What to do with golf clubs?

We are going to be in Miami for over a week for my husband's work prior to leaving for our cruise from Tampa.

Initially we were going to drive from TX but now we ended up booking flights last night. We will be renting a car but only up until the night before the cruise and then we'll either shuttle to the cruise or take a taxi. The problem is my husband has to bring his golf clubs as he is golfing with customers (The Blue Monster at the Doral) which he can't pass up on. Do we check the golf clubs or carry them on (a real PITA)? He will also have to bring on his laptop too.

Also, if we do carry on, can the cabin steward store for us? Don't want to have the clubs and four people all in one room if we can avoid it.

I dont know of any storage that Id give my steward a tip and hope the golf clubs were safe for a week. If so, people would be storing car seats and all kinds of things they have to deal with in their cabins.

Im picturing putting each golf club thru the xray machine, one by one. My sister's cane has to be xrayed to make sure it isnt hollow and a weapon inside, so Im betting golf clubs do too. I cant picture carrying them on.

Id call carnival and see about checking them the way a bicycle is checked when you board for later use.

I have two suggestions, hopefully one of them will work.

1. Do you have family or friends at home or a trusted neighbor that you trust to hold them for you? If so, simply go to the nearest UPS store or Fed Ex and ship them home to the friend or family. I have done this many times to save on the outrageous baggage fees on the discount airlines. It should cost no more than $20-$30 max from down there and that is with insurance. If you take this route tell him to take the clubs out of the bag before putting the bag and clubs in a box. This will keep the clubs from getting broken at the top edge of the bag.

2. You mentioned that he was playing at Doral. Doral is a very nice club and one of the amenities they offer is club storage. I know that this is usually free for guests during their stay, but your husband may be able to work something out with one of the pros for a little consideration($$$);) to store his clubs while you are cruising and then you could swing by and pick them up afterwards.

Hope you get something worked out!

My husband brings his clubs and usually golfs in one port on our cruises.

He checks the clubs his have a travel cover which I am sure your husband probably does to.

On the ship the bag and all actually fit quite nicely between the bed and window in an ocean view room not sure in a balcony but I am sure you can find a place to tuck them out of the way

I've taken my clubs with me on the cruise before. I'm sure your husband has a travel case. They go thru with your checked luggage.

If he gets a ship sponsered golf excursion, I'm sure he could talk to the on board golf pro and the pro will store the clubs for him.

There a great amount of space under the beds. I would be surprised if they

will not fit under the bed. The 2nd option is in the 1st closet where you hang clothes. You might be able to place them in the very back. This really

depends on how much hanging clothes you have.

I've heard the best thing to do with golf clubs is smash up cheating husband's and their vehicle as they try to get away. You might have to buy new clubs but you'll do so with a smile and a $750 million settlement;)

Archived