537 members have voted

1. 1. "The MDR can BEST be described as ..."

• Ruth's Chris / Maggiano's
    • Cheesecake Factory / Brio / PFChang
    • Olive Garden / Red Lobster / Tony Roma
    • Applebee's / Friday's / Chili's
    • Denny's / Sizzler / Big Boy

Hi, Everyone!

Recently on another thread, several posters challenged my characterization of the MDR as a 5-star restaurant — some described it as "Applebee's" — and others thought is was just basic banquet food.

So that got me wondering ... what restaurant on land would say is the best comparison for the MDR?

I've listed 5 levels of restaurants based solely on my personal experience. Feel free to agree, disagree or offer up a comparison of your own.

I voted for the third choice, because I have not been to either of the first two. I like Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Tony Roma, and most of the MDR to me is just as good as any of these, and often much better. I have rarely been disappointed by the food in Carnival's MDR, and on the few occasions I have been disappointed it hasnt been a big deal, still good food, just probably not my best choice from the menu that night. JMHO.:)

Hi, Everyone!

Recently on another thread, several posters challenged my characterization of the MDR as a 5-star restaurant — some described it as "Applebee's" — and others thought is was just basic banquet food.

So that got me wondering ... what restaurant on land would say is the best comparison for the MDR?

I've listed 5 levels of restaurants based solely on my personal experience. Feel free to agree, disagree or offer up a comparison of your own.

You forgot Chuck E Cheese

There is a tux on the mouse,conga line,singing,announcements,and cafeteria style food.

Steve

I certainly would not call the MDR '5 star'. I put the third choice (it's very comparable to Red Lobster), which isn't too far off from Applebee's or Cheescake Factory (which both I love). No way is it fine dining though.

I didn't vote. I've never heard of the first ones and the last three serve much larger portions of food than the MDR does so to me, it's none of them. I've never been hungry leaving the MDR but I'm always stuffed when I leave the other ones.

As far as the quality of the food, it's hard to judge because they all serve different kinds of food than what the MDR does. At least Red Lobster calls a shrimp a shrimp. Can't tell you how many table mates have ask what a prawn is.

I don't think he mant it to be funny...I am surprised he

didn't say the McDonalds in the back of WalMart*

Oh, I definitely think Steveaaaaa was packaging his opinion in a humorous way — and his characterization is sadly accurate, save for the comparison to a cafeteria (unless cafeterias in eastern Florida offer table service and serve escargot, beef wellington and lobster).

Having worked in hotels a lot I say it is a kind of cross between banquet food and fine dining. The food is good, they are just doing large numbers. I always enjoy the MDR food/service and feel "riped off" when dear spouse wants to just do the lido or room service for dinner.

The supper club is real fine dining on the ships that have them.

Tom in Long Beach

You forgot Chuck E Cheese

There is a tux on the mouse,conga line,singing,announcements,and cafeteria style food.

Steve

LMAO!! Excellent Steve!!

I di think this is a great poll question....seems you have some competition now :D

Then why do some people you want to wear tux/ suit to dinner?

You do not dress that way to go to Olive Garden ,Red Lobster

ect. This is why shorts and t-shirts are fine!

Some people like to live in a fantasy world.

Some people like to live in a fantasy world.

Just the fact that Ruth's Chris is on that list is fantasy!!! :eek: and I can NOT believe that some folks think the mdr food is equivalent to that! :eek:

The supper club is real fine dining on the ships that have them.

I agree completely -- which is why I'm rather surprised that so many posters rated the MDR as an equivalent to Ruth's Chris or Maggiano's, both of which reflect the quality of food and service found in the steakhouse/supper clubs onboard.

Archived