Fake toenails?

I have yellow toenails because of fungus infections. The big two were partially removed. But on the beach and at the pool, I want to wear sandals. Is buying fake toenails smart or should I get a pedicure instead?

You usually cannot cover the nail with polish or a fake nail while you are taking medication for the infection. Ask your Dr about that before you decide what to do. A pedicure is not just about toenail polish- it is an hour (+ or -) treatment for your whole foot. If you are missing part of your nails, there isn't going to be much a tech can do about it. That said, I think everyone should get regular pedicures- I get them every 3-4 weeks year round, sometimes with polish sometimes without. Then you can decide if it is going to look better to put a fake nail on or just polish what you have.

Get a pedicure...putting "fake" nails over fungus is NOT a good idea! There are treatments for that....but they do take a LOOOOONG time to work!

I can guarantee that no one is going to notice your toenails! You'll be surprised at how little attention anyone on a cruise pays to anyone else! Folks are in their own little world!

I already have been treated for fungus infections twice with a medication. That helped a little bit, but the big uglies will always be that way because of the surgeries.

Apparently I am worrying too much if you think nobody notices the results of surgery or fungus infections on toenails.

In most states, it's against state reg. to work on feet with a nail fungus. I used to be a nail tech., and I have fungus. So now I just file that thing down and hide it with polish. I would love wear red, but I don't want to have anyone really looking at them, so I wear a real neutral color.

I will get a mold growth under one of my big toes if I allow them to get too long, which is the main reason I get pedis every 4 weeks.

But, that's not the point. I have no idea how fake toenails will stay on, I think I stub my toes about 10 times a day (clumsy), not hard enough to do a lot of damage, but certainly enough to knock a fake nail off. For a temporary fix, I think they would be fine.

Ocean water is actually beneficial to fungus growth. This is from an article I recently read about fungus treatment. I live close to the ocean, only about a 20 minute drive, so finding time to get there every day is a hassle. But when I get the chance, I always stick my feet into the ocean :)

of having my big toenail removed from fungus, It was bad and I was always ashamed of my toe. For twenty years I hid it behind closed toed shoes. Never barefoot never opened toed shoes.

I now can wear sandles, and am loving every minute of it. Next goal is to get a pedicure, never had one. Maybe maybe a toe nail and nail polish.

The little things that make us happy.

of having my big toenail removed from fungus, It was bad and I was always ashamed of my toe.

How painful was the procedure? What is the success rate for curing the problem?? Toenails grow slowly so I assume it will be a long time until your nail grows back out.

Thanks in advance!!

How painful was the procedure? What is the success rate for curing the problem?? Toenails grow slowly so I assume it will be a long time until your nail grows back out.

Thanks in advance!!

except when I bang it or stub it or the dogs step on it,

The toenail will never grow back they removed the roots

How painful was the procedure? What is the success rate for curing the problem?? Toenails grow slowly so I assume it will be along time until your nail grows back out.

The spray and numbing shots are as painful as a broken bone. I know because I had to suffer both problems. I cried like a baby.

If the fungus goes all the way to the root, the toenail can't grow back. That happened to my mom, who now regrets having the nail removed and gets regular pedicures.

In other words, if you have fungus nails, do not get them removed!

The comment about ocean water gives me one more reason to want fake toenails.

The spray and numbing shots are as painful as a broken bone. I know because I had to suffer both problems. I cried like a baby.

If the fungus goes all the way to the root, the toenail can't grow back. That happened to my mom, who now regrets having the nail removed and gets regular pedicures.

In other words, if you have fungus nails, do not get them removed!

The comment about ocean water gives me one more reason to want fake toenails.

I had no choice in doing this, there was no medicine in the world that would have corrected it. The doctor I had was great and I suffered no discomfort at all from the procedure. I was fully aware going in that I would never have a nail again. But I also was fully aware that I for the first time in 30 years could wear open toed shoes. sandles and sexy shoes. I am extremely happy with my choice

Several years ago I had to have 3 nails removed - both big toes and the one next to the big toe on the right foot. Root was taken so they won't ever grow back.

Because I don't have the nails I have never done a pedicure.

In the summer I just paint the area as if I did have toenails. I have never had a stranger come up and comment about them.

To the poster who asked about the pain. I agree the numbing spray is the most painful part. Them removing the nail was quick, and because of the spray, I didn't feel a thing. I did; however, have to be careful the next few days. The area tends to bleed, and is very tender if it is touched.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait to be able to paint my toenails. I've been treating my big toe for fungus for almost 3 years.I used Loceryl for the first 2.5 years and that was a very slow healing process.Then I discovered the tee tree oil. The good news is that it's almost cleared, but I won't undo the good results by applying lacquer just yet. For my fingernails I just use a clear nail polish. The product I use now and found most effective/ least expensive is Thursday Plantation's Tea Tree Anti-fungal solution for nails...about A$9. The active ingredient is Melaleuca( tee-tree) 50mg/g.

It's an Australian product, but if you can get this product or a similar one, I can highly recommend it.

Hope this helps some of you.:)

My mom buys the fake toenails from the store and wears them for special occasions etc quite often. He toenails don't grow out for some reason. Anyway she loves them, and she just keeps a tube of nail glue around just in case but I don't remember her ever loosing one.

Just have to tell a funny story about the first and only time I ever saw fake toenails! Couple years ago, my daughter and I were going on a cruise with some other moms & daughters. The morning we were leaving, one of the girls came running in my house and she had glued on these loooong, ghoulish white toenails........I first noticed them because she stabbed me in the leg with them giving me a hug!!! They were so funny I laughed until I almost peed my pants! Could NOT stop laughing - I laughed all the way to FL!

Sorry, I know this is totally off topic, but the subject of this post made me think of that story........although the ACTUAL subject is no laughing matter!

Archived