Costume jewelry??

I enjoy finding just the right accessorries to go with each outfit, I'm not talking about anything fancy, just the cheap stuff they sell in most clothing stores. I have had a hard time keeping most of the silvertone stuff from tarnishing but I guess it's only made to get a few wears out of it, so I toss it and buy new.

I need to find some cute pieces to match mine and my nieces stuff for our cruise and I'd love to discuss were you find your favorite pieces! So where is your favorite place to shop for accessories?

I buy a lot locally in small boutiques, but I also buy a lot at Macy's.

My mother in law has wonderful vintage, bakelite, Sarah Coventry, KJL, etc so I borrow a lot from her, also :)

Sometimes there's cute stuff at the "teeny bopper" stores, like Charlotte Russe, Rue 21, etc. but I try to be careful because I have discovered I really get what I pay for there, have had things barely last the night :/

i am a JEWELRY-holic:DLOVE it ALL...cheap $$$ ...i actually buy the jewelry then decide what i have to wear with it...not very often do i buy the outfit and then the jewelry...usually i already have...each time i tell myself YOU DONT NEED ANYMORE...i GET more:D

some of my favorites are Kohls, Walmart, JCP, Target, Sears, this is where i buy most of my Fashion Jewelry...also QVC, HSN..i am a Clearance and Sale shopper too;)also the craft stores as i make some too.

there was this place in Miami @ Bayside-we stayed at the HI POM pre-cruise...filled with every color of fashion jewelry, purses accessories--i forget the name but i had so much FUN when we were there in January...heck i spent tons of money before i even got on the cruise--GOOD THING there is ALWAYs room for jewelry.

HAVE FUN shoppin!!!

I love costume jewerly and a lot comes with me on a cruise. I do though like my cosutme jewerly to be fun and "say" costume jewerly. I dont buy pieces that I am trying to mask as "real" or "fakes".... It is just fun costume jewerly.

My fav piece is in this picture, although you cant see it very well.... It is a necklace that is multi colored buttons strung in 3 layers... I always get compliments on this everytime I wear it... Another good idea, also in this picture is wooden braclets... No worries about tarnish or "sea" damage, just fun!!

I buy most of my costume jewerly at dept stores or small boutiuqes, mall stands.

1707219037_costumejew.jpg.e381e056e804470f73a9f70772124e1c.jpg

I actually like the better made stuff, especially when I can find it on sale.

I've had cheap earrings break on me when I put them on the very first time. Being so cheap, it's not even worth returning. Other cheap stuff changes colors on my skin, or makes my skin break out. Or, how embarrasing is it to have a piece break whilst you're wearing it :o I've even been shopping with my daughter at stores like Forever 21, and have seen inexpensive costume stuff already broken on display.

But, I have purchased a few pieces at Macys over the years, when it gets down to 75% off, some of it has lasted years. I have a ring I paid $4 for probably 10 years ago and still get compliments on it all the time, even a jeweler liked the cut of "diamond" I was wearing. I didn't tell him it was not even CZ, probably just glass. It just won't break, even at work demonstrating luggage and stuffing my hands into zippered compartments.

Nordstrom has lots of costume stuff on sale during their major events, sometimes you can pick up nice things for half price and you can enjoy it for years.

My definition of value isn't just tied to the price tag. Sometimes the cheap stuff is of no value at all if it doesn't last.

my jewerly is mostly miscellaneous stuff from here and there. I like the kind of stuff they sell on canal street in NYC (Thats where you go to buy bangles, baubles, knock off bags etc) THey have so much fun jewerly there. I dont buy knock off jewerly because i dont really even like the real thing.

i prefer colorful big beaded bracelets, bright pendants, sparkly earrings etc. When i cruise though i hardly bring any jewerly. I usually bring 1 or 2 pair of earrings, a bracelet and maybe a necklace. i try to pack light and dont want to haul around a bag of accessories.

Guest maddycat
Broadway and Canal intersect. If you get on google maps you can see where. The portion of Canal street where the street vendors are with the jewerly are in the Chinatown area. Cash only

It's not with in walking distance of the theater district/Times Square. You'll need to take a bus/subway/taxi to get there.

OK Thanks.

So do you guys say it is worth the trip? We are driving in from Ct so we could go to Chinatown before our 2:00 show. I could talk my husband into this, just want to make sure you think it is worth the trip there.... I assume we could park on the street. In past trips we were able to do this in the fabric district.

Thanks!

i've never driven into the city before. i always take NJ transit and then subway around or walk. there never seems to be a parking spot in sight. you'd have to pay to park somewhere but i couldnt even begin to tel you where. i think its worth it. its crowded on the streets though and you have to bargain. if you're cool with it i'd say go for it

OK Thanks.

So do you guys say it is worth the trip? We are driving in from Ct so we could go to Chinatown before our 2:00 show. I could talk my husband into this, just want to make sure you think it is worth the trip there.... I assume we could park on the street. In past trips we were able to do this in the fabric district.

Thanks!

I wouldn't drive into NYC if you paid me, perfectly good train and subways to use. A closer place to buy costume jewelry and bling is 6th Avenue W36-38th ST. There's also an awesome dress shop I get formal wear at on W37th. Chinatown for me is way too crowded even for driving., and logistically driving wise not good idea with a car, especially if you are pressed for time.. I'd keep your car in midtown then take subway to Chinatown.-makes more sense and you can get to the dock faster this way.I'm just saying

Alrana

Ok... Thanks again!

We are not going on a cruise, so dock not an issue this time. We will be at the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge for a dance competition.... Why a train will not work, too many costumes to lug. We are going a day early to see a 2:00 play on Broadway. But it does make sense to me to park at the hotel (since we have to pay for parking overnight anyway) take a taxi into Manhattan and subway it from there. This is 4th of July week-end so it might even be more crazy than normal.

Never used NYC subways so that too should be an adventure!

I make my own jewelry Lots of crystal and stone designs. I generally buy a cute outfit and then make the jewelry to match. I had a blast designing necklaces, bracelets and earrings for our upcoming cruise.

I like cost plus imports for jewelery, it's cheap stuff, but has a fun, exotic look to it. For earrings, I can't buy at cheap places, because they irritate my ears, so I pretty much have 4 pairs I rotate, some sterling silver teardrops, pearls I inherited, & some small gold drop earrings with little bronze beads at the end. Oh, & some cz studs that must be set in silver, because they don't bug my ears.

• 6 months later...

I just found this thread and I am in the process of starting to look for one more "formal" dress for our next cruise.Then I will get jewelry to match. I bought jewelry for dd and I on e-bay for our last cruise. cheap and fun! You can get any color imaginable! Search for "crystal necklace blue" or whatever piece or color you want and there are thousands of listings. We got three necklace and earring sets and a couple of additional earring sets for maybe $20 tops!

I have been very suprised at the great finds in costume jewelry there. We are talking very of the moment trendy pieces that in general, I would never spend much money on and since there is ALWAYS a coupon, I dont have to.

The trick to finding great pieces, be it jewelry, handbags or clothing is to SHOP ALOT. Most people are schocked when they find out how little I spend on fashion items, but when you see the inventory come in, you can snatch up the bargains.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived