safety on cruise ships

Never...but then, I have never put myself or my children in a position to be in an unsafe incident.

I don't drink to much (so I am total control of myself)...my children have always been supervised (they are grown now)....

so it's all good.

we had a family separated with 2 cabins (we were between-- why they didn't want ours is beyond me). Anyway, they yelled across the balconies to communicate & we finally called security to complain. The father was a rather large man & we tried to avoid him.

I'm the orinigal poster. I am trying to determine how closely to supervise a 16yr old grandaughter. Obviously she is going to want freedom and I don't want to treat her like a baby but I want her to be safe,

The vast majority of the Carnival security personnel come from the Indian Army. I would not want to mess with them.

Doc

In the last year or so they have also been adding a number of ex-Israeli military. Very competent bunch, I would definitely recommend not messing with them.:eek:

I'm the orinigal poster. I am trying to determine how closely to supervise a 16yr old grandaughter. Obviously she is going to want freedom and I don't want to treat her like a baby but I want her to be safe,

Objectively now ... does she possess common sense? And I mean that in the nicest way possible. I was severely lacking in common sense at 16 and would have gotten in a lot of trouble if not for my friends who possessed common sense. I would do stupid stuff like go hang out with guys in their room, cruise for older guys to buy me drinks, go places I wasn't supposed to. If she's not like that, I wouldn't put her on as short a leash. I would also suggest she at least look into the Teen Club thing, so at least she has somewhere to hang out where you can go look for her. ;)

In the last year or so they have also been adding a number of ex-Israeli military. Very competent bunch, I would definitely recommend not messing with them.:eek:

No, but not as downright scary as the ex-South African commandos.

At 16, I dont think Id let her run around at night, too many men who might be hitting on her.

If she is the type to hang around camp carnival and stay chaperoned, then fine, no worries.

We never had a problem and I took my 18 year old daughter on a cruise just the two of us. I wanted her to feel like she could have a little freedom on the ship. I would definitely have a system with her to let you know where she is and check in frequently. If you stay in the cabin, there is a "house phone" around where she could call to "check in" if she was out and you were in the cabin. She needs to realize that being on the ship is like being at the mall, and common sense prevails. Most 16 years old could handle this well. during the day and evening is fine. My daughter had a curfew of 11pm with possible extension if she checked in and was at something on the ship. With the freedom she had, she was often back in the cabin by 10pm. I would not allow a 16 to be alone around the ship after 10 or 11 at night.

OP:

Remember you will be in a small floating city. So if you use common sense

then you should be OK.

We never have had a issue. But we will only allow our kids travel in a buddy

system. They are not allowed to be alone in the hallways, etc. Our kids have

never had a issue, but they know the rules and know if they are broken only

once they short leash will come out.

If this is true, Heaven help any wrong-doer. I was a boat coxswain for a SEAL team in VietNam (I was not a SEAL or UDT, just their chauffer/go-fer). There was a squad from the Israeli equivalent hanging out to get some training. Great, wonderful guys but bad, bad mofo's in a fight.

Would you let her walk around alone down town at the river walk area?

It is not that bad, but remember there are really no laws to protect her if something happens. If she is street smart enought for that area of your town, she will be fine, if not, then ...

We were on a family cruise to Bermuda with all sorts of siblings and in-laws, among whom was a 16 year old -- our niece -- a level-headed, responsible young lady. One evening mid-cruise, she was no where to be found -- and after a few hours of waiting -- well past midnight -- we got security involved. To make a long story short, she was found in the main theatre's projection booth with a 24 year old staff member. "Nothing" was happening, but she had a rum punch in her hand and a couple in her system. The staff member left the ship the following morning.

Things DO happen on cruise ships --

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. When I was on the conquest, they had a security guard in front of the dance club at night to ID people make sure they are over 18, and the bartenders will ID for alcohol, over 21.

Let her have fun, enroll her in Camp Carnival so that she can make some friends around her age.

The vast majority of the Carnival security personnel come from the Indian Army. I would not want to mess with them. Doc
"Tho' I've belted you and flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

I cruise with my 14yoDD and 11yo DS. We go through guidelines with them before we get on the cruise.

For my daughter...she is not allowed to hang out with a boy alone. She must be with the group which includes girls.

After the activities are over at night, she needs to come to the cabin and let us know she is back.

We also keep a pen and paper in the room to write notes if we miss each other at other times of the day.

She is not allowed in any other cabins, no matter what.

She is not allowed to wander the ship by herself. She can go back and forth to the club, but that is it. Otherwise she needs to be with the group.

If she is not with the O2 club, she needs to let us know. This has never been an issue since she has always hung out with the O2 kids.

Talk to your grand daughter about the safety she uses every day and have her take those guidelines with her on your cruise.

Objectively now ... does she possess common sense? And I mean that in the nicest way possible. I was severely lacking in common sense at 16 and would have gotten in a lot of trouble if not for my friends who possessed common sense. I would do stupid stuff like go hang out with guys in their room, cruise for older guys to buy me drinks, go places I wasn't supposed to. If she's not like that, I wouldn't put her on as short a leash. I would also suggest she at least look into the Teen Club thing, so at least she has somewhere to hang out where you can go look for her. ;)

I used to love girls like you :D

I cruise with my 14yoDD and 11yo DS. We go through guidelines with them before we get on the cruise.

For my daughter...she is not allowed to hang out with a boy alone. She must be with the group which includes girls.

After the activities are over at night, she needs to come to the cabin and let us know she is back.

We also keep a pen and paper in the room to write notes if we miss each other at other times of the day.

She is not allowed in any other cabins, no matter what.

She is not allowed to wander the ship by herself. She can go back and forth to the club, but that is it. Otherwise she needs to be with the group.

If she is not with the O2 club, she needs to let us know. This has never been an issue since she has always hung out with the O2 kids.

Talk to your grand daughter about the safety she uses every day and have her take those guidelines with her on your cruise.

Good advice.

I am too paranoid, I wouldn't let my daughter roam the ship at any age under 18.

I have posted about this before. There was a incident on my last (3/2010) cruise that made me realize that cabin hallways may not be safe for young ladies. I will NOT allow my 2 DD-11 to walk to cabin or down any cabin hallways alone (and not even together) on our cruise this August. I was walking back to my cabin alone (I am 36) and there were 2 drunk guys (in their 20's) in the hallway. One guy was chasing after/harassing a female room steward (who was hauling a$$ to get away from them) and the other guy was in his underwear. They had their cabin open and music playing. I didn't know what I was walking into until it was too late. The underwear guy grabbed me and started to...like...dirty dance with me. I had to forcefully pull away and hustle out of there. My heart was racing, as I hoped he didn't follow after me. He didn't, but he slurred something like "if you wanna ------, my cabin # is----". If that was your 16 year old, would she have been able to get away? Would those guys have been more determined/forceful with her than they were with me (being a 36 year old mom)? I wouldn't risk her walking around alone. Just my 2 cents.

I have posted about this before. There was a incident on my last (3/2010) cruise that made me realize that cabin hallways may not be safe for young ladies. I will NOT allow my 2 DD-11 to walk to cabin or down any cabin hallways alone (and not even together) on our cruise this August. I was walking back to my cabin alone (I am 36) and there were 2 drunk guys (in their 20's) in the hallway. One guy was chasing after/harassing a female room steward (who was hauling a$$ to get away from them) and the other guy was in his underwear. They had their cabin open and music playing. I didn't know what I was walking into until it was too late. The underwear guy grabbed me and started to...like...dirty dance with me. I had to forcefully pull away and hustle out of there. My heart was racing, as I hoped he didn't follow after me. He didn't, but he slurred something like "if you wanna ------, my cabin # is----". If that was your 16 year old, would she have been able to get away? Would those guys have been more determined/forceful with her than they were with me (being a 36 year old mom)? I wouldn't risk her walking around alone. Just my 2 cents.

What did security say/do when you contacted them?

Archived