Lindblad's Egypt itineraries

• 1 month later...

We are also looking at this trip - I have looked all over (googling) trying to find reviews of these trips. The only thing I found was on the National Geographic website - they have a video with some participant's reviews. I realize this is biased, but it was the only thing I could find. Also, there is a web seminar on there by the NG coordinator that talks about the trip. I haven't watched the whole thing (it's 45 minutes long) but it might answer some questions.

We are looking at going in Oct. 2011, the schedule in not out yet. I called and they said they schedule about a year out, so it should be out in the fall. Also, my other question was if airfare from the US is included in the listed price and it is not, but they do have an air coordinator that will help.

• 1 month later...

My DH and I were lucky enough to tour with Lindblad in Feb-Mar 2010. Two couples we know had raved about this trip so we decided to follow suit and are glad we did. It's a real five-star excursion: hotels, ship, food, Egyptologist; and the wonders are amazing. Worth every penny (and there are a lot of pennies.)

Hey! Thanks for responding - I've been looking here everyday and was beginning to think the only people who had taken this trip worked for National Geographic :)

It is a very expensive trip, at least for us, would be our most pricy vacation yet. BUT - I figure we're only going to go once, they seem to stop at every "wonder" I've ever heard about with them included in the price (unlike other tours I've seen), and I really want it to be an educational experience not just a stop and stare trip.

Any advice you'd offer or things you would have done differently if you knew about them before you took the trip?

Just hungry for info - not much out there -

Thanks again -

We are also looking into Egypt with Lindblad in 2011, and the Egypt catalogue arrived today! We have traveled with Lindblad twice before, and find traveling with them the best way to go. They have only first class hotels,ship, guides, etc. I, too, would like to find some reviews from people who have done the Lindblad Egypt trip.

Hey Janet! When are you looking at going? We are thinking October or November of 2011. We are from a hot climate (Calif. desert - gets up to around 115 here in the summer) and would like to go when it's a little cooler. We get enough heat!

The optional pre-trip package to Alexandria looks good too - we might add that on if they keep the $1,000 off special going. That would pay for the pre-trip. I am also hoping they have special air rates or chartered air. Going from CA right now is running about $3,000 to get to Cairo and back.

NG has send us a couple of emails with air specialas for other trips - Antarctic and Galapagos, so I'm hoping they have something for this trip too.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the Lindblad tour to Egypt in Nov and very excited. I would really be interested in knowing acceptable dress both on land and on the ship. Also, how dressed up was everyone for the welcoming and bon voyage dinners. Really hoping someone can provide information that will help with packing. Thanks in advance.

In answer to some questions re dress, all clothes except for welcome dinner and goodbye party were very casual and comfortable. After all, the trip is an "expedition." Some men wore shorts. I wore the same outfit to both first and last party: dressy top with black pants. Only one man wore a suit!

I can't think of anything I would have done differently except something that would be considered too late for people to change if they are going this year and have already arranged air travel. I wish we had spent one extra day at the Mena House, just to relax and unwind. Because of heavy traffic and delays the last tour day, there were no options for an afternoon on one's own, which is advertised. I wanted to visit the Galer Anderson House in Cairo, which was highly recommended, but never got there.

No need to bring any antibiotics with you. One can buy them cheaply over the counter, and your Egyptologist can get them for you, or when you are at the Four Seasons hotel in Giza, the pharmacy is a less than five minute walk away. The guy who runs it speaks excellent English. Because I arrived in Egypt with a virus, he and I became friends.

• 4 weeks later...

Fabby50,

I don't know if your question about dress was in relation to the cruise itself or the country. I can't speak for the cruise, but I have visited the country more than once and have seen the local reaction to certain sorts of dress.

The Koran requires both genders to dress "modestly". (Yes, I know the girls in Cairo wear head scarves with tight jeans, but they are young and local)

In most predominately Muslim countries, that means, for both men and women, covering your legs at least to the knees, your shoulders, your arms at least to the elbows and, for women, not showing any cleavage at all. Ideally tops should cover your bottom if you are wearing trousers, but that is an ideal.

All clothing, for both sexes, should be lose fitting.

A scarf is required (for women) in mosques, but not generally in other settings.

You will see tourists in tight camisole tops with mini-skirts or short shorts and men in tank tops, but IMO this is rude and disrespectful (or perhaps just ignorant).

I am female and found long loose linen or cotton trousers or ankle length skirts and loose linen shirts and tops to be comfortable, cool and respectable. Pale green, grey or khaki works best because darker colours show the pale dust.

The first trip I brought a pair of black trousers and looked very silly after 10 minutes of walking outside, although they would be fine for the ship.

My trips to Egypt were mostly solo, so respect was also important to my safety, but as a guest in someone else's country, fitting in seems a matter of curtsey.

Egypt is a fascinating country full of smart people with a great sense of humour. You will have a terrific time.

Don't forget the hat and sunglasses though.

And I agree with Schwerin about the Mena House, especially if you can get a room with a balcony facing the pyramids.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, all. Anyone booked on the February 2011 Egypt trip with Lindblad? We booked the Petra add-on, but not Alexandria due to the timing. We would love any advice from past Lindblad cruisers to Egypt. Also, any tips on free time in Cairo (sights, restaurants, etc.). Thank you so much!

• 2 months later...

Yacruisegirl, in light of the current revolution in Egypt, what is your status? DH and I took the 14-day Lindblad trip last Feb. and are following the chaos with much concern. He emailed our Egyptologist this morning but emails are blocked at that end.

Also, any tips on free time in Cairo (sights, restaurants, etc.).

I hope you are able to make this trip. It doesn't look good for February.

We did this trip in October, 2010. It was fantastic. I think the higher price of the Lindblad trip is justified based on the quality of the accomodations, the boat, & the guides.

In answer to your question about free time in Cairo, there isn't any except before the tour starts. We also did the Jordan extension which I highly recommend. The only free time there was the evening in Amman & the afternoon of the arrival at the Dead Sea.

• 4 months later...

My husband and I did this trip in spring, 2007. I am happy to answer any questions. In a nutshell, it was an amazing trip. They keep you busy visiting the various sites every day, but also intersperse some less labor-intensive activities, such as an afternoon sail in a small sailboat with a local captain. The guides were very knowledgeable, accessible and charming. The chartered ship was pretty luxurious, with larger staterooms that I expected.

One warning - don't eat the street food! I ate two fava beans from a street vendor and spent 24 hours in bed, throwing up.

I check this website regularly. If you have any questions, don't be shy. I will respond within a few days.

Archived