop in Livorno for one day - using RomeinLimo to go to Pisa/Florence.

I think your time will be too short to fit in a visit to the Uffizi. Florence is a great city to wander in and I agree with the suggestions for other sites made above. Your driver will also have some places to recommend.

We took a bus up to Piazzale Michaelangelo and walked down .. your driver will probably have it on his agenda; if you feel like walking down, ask him to meet you (it only takes about 15-20 minutes.)

DD loved the Uffuzi at age 4 so much that it was her #1 must see when she was 13YO (and she was not disappointed). So yes, it depends upon your teen. Ours really likes art museums and does the research and stuff ahead of time to really appreciate the pieces.

DD loved the Uffuzi at age 4 so much that it was her #1 must see when she was 13YO (and she was not disappointed). So yes, it depends upon your teen. Ours really likes art museums and does the research and stuff ahead of time to really appreciate the pieces.

Sounds like me. I visited at age 15 or 16 with my parents and it just blew me away. I couldn't wait to go back again, although I was about twice as old on my next visit. :D

I do agree that, as a parent, you have to know your own kid(s). Some would be bored stiff and whining within 20 minutes.

For those kids/teens that are not museum-goers, just walking around Florence and taking it in is probably the best fun, including stops for shopping in one or more of the markets (if they're into it), gelato, and maybe climbing the steps to the top of the Duomo if they've got more energy than you know what to do with...

We let (okay, sometimes we force) our teenagers to do some research and make decisions for themselves - I find we all get along better when they take ownership for their own enjoyment.

In Florence they loved climbing the dome at the Duomo and wandering around the mercato (but these kids are really into food, so it's not surprising that they'd go for a food market).

know your own kid(s). Some would be bored stiff and whining within 20 minutes.

Does anyone watch "Little People, Big World" on TLC? I normally do not but it seems that the mom and the two younger kids (16YO girl and 13ishYO boy) were touring Italy. If I were the mom I'd have pushed the teen boy off the top of the Duomo had he been mine! He was whining constantly. DD was watching and made me watch part -- she said if that were her kid she would have left him home!

Archived