scavi tour and vatican

gizmodog

You'll need to purchase tickets for the Vatican Museums as they aren't included in the cost of your Scavi tour.

You'll have direct access to St. Peter's Basilica following the Scavi tour, but if you are doing the museums as well, you can also get into the Basilica from there without waiting in line.

We did the Scavi tour a few years ago and then when we were finished a private guide met us outside and we proceeded to the Vatican Museums. We bypassed a very long line because she prepurchased any tickets we needed.

I enjoyed the museums so much more with a private guide. I would not have known what I was looking at otherwise. She also guided us through St. Peter's which we also throughly enjoyed. There are many private guides recommended here on cruise critic.

Enjoy, we sure did. It is amazing.

Cheryl

We just did the Scavi tour and it did NOT include entrance into the Vatican Museum. The Vatican is entire place.... If you are wanting to go into St. Peter's Basilica, you may do so after just like everyone else. For free... but you will need to purchase tickets to go into the Vatican Museum. Your Scavi ticket will not serve as a ticket.

The Scavi tour is AWESOME, by the way! One of the most interesting things we did. I am so thankful that we were selected!

We just did the Scavi tour in April; we did it after the Vatican Museum however. You will need to purchase your museum tickets separately, as other have noted. You are (usually) allowed to go directly up into St. Peter's from the Scavi Tour.

The entrance to the Vatican Museum is quite a long way from the entrance to the Basilica. There was a very, very long security line to get into the Basilica, but since we had purchased our Vatican Museum tickets ahead of time (online) we did not have to stand in the line, instead headed right to the museum entrance (quite a hike to the right) and entered with no line at all.

We did the museum without a guide and were fine with that. I'm sure we would have learned much more with a guide, but we were already kind of museumed-out. We ended in the Sistine Chapel and took the 'secret door', which leads right to St. Peter's which you can then enter without going through the long security line.

I enjoyed the Scavi tour a lot; my husband felt kind of claustrophobic and warm though.

We just did the Scavi tour in April; we did it after the Vatican Museum however. You will need to purchase your museum tickets separately, as other have noted. You are (usually) allowed to go directly up into St. Peter's from the Scavi Tour.

The entrance to the Vatican Museum is quite a long way from the entrance to the Basilica. There was a very, very long security line to get into the Basilica, but since we had purchased our Vatican Museum tickets ahead of time (online) we did not have to stand in the line, instead headed right to the museum entrance (quite a hike to the right) and entered with no line at all.

We did the museum without a guide and were fine with that. I'm sure we would have learned much more with a guide, but we were already kind of museumed-out. We ended in the Sistine Chapel and took the 'secret door', which leads right to St. Peter's which you can then enter without going through the long security line.

I enjoyed the Scavi tour a lot; my husband felt kind of claustrophobic and warm though.

Thank you for the info.I am taking the Scavi Tour in Sept. and wondered how claustrophobic your husband got. Was it really small in the walking passages? Also , how long did you allow in the museums and Sistine? I'm thinking of visiting in the same order as you.

The passages are narrow but fairly high; I can get a little claustophobic too, but it didn't bother me. He felt uncomfortable and was glad to get out, but not to the state of panic. You are mostly looking into ancient Roman tombs as well as the purported area of St. Peter's actual gravesite. He's also not as into history as I am and tends not to want to spend a lot of time in museums.

It didn't help that we had a slow group ahead of us; even our guide was getting impatient as we waited and waited for them to move along. Apparently that was not the norm.

We got to St. Peter's Square at 11:45. At first we got in the long security line to get into the Basilica because we didn't realize that the Vatican Museum entrance was not nearby. After talking to some others in line we realized that we needed to go outside the square and to the right and walk around the outside for quite a while to the museum.

Our tickets were for noon, so we really hurried. It seemed like at least a mile, but probably wasn't. There was not much of a line to get in that day, even if you didn't have tickets, but I can't speak for other days.

So by the time we had our passes, had visited the rest room, etc., it was about 12:30. We visited most of the passages and exhibit room, some of them more than once due to getting turned around. We missed one gallery, the Pinacoteca, due to time and having seen enough. We spent a half hour or so eating and resting in the cafeteria.

We went to the Sistine Chapel last. It was very, very, crowded; almost the entire floor was covered with people. We only spent a few minutes there, maybe ten, then exited at the end out the secret door. So we spent about 2-2.5 hours in the museum.

We left the chapel about 2:30 and walked over to where the Scavi tour was to begin at 3:15. We were to be there at 3, and the Swiss Guard would not let us enter early. (The Scavi tour meets to the right of the Basilica). If you have a large bag or backpack you will be asked to check it--to the left of the Basilica). My small pack was fine.

After the tour we walked right up into the church and spent at least an hour walking around there. We were lucky enough to be there during a Mass with the singing, chanting and organ--this was probably around five.

It was a great day. I didn't find the Scavi passages terribly small, but it is an underground excavation, though significantly rebuilt.

What is this Scavi tour you people are talking about? I had never seen the name Scavi. Is it a "must-do" for anybody who enters the Vatican museums?

Here is a thread with quite a bit of information about the Scavi tour:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854634&highlight=scavi

Many other discussions about this tour can be found using the search function.

What is this Scavi tour you people are talking about? I had never seen the name Scavi. Is it a "must-do" for anybody who enters the Vatican museums?

No. It's good, but I sometimes think that its reputation for being hard to book gives it an undeserved reputation.

It's a great tour, but really only a "can't miss" if you are deeply religious and are sure you will see the place St. Peter was buried.

Primarily, it's a Roman catacombs tour (and a good one!). There are a couple of other choices if you want a catacombs tour.

It was a good tour, but certainly not 'unmissable'. The tombs were small to large crypts, above ground in Roman times, that held the bodies or ashes of Roman families. Some of them are in really good condition, with paintings, statuary, funeral niches, etc. (No remains.)

St. Peter's tomb (purported) can only be seen in little bits by peering through various holes and walls.

And I'm sorry, the Scavi tour starts to the LEFT of the basilica, down a level.

We got our Scavi tickets only about a month out; this was for April, though, so maybe summer would be more crowded. You go in a group of 14 or so with a private guide and only so many groups are allowed in during a day.

The best things about our day was skipping the very long security line in St. Peter's Square by going to the Vatican Museum first and exiting through the 'Secret Door'. I've heard it is not always open, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure why the security for the museum was so much less than for the basilica, but it really helped.

I beg to differ. I am completely non-religious and I loved the Scavi for the historical context. It was totally fascinating to me and a huge highlight of my 4th trip to Rome and third visit to the Vatican. However, we were there in January and had a group of just 7 and appeared to be completely alone in the catacombs. The young American priest who was our guide was wonderful.

We also went to the 'real' catacombs which I did not find nearly as interesting; the guide there said there is no limit on the number of guests per tour guide which could make it miserable. It was very commercial vs. the Vatican tour.

As they say, to each his own; I wasn't very impressed by the Secret Doge's tour and some here love it. Also IMO the Sistine Chapel frequently smells like a gymnasium locker room!!

Cathy

I also enjoyed the Scavi tour at St. Peter's. We also had a young American priest as our guide (they have to earn a living while studying in Rome, and our guide told us that this is one of the plum jobs) and one of the things that impressed me most was how carefully secular he was in his descriptions of things. He didn't say "xxx is true", instead, he would say "Catholics believe that ....", it was really refreshing and not at all what I expected.

It came as a bit of a shock, after an hour of carefully non-Catholic descriptions, when we got to the final resting place of St. Peter, and he asked us to join him in prayer. I immediately thought of the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall, which is mostly secular, then at the end there is this over-the-top religious act that closes the show. It almost feels like it comes out of nowhere, which was how I felt at the end of the Scavi tour.

The non-Catholics in the group didn't seem bothered by it at all, so maybe I'm just hyper-sensitive.

I didn't mean to say that I didn't enjoy the Scavi tour; it was great. I just don't think your entire visit to Rome will suffer if it is missed.

Partly this may be because our young guide--I don't think he was a priest--while very nice and earnest just did not have the kind of personality that gives a tour that special feeling. He had the dry facts and figures down, but wasn't as personable as some.

It didn't help that we had a very, very slow group ahead of us, so our guide would finish his talk about each tomb or area and then we would have to stand around in the cramped quarters just waiting. He obviously had run out of things to say and was uncomfortable, tried to make conversation and use the extra time, but was awkward about it. I think it made everyone in our group feel bad for him. He kept apologizing that tours never had to wait like that.

And, you definitely have to have Vatican Museum tickets purchased separately from the Scavi tickets--the two entrances are not at all close together, either.

I did not do the Scavi tour until well after I'd done most other sights in Rome. I enjoyed it a great deal, and I'm not religious. I thought the catacombs of the wealthy Romans were extraordinarily well-preserved, which is where my interests lie anyway....;) I'm not sure I'd say it's something one has to do on a first visit to Rome. On the other hand, I'd rate it pretty highly for a return visit of a few days.

My priest was not quite as secular as eurocruiser's......he would allow us just a moment or two to look into the (opulently painted) pagan Roman tombs before rushing us off to gather around a poorly carved, not very interesting sarcophagus in order to drive home to us how poor the early Christians were. This happened several times. :rolleyes: He got after me at one point for lagging behind the group. I had my nose pressed through the grillwork trying to get a better view into a particular tomb.

Once again I agree with CruiseMom. If I only had one day in Rome, I would not spend it underground. But for the return visitor it is a great option.

It may be that I enjoyed it so much because of our guide--very charming and lots of historical tidbits to impart. Also, because of the time of year, we had lots of time for everyone to get their eyeful at each of the tombs. I can imagine that it might get very crowded and slow during the tourist season.

We did have a prayer at the end but being in a Catholic nation, that did not surprise nor offend me. Prayers pop up at the oddest places (like business meetings and sporting events) but at the Vatican it is pretty much a given!

Cathy

I've been in the Vatican, Sistine, and St. Peter's, DH has not. I loved every minute of it. :) Whoever said that the Sistine Chapel smells like a gymnasium locker room, must not have eyes. lol The beauty of that room was overpowering to any smells that might be there, IMO. ;) I am looking forward to going back with my husband. Although he majored in history, he is not as crazy about historic tours as I am. So....

Neither of us have been on the Scavi tour. Outside of the religious aspect (of which we are, but are not Catholic,) would you say it's a not to be missed attraction, as compared to the Terrace Houses in Ephesus? To me, that was extremely interesting, for we saw how the wealthy pnce lived, and not where the dead were buried. :rolleyes:

Also, how much is the tour?

........Neither of us have been on the Scavi tour. Outside of the religious aspect (of which we are, but are not Catholic,) would you say it's a not to be missed attraction, as compared to the Terrace Houses in Ephesus? To me, that was extremely interesting, for we saw how the wealthy pnce lived, and not where the dead were buried. :rolleyes:

Also, how much is the tour?

I can only answer your last question because we don't go on the tour until September. However, we did just pay for and receive our tickets, and they were $12 Euros per person. We're really looking forward to this tour.

Neither of us have been on the Scavi tour. Outside of the religious aspect (of which we are, but are not Catholic,) would you say it's a not to be missed attraction, as compared to the Terrace Houses in Ephesus? To me, that was extremely interesting, for we saw how the wealthy pnce lived, and not where the dead were buried. :rolleyes:

I am not deeply religious (and not Catholic) but I enjoyed the Scavi tour very much from a historical standpoint. The necropolis was covered (filled in with earth to support the weight of the Cathedral above), so when it was uncovered relatively recently, the colors in the tombs are still quite vivid, unlike some of the other necropoli I've visited. And the tombs were more ornate than those you'll see in the catacombs, for the most part.

Overall, I guess I wouldn't rate it as highly as the Terrace Houses, but you've got the right idea in that they are somewhat similar and uniquely revealing about the details of ancient Romans -- in death, they still tell a lot about their lives and beliefs.

Thanks, Becky!

Just what I needed to know, cruisemom42. If I can talk DH into it, I'd like to see it. I think it worth the 12 euro. I just worry about the length of the tour, along with seeing the rest of the Vatican City. I didn't think about claustrophobia until you mentioned that the necropolis was covered over with dirt to support the cathedral. Makes you feel a little scared to be walking under all that weight. :eek:

Thanks, Becky!

Just what I needed to know, cruisemom42. If I can talk DH into it, I'd like to see it. I think it worth the 12 euro. I just worry about the length of the tour, along with seeing the rest of the Vatican City. I didn't think about claustrophobia until you mentioned that the necropolis was covered over with dirt to support the cathedral. Makes you feel a little scared to be walking under all that weight. :eek:

Not to worry; they removed the earth very strategically and added some support beams while the excavations were ongoing. However, it could be a little claustrophobic for some due to the narrow passages.

Archived