First timer question - tips

gamesstate

Our travel agent recommended that when we booked the cruise we include all tips in the price and pay them in advance. Are there any other tips that are not included in these?

The only other tips would be those on any alcoholic beverages you might purchase - they add 15% onto the price of the drink.

Yes, the pre-paid tips include your room steward and table servers.

But every time you order an alcoholic drink or even a soft drink, there will be an automatic tip added to the bill, currently the rate is 15%.

Also, if you order room service, you'll want to tip the person who delivers it.

At the pier, you will probably tip the porter who takes your bag. This can vary by port, but most people tip a dollar or two a bag.

I can't think of any others that aren't included, but others may add to this list.

Usually people tip room service deliveries - about $2 for a small order, $3 to $5 for a full meal is about average. Also, most people tip shore excursion guides - the amount varies quite a bit and is really a personal decision. Otherwise there is no need to tip others, but many people do give an extra tip to staff that makes their experience extra special. Also, if you eat in a specialty restaurant, while a portion of the cover charge goes to the servers as a gratuity, many people choose to leave an extra tip ($5 to $10 seems to be typical), but this is certainly not mandatory. If you do a spa treatment, check your bill to see if they automatically included a gratuity (sometimes they do); if not a 15% to 20% tip is the norm.

If you pre-pay your tips, you're covered. As stated, any drink purchase will have the tip added to it.

Room service is the only thing that is NOT included in the pre-paid tips....and if you don't use it, you won't have to worry about that, either!

Considering what your waiter gets for a whole day of serving people food ($3.65), and what your room steward gets for being sure your cabin is clean twice a day ($3.50), we find a dollar or two more in line for someone dropping off a tray for room service. Of course if they set up a table on your balcony, provided a table cloth, and served in courses, etc. that would be different .

This is my opinion and what we do, just sharing our thoughts, not telling anyone what to do.

Sometimes when I ask for something special I find a dollar tip works wonders. When I wanted lactose free milk for breakfast where the waiter had to go to the kitchen for the MDR to get it, after I tipped him a dollar he always found the coldest milk for me. I never had to wait for my milk. On previous days when I didn't tip the milk wasn't ice cold and I had to wait. It was worth the tip! Somehow you know when it is appropriate to give a waiter an extra dollar or two. He always looked for me in the mornings. Before that I had to find a waiter.

Archived