In "My Time Dining", Do We Need To Dress Up On Formal Nights?

It's my "Time", not my "Fashion".

If you don't want to dress up on formal nights, no problem....just eat at the Windjammer or one of the other more casual venues.

Very well said. I'm not sure what "resort casual" is :rolleyes: If it is nicely dressed, no problem.

From the RCI website..........and no where does it state that men MUST wear collard shirts.

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

In normal usage, a collarless shirt is a T-shirt not a sports shirt.

Not all collarless shirts are t-shirts. My husband actually owns three collarless dress shirts that he wears with his dinner jacket.

Yes, and I've seen men in a silk or brushed cotton mock turtleneck short sleeved shirt that looks very stylish, despite not having a true collar. Sometimes this style shirt is worn with a jacket, sometimes not, depending on how dressy the event.

Hello......sHa_wave2.gif

We haven't cruised on Royal Caribbean in a few years and I am DELIGHTED that there is now "My Time Dining".....!!! icon14.gificon14.gif

I must admit that we are used to NCL's, "resort casual" dress at Dinner time and I would prefer to not have to pack a suit for my DH or dressy dresses for me.

So, I was wondering, is it acceptable to wear "resort casual" to "My Time Dining" Dinners on Formal Nights?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.....!!! sHa_thumbsup2.gif

Thank You.....!!! :)

Ahhh! The great dress code debate. Wear what you want. It's your vacation. Yes, it is suggested formal dress on certain nights, but we've done MTD and dressed formally and then not formal at all. We felt no scorn either way.

Enjoy your vacation!

From the RCI website..........and no where does it state that men MUST wear collard shirts.

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

When we signed up for dinner in Portofino on the ship, we were told that my husband must wear a collard shirt. We did see a group of people in shorts and t-shirts try to enter Portofino on the same night we dined, and they were asked to change before being seated. They said no problem, and went back to their cabins to change. We were seated behind them.

When we signed up for dinner in Portofino on the ship, we were told that my husband must wear a collard shirt. We did see a group of people in shorts and t-shirts try to enter Portofino on the same night we dined, and they were asked to change before being seated. They said no problem, and went back to their cabins to change. We were seated behind them.

Smart Casual is the suggested dress for both Specialty Restaurants but that doesn't necessary mean a collared shirt with jacket and tie. My husband will wear a Tommy Bahama button down or he will wear a silk pull over polo that has no collar and he has never been asked to change.

I do understand shorts and t-shirts though. I don't even like seeing that in the MDR.

Not all collarless shirts are t-shirts. My husband actually owns three collarless dress shirts that he wears with his dinner jacket.
He owns shirts he wears with his dinner jacket, and I'm sure they look nice, but if they're collarless, they're not dress shirts. (IMO)

A collarless dress shirt is as oxymoronic as a short sleeve dress shirt.

He owns shirts he wears with his dinner jacket, and I'm sure they look nice, but if they're collarless, they're not dress shirts. (IMO)

A collarless dress shirt is as oxymoronic as a short sleeve dress shirt.

I think if you Google "Collarless Dress Shirts" you might be surprised at what you find...........specifically "Nehru" Collard shirts. They are short sleeved and button down.

Smart Casual is the suggested dress for both Specialty Restaurants but that doesn't necessary mean a collared shirt with jacket and tie. My husband will wear a Tommy Bahama button down or he will wear a silk pull over polo that has no collar and he has never been asked to change.

I do understand shorts and t-shirts though. I don't even like seeing that in the MDR.

They did not suggest a jacket and tie, just a collard shirt.

I think the magic word is "guideline"..In case people don't know how to dress, it spells it out for them, loud and clear. Why is this so difficult for people to comprehend???? If you don't want to follow the suggested guidelines for appropriate dressing on RCCL/Celebrity/Princess, then people should just cruise on a ship where there are no 'suggested dress guidelines". NCL has the "dress up or not" formal nights and most folks know that is a much more casual ship to start with. However,that is also, is a 'suggested guideline as to dressing!

No Flaming, please JMO!!! It just so boring reading the "same ole', same ole', with regard to how to dress. Yes, we know its your vacation, otherwise you wouldn't be cruisin' :-)

Have fun and above all, be safe.

If a no-collared gentleman in dockers traveling aft full stride carrying a lead pipe passes a tuxedo-ed man with a candlestick strolling forward toward the library AND an evening gowned elderly lady port-side holding a rope looks across and sees the the starboard young blond in the sparkly top and black pants with a wrench in hand...Is the cruise over? Does anyone have a CLUE?

If a no-collared gentleman in dockers traveling aft full stride carrying a lead pipe passes a tuxedo-ed man with a candlestick strolling forward toward the library AND an evening gowned elderly lady port-side holding a rope looks across and sees the the starboard young blond in the sparkly top and black pants with a wrench in hand...Is the cruise over? Does anyone have a CLUE?

LOL, my thoughts exactly.

• 1 month later...
It's your vacation do as you wish...

Trust me if a person really down dresses, there will always be people who will think not very nice things about that person, but that's about it...the staff won't say anything.

However if you wear something that you would wear to church, or an early evening cocktail party, or even to the office, not many will even think anything of it. So since you are concerned about others feelings, don't dress too down, be kind.

One jersey dress (different changes of jewelry or jackets) will do well & not take up much room. A nice blazer with a tie or 2 for your guy (he can wear it to board if it's chilly-saves packing)can work for him. Just turn the photogs away if you don't want a formal night pic.:eek:

From what I have been reading, some of the waiters are now telling people not to worry about dressing up on formal night and to PLEASE come to dinner.

We were on the Monarch 4 night cruise with our 2 grandsons over Memorial Day. The night before formal night we told our waiter we would not be there the next night because we had not brought formal clothes. He told us we were welcome to come without formal clothes and urged us to come anyway. We ate in the Windjammer on formal night, but thought it was interesting that he said it didn't matter that we didn't have formal clothes.

What about kids 17 and under? Do boys need a sport coat?

Not a bad idea - you don't even have to spend a lot of money. My hubby has a very nice sport coat we got at a used clothing store for $4. Add nice slacks, dress shirt and tie and he's good to go.

And depending on the age of the teen you could remind him he'll be a chick magnet if he's dressed up.

Hello......sHa_wave2.gif

We haven't cruised on Royal Caribbean in a few years and I am DELIGHTED that there is now "My Time Dining".....!!! icon14.gificon14.gif

I must admit that we are used to NCL's, "resort casual" dress at Dinner time and I would prefer to not have to pack a suit for my DH or dressy dresses for me.

So, I was wondering, is it acceptable to wear "resort casual" to "My Time Dining" Dinners on Formal Nights?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.....!!! sHa_thumbsup2.gif

Thank You.....!!! :)

No!

We were on the Monarch 4 night cruise with our 2 grandsons over Memorial Day. The night before formal night we told our waiter we would not be there the next night because we had not brought formal clothes. He told us we were welcome to come without formal clothes and urged us to come anyway. We ate in the Windjammer on formal night, but thought it was interesting that he said it didn't matter that we didn't have formal clothes.

He wanted his TIPS!

On my last cruise with RC the waitstaff in the dining room with My Time Dining made it clear to everyone that formal wear wasn't expected in there. The diners who chose not to be formal were still dressed as nicely as any other evening. On my next cruise in September I am not planning on dressing up on formal night. I am recovering from an ankle injury and will have to wear a brace- making a dress and heels impossible. I plan on going to a specialty restaurant one night, but I will not feel uncomfortable in the dining room on the other formal night as long as I am dressed respectfully. It is your vacation and as long as your dressed neatly, enjoy dinner in the dining room.

Archived