Have you ever considered a "you drive it" canal boat vacation?

jcrandle

35 years ago, DW and I booked a narrowboat rental in the English canal system. We picked up our one week rental at Atherstone, and cruised the Ashby Canal, including a brief visit to the Grand Union canal. We picked this canal as we were virgins in canal boating, and were concerned with working the locks. The Ashby had no locks, and in our one week cruise, we only encountered three locks.

We had a marvelous time, meeting many other canal cruisers who were generous with advice and assistance. We took full advantage of the many canalside pubs and restaurants, but had the opportunity to cook our breakfast on the boat - Love that English bacon - while having sandwiches or pub fare for lunch.

This trip was BC (Before Children). Last year, we decided to go back to the mother country with DW and DSIL for an AD (After Daughters) canal boat trip. This time we started in the border between Wales and Shropshire because we wanted to cruise the Llangollen canal and cross the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, an iron trough that crosses the Dee river 120 feet above the river level.

The four of us picked up our boat, the Stafford, at Trevor Basin, not far from Langollen, We were given 45 minute intro to operation of the boat. There was also a comprehensive book included that had ample detail about the boat, which was good considering our memory. The next 10 days we explored the canal system visiting Llangollen and Chester. We discovered some wonderful canalside pubs, and met some very friendly and helpful people. One of the amazing things was that when we would queue up to go through a lock, other boaters would recognize that we were novices (perhaps it was the accent) and would offer helpful advice, or offer to hold a rope to keep us from drifting. We met so many other boaters who were so much appreciated.

So if you have ever wanted to be your own skipper, make your own cruise, stop when YOU want to (as long as the crew agrees) and have a fabulous time, consider canal boating in the UK.

If you have questions, I'll be happy to respond.

Keep on cruising!

WE have actually done this twice. The first time was 12 years ago. We were given a short lesson on the boat operations and then we cruised the Midi Canal in France for 7 days. Our boys were 6, 11 and 13 at the time. We had the best time. We had quite a few locks to go through. In fact, the boys loved helping with the locks. I remember there was one day that we had very few locks. The boys couldn't wait till the next day for more locks. One morning we were cruising along and noticed all these cars parked alongside the canal. People were picnicing and just waiting around. We asked someone what was going on and were told that everyone was waiting for the Tour De France to come through. So, we stopped and found a small grocery store. Bought enough for lunch, brought it back to the boat and watched the cyclists go by. Every evening we would tie up at a small village, find a restaurant and then in the morning, find a grocery store or butcher shop for breakfast/lunch items. Many times, no one spoke English but we managed.

Then, two years ago, we spent three weeks in Italy/France. The boys (then 16, 21 and 23) requested that we do another canal trip. We did a canal in the Burgundy area of France. Again, it was very nice and relaxing. All the boys helped with the locks.

Many fond memories of these trips.

Karen

I saw this as an option with my time share trade and DW and I have been discussing it. It is on the bucket list before we get too old to handle the boat.

Thanks for posting the information here.

We also did the Canal du Midi a couple of years ago, Castelnaudery to Port Cassafieres ... about 100 locks.

It was such a memorable experience we scheduled another this fall on the Canal du Nivernais in Burgundy.

It's truly a remarkable experience if one is willing to do a little "work", which is actually fun.

We also did the Canal du Midi a couple of years ago, Castelnaudery to Port Cassafieres ... about 100 locks.

It was such a memorable experience we scheduled another this fall on the Canal du Nivernais in Burgundy.

It's truly a remarkable experience if one is willing to do a little "work", which is actually fun.

This is the same canals that we did. Canal du Midi 12 years ago and Nivernais two years ago. What boat company are using? We used "Le Boat" on the Nivernais.

Have a great time!!

Karen

We used to own a narrow boat on the English Canal system we based ourselves in a boatyard at Rugby. The boating community is very friendly and helpful. It is certainly not unusual to hold ropes for each other and wait for following boats before entering the lock. Although you do need to be reasonably fit and healthy for this kind of activity.

The Canal du Midi in France is much wider and so the boats are not narrow and the locks are manned so you do not have to be as fit. We own a house very near the Canal du Midi and August is a very very busy time so maybe best avoided. Also the weather tends to be better in July.

We have also 'self cruised' many many times on the Norfolk Broads in East Anglia which is a system of rivers leading into magnificent Broads (like lakes). There are many pubs along the rivers with moorings outside when you want to stop for a pint and a meal. It is usually advisable to go one size up when choosing your boat. i.e. if the boat says sleeps 4 go for one that sleeps 6!

We are taking our first river cruise on the Danube with Croisieurope in September ... hopefully we will enjoy this just as much!

• 1 year later...

We are 4 adults and want to rent a canal boat on Du Midi in Sept. Are the locks manned?

How hard is it if you have never driven your own boat?

We would like a 7 day rental, luxury or 4 stars.

Is there a lot to see on canal du midi?

Please reply

This is the same canals that we did. Canal du Midi 12 years ago and Nivernais two years ago. What boat company are using? We used "Le Boat" on the Nivernais.

Have a great time!!

Karen

We want to go on Canal Du Midi this summer and will rent a boat and drive it ourselves. Please let me know about your experiences

We want to go on Canal Du Midi this summer and will rent a boat and drive it ourselves. Please let me know about your experiences

We also did Canal du Midi and Nivernais ... Midi is definitely the better voyage.

It's amazing how, with a 15 minute fam tour, they then turn you loose with a boat that can exceed $100,000 in value. Experience does help, but you can get it done. I had quite a bit of experience on sailboats and outboards, but not much on inboard/rudder vessels.

It's not difficult for 98% of your voyage ... basically going forward. Just take your time and don't try to over-control or make last second navigational changes.

The 2% that might give you a bit of stress is that some of the larger ports (E.g., Carcassonne) require you to dock stern first ... back into the dock. The problem is that the boats have the rudder behind the prop and maneuvering in reverse is minimal ... they only like to go straight back. So you need to turn the boat in advance and go straight back, which can be tricky if there is a crosswind or current.

Don't panic if you get into this difficult situation. Go straight in bow first, get off, and use your lines (ropes) to turn the boat around. You will find the people (other boaters) very friendly, and I would be surprised if they don't just come to your aid as you come in if they see you are having trouble (maybe to keep you from crashing into their boat :-)

If you are alone and a bit askew, move forward a bit to get some maneuvering room, turn the wheel over to the max, and give it the gas ... the boat will turn around in about it's own length and you can start over.

The food in the towns along the way is fantastic.

One last tip: You will most likely take bottled water with you ... probably 5-liter jug(s). Don't throw the bottle away until the end. We came into a town and noticed the locals carrying their empty bottles to the local "Cave" to buy their wine. Not Chateau LaFite, but not bad ... especially at 1 Euro per liter.

You will have a wonderful time!

thank you to all who replied. We are so excited, but have not made our boat rental plans, yet, waiting to hear if we need 2 staterooms or 3.

I love France, and rode along side in a car, and vowed to come back to be on the river.

Does anyone know about the weather in Sept?

Which towns are worth it to tie up? Are there reservations needed to tie up in the late afternoon?

Anything else we should know?

thanks. littlear

...clip...

Does anyone know about the weather in Sept?

Which towns are worth it to tie up? Are there reservations needed to tie up in the late afternoon?

Anything else we should know?

thanks. littlear

We enjoyed all of the ports we stopped at. If there is one must-do, it would be Carcassonne. This was a large port, but we did not have any reservation and had no problem finding (and backing-into) a berth. In September, I don't think you will have a problem ... it's the late season.

The side-trip down to Narbonne was worth the effort. Capestang was also quite charming.

One "don't berth overnight" recommendation we received was Beziers. This is the largest city, and we were told crime was a problem ... we just blew-through and parked along the bank downstream.

Last tip(s): If you can, book one-way in the downstream direction. It's a lot easier pulling into a lock and dropping your line over a bollard ... if you're going upstream, your "crew" will have to throw the line up to the top of the lock to get it over the bollard. On Midi, we went through about 100 locks ... it's fun, but adds up to a lot of work if you're going upstream.

We are 4 adults and want to rent a canal boat on Du Midi in Sept. Are the locks manned?

How hard is it if you have never driven your own boat?

We would like a 7 day rental, luxury or 4 stars.

Please reply

You need to open the locks yourself.

Luxury? haha No this is not for you then. Go onto youtube and put in narrowboats to see them.

We did a timeshare swap last year and we absolutely loved it (hubby and I). You get instructions (easy) and off you go. I mainly opened the locks. Hubby did one to say he'd done it. I'm more energetic than him and liked the exercise. I'd also jump off and walk along the tow path. It was so relaxing. We went from Sawely Marina near Nottingham. There were some great pubs which we stopped at (of course).

My husband hasn't stopped raving about it since we got back. We just booked another one at Union Wharf and are taking our friends. We got a 6 berth (4 of us this time) as I think the 4 berth would be to squashy for 4. If you have 4 in the 4 berth you need to put the dining table up to make the bed.

Highly recommend it.

• 5 months later...
You need to open the locks yourself.

Luxury? haha No this is not for you then. Go onto youtube and put in narrowboats to see them.

We did a timeshare swap last year and we absolutely loved it (hubby and I). You get instructions (easy) and off you go. I mainly opened the locks. Hubby did one to say he'd done it. I'm more energetic than him and liked the exercise. I'd also jump off and walk along the tow path. It was so relaxing. We went from Sawely Marina near Nottingham. There were some great pubs which we stopped at (of course).

My husband hasn't stopped raving about it since we got back. We just booked another one at Union Wharf and are taking our friends. We got a 6 berth (4 of us this time) as I think the 4 berth would be to squashy for 4. If you have 4 in the 4 berth you need to put the dining table up to make the bed.

Highly recommend it.

Sayaguru,

What time of year did you go and where did you go from Sawely Marina?

Was it a one way trip or there and back along the same canal? My DW and her DS & DBIL are also considering a time share swap in 2013.

Old Thorny

There's another location that is worth mentioning: the Erie, Oswego, and Cayuga-Seneca Canals in the Finger Lakes district of New York State.

There are several companies that rent canal boats, but most have flat bottoms and are therefore restricted to the canal (meaning you can't go into Cayuga Lake or Seneca Lake). One company (canalcruisers dot com) has v-hull boats that can go in the lakes. We rented the Fair Dinkum several years ago and had a very interesting family vacation. The lake shores have many vineyards (unfortunately most are hard to reach from the water), and the southern end of each lake has an interesting town (Ithaca with Cornell University on Cayuga, Watkins Glen with the racing history at Seneca).

As mentioned above, the other boaters are very eager to help. Your boat is pretty clearly a rental and you have a 1" steel hull - as you approach their mega$$$ fiberglass yachts, there's nothing they would like better than to have you throw them a line!!!

Archived