Your time = no waiter show?

bellazoemom

We actually try to avoid it. But don't worry, you'll get to see the waiters prance around with things on their heads and waving their napkins. There was even a fairly large conga line upstairs on the Legend one night. No, you won't get to see all of it unless you're right near the railing, but you'll still get to be involved. We had Your Time dining and saw it most nights. It just depends on when you get there and when you finish dinner.

We actually try to avoid it. But don't worry, you'll get to see the waiters prance around with things on their heads and waving their napkins. There was even a fairly large conga line upstairs on the Legend one night. No, you won't get to see all of it unless you're right near the railing, but you'll still get to be involved. We had Your Time dining and saw it most nights. It just depends on when you get there and when you finish dinner.

Well, I feel better about it then. I saw it on the Sensation and okay---so it's hokie! :rolleyes:

But it's part of the cruise experience, and I want DH to experience everything on his first cruise in December. :D

Maybe I am in the minority here but I just think its really unnecessary for the waiters to put on a "show" - they work so hard as it is. I have always gotten the impression that most of them are being forced and are really not into doing a dance for the guests. Just my opinion.

I think there are a lot of us who think the singing waiter thing is hokey and quite unnecessary. I want servers who know what their job is -- bring me my dinner in an efficient and timely manner, unobtrusive, polite, engaging if I engage them but otherwise behind-the-scenes. They don't NEED to entertain me, become my "friend", "get to know my preferences" or any of that...just listen to what I want for dinner, and get it served.

So I'm glad to avoid all that nonsense whenever possible.

We were on the Miracle and had Anytime Dining, unfortunately we had dinner one night that fell during "show time" - you do indeed get to witness it.

If it is important to you, ask at the hostess station what time they will be performing and they will let you know. Then you can time your dinner to coincide.

Hokey ? OMG yes ! They are not signers or dancers and you can tell. I think many of them roll their eyes big time when it's time to perform. Here we go again... yipee... :rolleyes:

Having said that, one of the things I remember most of my 1st Carnival cruise was when the waiters sang "That's Amore". Dont' ask me why - I just loved it ! I swear I had that song in my head for weeks after the cruise and it still brings a smile to my face when I hear it (muzac on the elevator, TV commercials use it sometimes).

I cruised Princess last time and they did not have the waiters perform. I kinda missed it... ;)

When we had anytime dining it took place every evening around 8:45ish. I am with the "could do without it" group. I find it disruptive. Here we are trying to enjoy a nice dinner and conversation with our family/friends/tablemates and then ... And I also agree that some of the staff seem to not be enjoying it so much either.

On the Liberty last year, the waiter shows were only in the downstairs dining room. We love the shows, so always request a table by the railing, so we can look down and see it. A couple of years ago on the Miracle, the waiter show turned into a dining room Conga line (which I somehow found myself in the middle of). Like previous poster, I also have a lasting memory of the waiter shows. It was many years ago, the song was "We Are the World", the whole dining room held hands, sang, and swayed to the music.

Hokey? I prefer to call it fun!

if you sign up for "your time" dining then there is no dinner show? is it in a seperate dining room when you are on the legend? eeeep.

No offense to those who enjoy the dinner show, but for us, the dancing waiters are more obnoxious than entertaining. The moment that we see the lights blinking followed by the CD yelling "iiiiit's showtime!", we rush through our last few bites and run for the door...

Not having to put up with announcements, and obnoxious music and dancing, makes going to the dining room much, much, MUCH more enjoyable!

if you sign up for "your time" dining then there is no dinner show? is it in a seperate dining room when you are on the legend? eeeep.

I was on the Legend last summer and we had a show and yes I had anytime dining. The anytime dining is upstairs on the 3rd floor and the main floor is 2. middle opened up. Here is the show.th_164.jpg

Maybe I am in the minority here but I just think its really unnecessary for the waiters to put on a "show" - they work so hard as it is. I have always gotten the impression that most of them are being forced and are really not into doing a dance for the guests. Just my opinion.

Amen and Amen

I would prefer quicker (more) deserts and more diet coke instead of dancing.

Yes, we got the singing and dancing most every night, depending on when we came in. If we got there around 8:15-8:30 (which we usually did) then we usually got the song and dance around 9, probably meant for the late seating. When we went in around 7, they did it right as we were seated so I think it's just a matter of timing. But you're in no means excluded from the festivities being in the your time seating area. Our waiters were very energetic and encouraged everyone to dance and have a good time.

I to would prefer quicker service than have them sing and dance. I am actually a little embarassed for some of them. Some really seem to get into it, but others look like they would rather be sticking a sharp stick in their eye.

It's been a long time since we've seen one, but we like the little shows and I know my kids will like it. To make sure we get to see it is one of the reasons we picked early dining instead of anytime.

I guess if we went on several cruises a year then it would get boring after a while and we'd want to miss it, but for now, we look forward to seeing them.

Yes, it's hokey but I still love it and I am taking a first time cruiser with me next time so I can't wait to see her reaction. I don't mind if they stop serving to sing "You're leaving on a jet plane". I always manage to get my dessert and after dinner espresso. Where am I going to rush off to when I'm done.:p

I don't mind if they stop serving to sing "You're leaving on a jet plane".

You mean, "You're leaving on a Fun Ship"? :D

FWIW, it's probable that Carnival (and the other lines, too) keep the singing waiters because they find it increases sales and that their customers prefer it. I'm sure the numbers have been run through computers and accountants have scrunched over the numbers. They decided, the singing stays.

I like it. The dining room on a ship is a fun, vacation, decent food, friendly people, enjoy yourself setting. The music adds to that.

Some like it, some hate it, but I guess the powers that be decided it was good for the company.

I appreciate other opinions, and respect those who like and really love the waiter shows. To each their own. I am of the group, who dont particularly like it. I actually feel bad for the waiters, and try to get out of the dining room before the lights dim and procession begins. It is just me. I like shows though, so when I feel like seeing a show, I head for the showroom. JMHO.:)

I accept the fact that I'm in the minority here, but I would be absolutely thrilled to NOT be subjected to the wait staff's song and dance routines. Sadly, the only way to avoid them is to eat somewhere other than the MDR. Perhaps if I had Anytime Dining and arrived just after the early seating "show" was over I could be finished and gone before the late show begins ... hmmmmmmm ....

Archived