Steiners - the guys who run the salons

slotl

On almost every ship from every line, the salon/spa is run by Steiners (an outfit out of England).

I find that the beauticians, nail techs, massage, and facial "girls" are all very young, just out of school, and have limited experience in their "speciality".

On top of their inexperience, the charges for services are outrageous and tips are expected. Also, during each service there is an aggressive sales pitch to sell very expensive product.

Does anyone else feel the same way I do about the quality of services from Steiners?

I love Steiner and Elemis products and if we're not on a ship that sells them I order from the website. Yes, they are aggressive, but that's not only Steiner girls. I think it goes with the territory.

Yes, the staff on ships tend to be young. The nature of the work, plus expecting travel and excitement tends to attract a younger person and they are the ones who have better ability to leave home. It's also a cultural thing for young people to leave home and "go abroad" as one cruise line employee told me a while back.

Skill is an individual thing. The same two people can take the same class and do things differently. I'm sure they are trained in standard things like updos, I can always pick out the ones done in the salon onboard. But one will stay up all night and look great, the other may fall apart after only a couple of hours.

I do think the prices are high in comparison to most land salons, but they have a captive audience. I know they are expected to sell a certain percentage of product, don't blame them as I'm sure they get into trouble if they don't make the attempt. I always pay a gratuity in a land salon, so I would automatically pay one onboard a ship as well.

I think the Elemis products are high quality at a high price. I've only purchased them once and I did enjoy them, but my budget doesn't allow for that much extravagance. I have seen the stuff for sale at Nordstrom in the past (same high price). My sis uses some of their product because she loves it. She doesn't have a teen at home who thinks nothing of globbing on cream or lotion like I do ;)

I'll finish by saying that while I think their prices are high, the quality not always quite as good as a high end land salon, that it is great to pamper oneself at times. I don't think anyone should ever feel guilty about the pleasure they get for salon visits onboard cruise ships.

I don't know what the cost for services is on other ships, but I cruise one of the "luxury lines" and the prices there are insane. $200 for a hour long aroma therapy massage, etc. As a result, I tend not to take advantage of the services and when I do, I feel a little guilty!:eek:

Even land-based spas are aggressive with the selling of their products....after all, that's where the profit is....not in the service, but in the product! Doesn't matter who runs it, they will push, push, push the product on you! Just say, "No, thanks"!

Yes...ships charge more for the same service than a land-based spa....just like they do with wine!

I've never felt the need to indulge in the spa on vacation....I'm pretty relaxed as it is!

Even land-based spas are aggressive with the selling of their products....after all, that's where the profit is....not in the service, but in the product! Doesn't matter who runs it, they will push, push, push the product on you! Just say, "No, thanks"!

Yes...ships charge more for the same service than a land-based spa....just like they do with wine!

I've never felt the need to indulge in the spa on vacation....I'm pretty relaxed as it is!

I owned a salon for 16 years and while we did earn some profit in product sales, I can assure you that is not where the real money is. The profit pretty much just paid for the back bar supplies. The profit in a salon is from service.

I've had facials and massages on ships. It's part of my enjoyment. We all spend our money differently and there's no right or wrong, so I don't think anyone should feel guilty on spending their money on something that makes them happy. To me, spending $100. on bingo is a waste, $150 on a facial isn't. Vive la difference!

That said, I agree with Happy K's, some people are great some aren't and it doesn't always matter how long they've been doing it, as long as they were properly trained.

When it's time for my treatment, in a very friendly way I tell the person that I'm here for the experience, and not a sales pitch. I've never had a problem with that, and I then don't get a sales pitch.

Archived