what month?

CRUISEBEN

we are planing a cruise to Alaska in june or august.

What do you guys think is best and why?:eek:

Many thanks

Ben

Hi Ben!

I have been there in mid-May and mid-August. Both were wonderful trips blessed with great (but variable) weather - Skagway in shorts on the May trip and buying fleece in August at Denali!

That being said, if wildlife is a high priority, I cast my vote for August. Bear watching tours, for instance, will probably not be offered in June. If you want to post specific objectives for your trip, the experienced Alaska cruisers will be able to give you more accurate advice.

Any time is a great time for Alaska. Have a great cruise!

I'm doing research now for a May 2005 trip. April/May seems to best time for the Inside Passage as the warmer weather might affect access. To avoid a lot of children on the ships go before June or after September. I don't like huge crowds so I never go anywhere in the summer months (also prices are higher for everything).

If you are traveling with kids, I understand why the summer months. If, however, that is not an issue, by all means go for May or September. Generally, less crowded. Huge different in rates. Alaska rates seem to have skyrocketed this year, apparently demand-driven. We are sailing the Sapphire out of Seattle Labor Day weekend. Our mini-suite will cost us $400/pp LESS than if we sailed in July or August.

Overall , expect few kids in Alaska compared to the Caribbean, don't plan your trip around that insignificant issue. :) Also don't expect low crowds in either May or Sept. ALL ships are sailing their full schedules by mid May through the end of Sept. So my opinion only- I like mid to Late August- decent daylight, superb wildlife viewing, rare but possible northern lights.

We went with August. True that it is more expensive than the full shoulder season. But that's for a reason. During much of May, Denali touring is impossible because they haven't yet opened the road. I wouldn't consider the trip without time in Denali, so thats a dealbreaker for me. Anything past early September, weather takes a dramatic turn. In September and parts of May, you have a likelihood of no dogsledding if that is of interest. I found August ideal for the berries in season and the salmon run.

There were a handful of kids on on our ship (Princess) ... or at least I only saw a handful. Likely that there could be more, but they clearly weren't an issue for us. Somebody mentioned April. Are there even sailing in April?

As for northern lights past late august, your mainly talking about areas north of Denali. Say outside of Fairbanks to get away from the lights. I've heard incredibly rare stories of seeing them from the ship itself, but don't expect it.

Where do you see the northern lights if so lucky? Trish

BEST is to have internet access and check daily for predictions, web site out of Fairbanks Alaska U. I have seen them from the ship a few times- you need to be willing to be out for several hours and in the middle of the night- from about 1am. Last trip had only one other person out with me- and good viewing sailing toward Skagway. As you can see, very few people are aware or even bother. You need a DARK CLEAR night, meaning if any cloud cover- get your sleep. Hook up with the ship naturalist too - sometimes they have information. But as mentioned, outside of Fairbanks is just excellent. :)

Archived