New X/RC Price Drop Policy In Action

MAXII

• 1 month later...

I am still confused on this new policy.. Andy or anyone... can you please clalrify..when does it come into effect & how does it apply to cruises book more than a yr ago?

We are past final payment date on a cruise that was booked well before May... Price just dropped $400 on our CC stateroom. The rep. tried to tell me I could only get an upgrade but everyone else on our CC bd got a ship bd or credit card credit--only when I persisted did i get the ship bd credit.

Truth is we already booked & paid for two excursions & did not plan any specialty dining--maybe one spa visit--so it is doubtful we will use the entire $400 credit...They said we'd have to use it or lose it (that's what the policy seems to say) but some on the CC thread say they were told if they did not use it they'd get a refund to their credit card-- Is their a grandfather period on this & why would they get it & not us?

Also: If the upgrade rule is in effect for later bookings, would they have upgraded us to a suite or higher CC class--what if one is not available at the time . In practice I am not following how it will work in the future & we have two more after this one booked on X.

I don't mind following the rules (whihc militate against any early booking in the future) but would like everyone to get the same answers when they call...

I hope this thread keeps going because seeing how it works in reality will be very helpful!

hcat, any cruise booked prior to May 17 should be handled per the prior policy. That means for a price change after final payment you receive refundable OBC for the difference. The only explanation as to why the rep (Celebrity rep, I assume) gave you a hard time about it is that it's still fairly new and s/he was confusing your booking with one made after May 17. The OBC received as a result of the new policy (within 48 hours of booking if past the final payment date) is nonrefundable, but that does not apply to you.

As far as upgrades, it's subjct to availability. They can't give an upgrade if there's no room at the inn. You can upgrade if a cabin is available for the same price, pay the difference if you want to upgrade to a cabin with a higher price, or upgrade to a cabin that's now going for a lower price, but at the same price you were paying. I believe no refund or OBC in the last case, but still a nicer cabin.

Effectively, the only change there should be to the period before final payment is due is that they will honor the 110% guarantee, but only if you choose to take the OBC instead of a fare adjustment.

Here's a link to the news article regarding the new policy--

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3880

Archived