Need help convincing friends

I've got a friend who is trying to get me to go over to Carnival for a cruise in October. The prices are a little better, but my only cruise experience is a 3-night on Royal Caribbean with the Monarch, so I turn to you folks for advice.

I was originally looking at a 4 night on the Monarch and the prices have risen since I started looking, but it's still not terrible (269/pp interior). Friend mentioned she'd like at least five full days, so I looked at the Freedom 7 night (649/pp interior). Now she feels that's too expensive, and keeps pushing that she loves Carnival and the prices are better.

Thing is, even if the prices are better (4 night @ 199/pp interior, or 7 night @ 529/pp interior), I'm concerned that there will be other issues of quality.

Can you help me convince my friend that it's worth it to cruise with RCI? Or should I take the savings and give it a shot? (It looks like the only difference on the 7 night is that RCI goes to Coco Cay for a day while Carnival goes to Nassau... for 5 hours.) Thanks!

Everyone has different opinions about crew, food, look, size of rooms, decor, etc. Try it, see if you like it, all you can say if you cruise with them and like RCCL more is, I prefer them over Carnival.

I've got a friend who is trying to get me to go over to Carnival for a cruise in October. The prices are a little better, but my only cruise experience is a 3-night on Royal Caribbean with the Monarch, so I turn to you folks for advice.

I was originally looking at a 4 night on the Monarch and the prices have risen since I started looking, but it's still not terrible (269/pp interior). Friend mentioned she'd like at least five full days, so I looked at the Freedom 7 night (649/pp interior). Now she feels that's too expensive, and keeps pushing that she loves Carnival and the prices are better.

Thing is, even if the prices are better (4 night @ 199/pp interior, or 7 night @ 529/pp interior), I'm concerned that there will be other issues of quality.

Can you help me convince my friend that it's worth it to cruise with RCI? Or should I take the savings and give it a shot? (It looks like the only difference on the 7 night is that RCI goes to Coco Cay for a day while Carnival goes to Nassau... for 5 hours.) Thanks!

Tell her that if Carnival is THAT much better, than she should pay for YOUR cruise too! Then if it stinks, who cares, it's still a cruise and you didn't pay for it! :)

On a serious note, it always boils down to personal preference. I hope this thread doesn't spin off into RCI vs CCL and everyone bashing features on each.

Just come to an agreement on what you are BOTH willing to spend on the cruise fare and then find the best deal that meets your goal, has the best stops, etc.

One thing to note is the longer cruises tend to be better quality. And the only reason is that the 3 and 4 night cruises on RCI and CCL are the party ships. They are the turn and burn cruises where they jam as many partiers on the ship as possible and sail them 2x a week.

You will find good and bad on EACH! Good luck deciding and enjoy cruising!

We have cruised on both CC and RCI and enjoyed both our cruises. We stick with RCI because we find they offer more for our teens...Rock Climbing wall, FlowRider, ice skating, etc.

However, if it came to a choice between the two for just DH & I, we'd have no problem cruising on either.

On a serious note, it always boils down to personal preference. I hope this thread doesn't spin off into RCI vs CCL and everyone bashing features on each.

I certainly don't want it to turn into that. I just wanted some honest opinion about those who have tried out Carnival and see if I was being unreasonable about not wanting to switch. Maybe I am... :o

I appreciate all the responses so far. Thanks again!

We have cruised on both CC and RCI and enjoyed both our cruises. We stick with RCI because we find they offer more for our teens...Rock Climbing wall, FlowRider, ice skating, etc.

However, if it came to a choice between the two for just DH & I, we'd have no problem cruising on either.

That's a fine point... I'm not terribly concerned about a lot of those things (Monarch only offers the rock climbing wall and I don't care for heights), but options on board are definitely a plus.

I must be a complete noob, but what is DH? Is there an FAQ that describes the acronyms? :)

I cruise Royal pretty much exclusively, since it suits my needs and those of my family at this point in our lives. I have also previously cruised on Carnival, NCL and HAL. All mass market cruise lines offer the same basic product with just enough differences to make them somewhat distinguishable from each other. The Carnival deal sounds pretty good. Cruising with a group is also a lot of fun. Give Carnival a try. In my opinion, you have to try really hard not to have a great time on a cruise.

Eric

I certainly don't want it to turn into that. I just wanted some honest opinion about those who have tried out Carnival and see if I was being unreasonable about not wanting to switch. Maybe I am... :o

I appreciate all the responses so far. Thanks again!

Some may say you're being unreasonable but you're not at all. It's YOUR vacation and you can spend YOUR money any way YOU want!

Personally I have no interest in cruising CCL simply for the decor. From what I've seen (pictures and in person) they are wholly unattractive to me. To each their own.

How do you know you don't like something if you haven't tried it? Just asking - I would try it before you decide you don't like it.

Per my signature I have tried just about all cruise lines and hope to try them all someday!

Good Luck

A suggestion: perhaps you could do some research on the two ships you are considering for your cruise.

Read the reviews, browse the forums, look at pictures on the internet, check out youtube.

Get an idea of what each ship has to offer, how it looks, etc.

What is it you really want?

a short cruise versus a longer one?

a cheap one vs moderately priced?

I would say to go for it...I am frequent CCL more than RCCL and it is not that I prefer them, I think it is more that is who I first cruised with and they have better prices a lot of the time so we sail with them a bit more ofter. However, we have sailed other lines and will sail any other line as long as it is something that we have an interest in.

I don't think if you have only cruise once you will have a hard time cruising with CCL over RCCL.

CCL ships tend to be decorated a bit loudly and more artsy where the RCCL ships are more subdued and "classier"(and I only say that for lack of a better word, I find classy and un-classy people on both lines)

As far as Cococay over Nassau, that is a hard one... I enjoy both, more to do in Nassau but Cococay is great if you love the beach, but not sure I would only let that be my deciding factor if the cruises were the same price and the rest of the intinerary was the same...

Have fun with whatever you choose but I must agree that I don't enjoy a cruise shorter than 5 days, just not enough time to enjoy it all in less days than that...

OK SpeedGeek, I have rather radical views on this, but since you asked I'll share, and it's not going to be what you want to hear.

Either you're old (in your head or otherwise) and very set in your ways and just have to have RCI and nothing else OR you're already decided that there's only one way to cruise (RCI) and the rest is totally worthless. Either way, that makes you snoby and uninterested in cruises millions have found wonderful. Carnival has a good product at an attractive price. Are there better cruises out there? I'm sure. But if you find a great itinerary and price, it could be your cruise and you could have fun. Unless you'd rather go alone on a perfect RCI cruise. Personally, I'm trying RCI for the first time this summer, and I'm sure it'll be great, but I hope that doesn't suck the curiosity and open-mindedness out of me.

I have cruised on both and IMHO they are very similar - you get the same service on Carnival and to me the food is better in the Main Dining Room. In fact my favorite room steward was on Carnival - much better than we have had on RCI or Celebrity. Celebrity has larger cabins also. I would also take the longer cruise. ;)

I really appreciate all the input that everyone has provided. And sometimes it takes a slap in the face to realize I'm being silly. I'm going to give CCL a shot, the only real reason I was leaning against was because of Coco Cay and my parents (more seasoned cruisers) view that RCI was 'better'. Why not have the experience myself and decide? If it's horrible, lesson learned. If not, money saved. Either way, it's a new experience :D

All ships (and ship lines) have their pros and cons. We have sailed on almost all of the major cruise lines and have never had a bad one. Some we liked a little better than others because of our personal preference. The advantage of trying different lines is that it gives you a perspective on what you want out of a cruise.

In the end it comes down to personal preference - but how will you know what that is unless you experience what the different cruise lines have to offer?

Archived