Worried about Cruise in September????

In 2008 we followed Hurr Ike on our 1st day at Sea and it was overcast, windy, and large swells....we were in the cabin most of the day.

We had great weather in Labadee, MoBay (couldn't do Ocho Rios due to hurricane causing other ships to go there), and Cozumel.

We did miss Grand Cayman due to large swells and not being safe to tender...but this happens often...

so the hurricane did affect our cruise but we still had a great time and enjoyed our cruise.

and yes I fretted a lot that year because there are always storms building and I start watching NOAA like crazy and get obsessed about Africa, wind, storms...:o:D

Were you on my cruise last Aug? (DCL Magic, Aug 16-22) We were Eastern turned Western...while we were disappointed that we didn't get to our original ports, we had great weather at our new ports and a great time! So, I'm trying an Eastern again this year! July 18-Freedom of the Seas. I'm hoping for great weather!!!:D

Yes, we were. Somehow doing two stops at Castaway Cay and great weather more than made up for not being able to get to St. Thomas & St. Martin. For us,it turned into five "sea" days surrounded by two CC days, because we never got off the ship in Cozumel or Georgetown. We did a May FOS Eastern to make up for that:)

Yes, we were. Somehow doing two stops at Castaway Cay and great weather more than made up for not being able to get to St. Thomas & St. Martin. For us,it turned into five "sea" days surrounded by two CC days, because we never got off the ship in Cozumel or Georgetown. We did a May FOS Eastern to make up for that:)

That's funny you were on the same cruise! :D The weather was great. We did get off the ship and walk around Cozumel and in GC we did the turtle farm tour. Did you rebook onboard? We did and then I changed it once the Dream dates came out. Aug. 16-21, come join us!

Did you do any excursions on your FOS Eastern?

My DH and I always cruise in Sept. If a Storm comes up which it has the captain always keeps us far away. One year we even got an extra day because the of the hurricane ( we loved it some did not) we always pick up travel insurance but have never had to cash in on it! Go and enjoy!!!

Yes, travel insurance does cover cancellations and trip delays due to weather. I don't know where people get the idea that "acts of God" are not covered. ( I was in the insurance business for 22 years. )

That's funny you were on the same cruise! :D The weather was great. We did get off the ship and walk around Cozumel and in GC we did the turtle farm tour. Did you rebook onboard? We did and then I changed it once the Dream dates came out. Aug. 16-21, come join us!

Did you do any excursions on your FOS Eastern?

Actually we did rebook on board, but cancelled and booked FOS when Disney Visa scr###d up the 6-months 0% interest promotion and started applying payments to the wrong months.

As much as I like the design of the new ship, I won't pay 10-night prices for 5-night cruises. For about the same as what it would have cost to book that one 5-nighter on the Dream, we were able to book two 7-nighters on FOS (one in May and one in August).

As for excursions, we did a snorkling excursion in St. Martin, and an Island tour in St. Thomas.

Actually we did rebook on board, but cancelled and booked FOS when Disney Visa scr###d up the 6-months 0% interest promotion and started applying payments to the wrong months.

As much as I like the design of the new ship, I won't pay 10-night prices for 5-night cruises. For what it would have cost to book that one 5-nighter on the Dream, we were able to book two 7-nighters on FOS (one in May and one in August).

As for excursions, we did a snorkling excursion in St. Martin, and an Island tour in St. Thomas.

That's too bad the Disney Visa messed up your payments. Are both of your FOS cruise this year? I know you just went on the one (May). The Wonder prices were way to high this summer that's why we're trying FOS...cheaper and longer! The Dream one for next Aug was the cheapest one of the summer, but it looks like a popular one. The price has gone up and the meet thread has alot of people on it. Several of them are from my last cruise (your's too!) The thread is on another board (Dis..don't know if I can post that!)

That's too bad the Disney Visa messed up your payments. Are both of your FOS cruise this year? I know you just went on the one (May). The Wonder prices were way to high this summer that's why we're trying FOS...cheaper and longer! The Dream one for next Aug was the cheapest one of the summer, but it looks like a popular one. The price has gone up and the meet thread has alot of people on it. Several of them are from my last cruise (your's too!) The thread is on another board (Dis..don't know if I can post that!)

We're on FOS this August, FOS Eastern in May 2011 (the same week as the DCL that we cancelled - same ports, same length - ~$1,500 cheaper) and FOS Western in August, 2011. The August FOS was ~$500 less than the DCL 5-day. Between the two, the savings covered the cost of an additional cruise, so we booked the 5-night 2010 NYE Radiance out of Tampa when we were on FOS last month. ~19 nights at sea on RCI for the cost of 12 on DCL

There is plenty of notice and you or ship can run from a hurricane!

I would rather live in a hurricane area than a tornado, volcano, or anearthquake area.

Which i do Galveston Texas

I can almost agree with you...... just add no Hurricanes also lol. :D

We're on FOS this August, FOS Eastern in May 2011 (the same week as the DCL that we cancelled - same ports, same length - ~$1,500 cheaper) and FOS Western in August, 2011. The August FOS was ~$500 less than the DCL 5-day. Between the two, the savings covered the cost of an additional cruise, so we booked the 5-night 2010 NYE Radiance out of Tampa when we were on FOS last month. ~19 nights at sea on RCI for the cost of 12 on DCL

Awesome! I might have to check out the 5 night NYE prices. This is my first RCCL cruise. Do they give a discount if you book onboard? Sounds like FOS is a great ship, since you have a few more booked. I might have to start comparing some prices!:)

Our next cruise will be the Zuiderdam 4 Sept 2010 (Alaska inside passage). Hopefully no storms, but with our luck we are planning for it.

Following that the Oasis of the Seas 12 Feb 2011 (Valentines and 24th anniversary), well outside of storm season so should be ok.

Awesome! I might have to check out the 5 night NYE prices. This is my first RCCL cruise. Do they give a discount if you book onboard? Sounds like FOS is a great ship, since you have a few more booked. I might have to start comparing some prices!:)

As long as you sign up for their loyalty program once you are on board, yes.

Back on topic, I do not worry about weather any time once I'm on the ship. Captains navigate around weather on almost every cruise I've ever been on (they even try to avoid pop-up showers). Getting to/from the ship is another question all together. Get to your port city a day early, and don't schedule any high level meetings for the day after you are scheduled to return - then enjoy the cruise:)

This isn't a response to your post...because I can't answer that but I had to respond with:

HTTR!

Was pleased to read about Portis' performance at camp in the Post this a.m.

Thanks Everyone,

I am going to arrive in MIA on the 18th and I plan on getting the insurance this month. One more question, Say I book an excursion and we do not make it to the island because of the weather. Will they refund my money? I am booked on the zip line in Labadee (really that was the main reason I booked this cruise) and I am booked on the ATV excursion in St. Marteen (this was my boyfriends pick LOL) I want my money back if we can not do those things (they cost alot of money) Will they just give me an On board Credit or something? Thanks for all the help you all are giving me.

Hi...you will get an on OBC. That is what happened with us. We decided to cancel an excursion that we booked through the cruiseline because the cost of it doubled. There was no problem with me cancelling and we were instantly credited that same day.

I'm from Charleston, SC and used to hurricane seasons...We cruised last year September 14-17 and missed a hurricane coming through the Bahamas by a week or so. It was supposed to be "bad" last year too. We've booked the same cruise this year for September 13th and hoping it will be okay! You should be alright!

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Florida and we have always taken cruises in September (its the cheapest time to go) RCL is really good about charting courses around storms.. we wnt in 2007 and there was 2 storms in the Atlantic on a small ship it rocked a little but all in all it was a good cruise... don't worry about the Captin and RCL will not put the passangers in any harm take an extra sea sick pill and you will be fine...

Dont sweat it and enjoy your cruise! They have been saying its going to be "really bad" for the last 3 or 4 years

I have lived in FL for close to 10 years and the only year I can remember them not trying to scare everyone about hurricane season was 2004. 2004 was the year FL got hit by 3 large hurricanes in just over a month. I wouldn't worry about a hurricane causing a problem.

We're on the Liberty 2 cruises before you. If we end up going to different countries, who cares? It's still a great vacation. It really doesn't matter to us which ports we go to....even if we have to miss a port, that's fine. We know what we're getting into, and we recognize it's the price for getting such a low fare.

Hurricane Alex --currently moving westerly through the Gulf is our first June hurricane in 15 years! (We certainly have had depressions and storms but not Hurricanes in June.) I hope it is a fluke--but it looks like the experts may be correct--an active season :( Now, will one affect my trip, your trip, my home, your home? Who knows and if I spend my time worrying about that I will have a breakdown! Have a plan and a back-up plan and live your life!

Hurricane Alex --currently moving westerly through the Gulf is our first June hurricane in 15 years! (We certainly have had depressions and storms but not Hurricanes in June.) I hope it is a fluke--but it looks like the experts may be correct--an active season :( Now, will one affect my trip, your trip, my home, your home? Who knows and if I spend my time worrying about that I will have a breakdown! Have a plan and a back-up plan and live your life!

I see you are on my cruise.(If you are going this year) Come join our roll call! See you onboard!

We cruise most often during hurricane season. My motto is the cruise line could care less about my butt but they are going to take care of thier multi million dollar ship. Our ports have changed but even that doesn't bother me I am on a ship away from work and a hectic life.

We will be sailing with you! We will have a hurricane party if need be!

We drive to the port but we still go over the day before I want to be within walking distance of the ship just in case! I could never handle flying in the day of. Hell to be honest my DH couldn't handle flying in the day of I would be driving him nuts!

See you on the ship.

Archived