BP started Top Kill Procedure on Wednesday

It was a whole segment showing all the people who make their living from the water. Vacation homes, they even showed a guy who takes people out in a boat to watch the dolphins.

I checked the video, and this is the company that was featured:

http://www.dolphincruises.com/

There are several companies in the area doing the same trip. $12 seems like a bargain.

The federal agency tasked with policing the oil/gas industry has come under really heavy criticism for this, and rightly so. They were much too cozy with the people they were inspecting. The agency has already been reorganized so the inspectors and the permit granters aren't the same people, and I think I read that the head of the agency has been fired.

1955 USS Randall NY to Bremerhaven

1958 USS ???? Bremerhaven to NY

2000 Imagination (Miami, GC, Ocho Rios)

2006 Holiday (Mobile, Costa Maya, Coz.. best food)

2007 Triumph (Miami, HMC, San Juan, Grand Turk)

2008 Destiny (San Juan island a day cruise)

2009 Spirit (Alaska is cool, but I didn't need winter clothes.)

2010 Triumph (NOLA, Progresso, Coz if it's not too oily)

Cruisn for Platinum and Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

The federal agency tasked with policing the oil/gas industry has come under really heavy criticism for this, and rightly so. They were much too cozy with the people they were inspecting. The agency has already been reorganized so the inspectors and the permit granters aren't the same people, and I think I read that the head of the agency has been fired.

1955 USS Randall NY to Bremerhaven

1958 USS ???? Bremerhaven to NY

2000 Imagination (Miami, GC, Ocho Rios)

2006 Holiday (Mobile, Costa Maya, Coz.. best food)

2007 Triumph (Miami, HMC, San Juan, Grand Turk)

2008 Destiny (San Juan island a day cruise)

2009 Spirit (Alaska is cool, but I didn't need winter clothes.)

2010 Triumph (NOLA, Progresso, Coz if it's not too oily)

Cruisn for Platinum and Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Yes she has but Salazar still has his job

I know if I did my job like that I would be fired. More important than seeking retribution (or adding 16 levels of checks and balances at the state and/or federal level) is there has to be a way of policing this. Obviously BP does not care about fines, I saw a clip last night that they have had 468 significant fines and the next largest oil company has 8. There has to be a way of making them toe the line.

I know if I did my job like that I would be fired. More important than seeking retribution (or adding 16 levels of checks and balances at the state and/or federal level) is there has to be a way of policing this. Obviously BP does not care about fines, I saw a clip last night that they have had 468 significant fines and the next largest oil company has 8. There has to be a way of making them toe the line.

There are rules and regulations in place but if neither side is enforcing them because of special interests, then what?

I read that every 5 day of this 'spill' equals one Exxon Valdez:mad::(

Yes she has but Salazar still has his job

The president said at a Thursday press conference that he had learned of her resignation from Interior Secretary Ken Salazar earlier that day.:eek:

When you gross almost a billion dollars a day, a fine has to be pretty big to be felt.

The president said at a Thursday press conference that he had learned of her resignation from Interior Secretary Ken Salazar earlier that day.:eek:

Token head chopping is not the answer.....real policy with teeth is.

When you gross almost a billion dollars a day, a fine has to be pretty big to be felt.

I agree, so maybe it is not a fine....something that really hits them where it hurts (don't know what that is).

What a joke.. Salazar's hands are dirty

President learned from him that she resigned? I thought she was fired..

incompetence at the highest levels..

I agree, so maybe it is not a fine....something that really hits them where it hurts (don't know what that is).

Force them to watch the final episode of Lost? :confused:

What a joke.. Salazar's hands are dirty

President learned from him that she resigned? I thought she was fired..

incompetence at the highest levels..

what's that old joke power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolute... maybe the same can be said for incompetence:confused:

Well, honestly, you can stop using oil and gas products. Go solar, stop driving a car, encourage your friends to do the same. If you don't want to do that, well, they have you over a (oil) barrel.

If we're all addicted to oil, we can't shoot our dealers.......

http://cbs4denver.com/politics/Senate.Confirms.Salazar.2.913387.html

The administration's chief response so far was to send out Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to do his best impersonation of a totalitarian thug, proclaiming that the government would "have its boot on the throat of BP."

(Fun fact: While in the Senate, Salazar backed an increase in oil and gas leases in the Gulf Coast region by promoting and voting for the Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act of 2006.)

Since the "blame BP" strategy isn't working, Obama will today announce tougher safety requirements and more rigorous inspections for offshore drilling operations. Sounds nice -- except the problem isn't a lack of safety requirements, it's that the experts at the US Minerals Management Service ignored the existing requirements.

In fact, it was under Salazar's reign that the MMS approved BP's drilling without getting the permits required by law for drilling that might harm endangered species. The agency routinely overruled warnings regarding the safety and environmental impact of drilling proposals in the Gulf.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/where_was_plan_rlt5oDKad55hkqHe64BgqM

Interesting talk show WWL 870 am

turns out we received a lot of good help from Mexico.

I think you can listen online.

Hey I pick up WWL 0870 am here in Florida at night time. It goes out to 38 states at night. I've called in several times, been listening every night lately with the subject being on the oil spill. Tommy Tucker and the other guy, can’t think of his name right now :D

BP is now saying by Sunday morning they should know if it is working...

I want to say that I really appreciate your updates. I can't bare to watch the news on this. You're updates are keeping me informed because I do want to know what's going on, and I can know without getting sick to my stomach.

Thank you :)

Will who recover? The environment? Eventually.... .

I always think of that line in the movie Jurrasic Park...."Nature always finds a way."

I hope this is the case....

This incident still sickens me to death on so many levels.

If we're all addicted to oil, we can't shoot our dealers.......

That's the bottom line isn't it????

Is this going to be the wake up call we needed...or are we going to have an even bigger disaster happen to snap us out of it already????

The procedure continues, but it will be at least Sunday before BP declares success or failure or to be continued.

Amercia certainly seems to be addicted to the various spillcams.

For the home players:

Scientists say the images may offer clues to whether BP is getting the upper hand in its struggle to contain the oil, said Tony Wood, director of the National Spill Control School at Texas A&M University in Corpus Christi. If the stuff coming out of the pipe is jet black, it is mostly oil and BP is losing. If it is whitish, it is mostly gas and BP is also losing.

If it is muddy brown, as it was much of Friday, that may be a sign that BP is starting to win, he said. That "may in fact mean that there's mud coming up and mud coming down as well," which is better than oil coming out, Wood said.

Philip W. Johnson, an engineering professor at the University of Alabama, said the camera appeared to show mostly drilling mud leaking from the well Friday morning, and two of the leaks appeared a little smaller than in the past, suggesting the top kill "may have had a slight but not dramatic effect."

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/05/bp_updates_top_kill_status_sat.html

Archived