bar service tipping

erdoran

I think that there is automatically a 15% tip added to bar drinks? So when I walk up to the bar and order a $10 drink, I get charged $11.50 which includes a tip, I assume for bartender? So now if I am sitting at the pool and I buy a drink from one of the waitstaff walking by with drinks--or if I order a drink at a show--that same 15% is also on my bill. Should I be tipping ANOTHER 15% for the person who brought my drink? Not to sound cheap (armor on, bracing for the darts & flames) but now I'm up to 30% tip which is a lot on top of an already pricey drink! Yes, I can walk my lazy rear end to the bar and get my own drink most of time time, but more often than not the waitstaff are all over you besides.

so--what's the "right" way to handle drink tipping?

The right way is to sign the check and enjoy the drink. The 15% is pooled. If you find a special server or bartender and want to give a little extra a little cash goes a long way.

I agree. If I find a bartender I like who makes my drink a little special I will tip a buck or two extra. And then I tend to stick with them during their shifts every day/night. Otherwise, I stick with the bar set up.

The 15% is pooled among the bar tender and any servers, so when they hand you the slip and take away your sign-and-sail card to be "swiped", you're done.

Now, if you're like my husband who sits AT the bar and chats the ear off the bartender over the course of 2-3 drinks...then a little extra might be nice... :rolleyes:

I think that the autotip is more than adequate for the normal bar service. We like to find a bar to call home for the cruise and will drop the bar staff a few extra dollars on an occasional basis, as we settle the nightly bar tab.

I also like to treat our usual barman on the last night as he/she has usually contributed a large proportion to our enjoyment of the cruise.

Archived