Review and Pictures from NCL Pearl May 23rd to 30th

just wondering about your rental car from dollar. did you pick up at the airport and return to a different location. i see a location on boren avenue. is this the correct location. thanks for your help.

Yes, that is exactly what we did. At the airport we stopped at the counter while waiting for our bags to come off and they did our paperwork, caught the shuttle to their lot which was very convenient to the freeway and we were off.

We dropped off at the Boren location (had to hunt a bit for a gas station to fill up as there weren't any right by it). That's where we caught their shuttle van which takes you to either Pier 66 or 91.

There was a small drop off fee.

Thanks for posting your review and pictures! We were on the Pearl a short while ago, and enjoyed the 4 Seasons show, and also appreciated Andy as the Cruise Director.

We had such a good time that we are hoping to do an Alaska cruise on the Pearl in 2012, and your pictures and review have reinforced that decision.

Thanks again for posting.

Thanks for posting your review and pictures! We were on the Pearl a short while ago, and enjoyed the 4 Seasons show, and also appreciated Andy as the Cruise Director.

We had such a good time that we are hoping to do an Alaska cruise on the Pearl in 2012, and your pictures and review have reinforced that decision.

Thanks again for posting.

I was suprised that doing it for a second time that it was so much different than the first. But the time of year (all of the snow was amazing), choosing different excursions, cruising without our teens, etc all went to making it seem like almost a different cruise completely.

• 3 months later...

I know this is totally late, but I found your post through the search engine. That was a great trip report and I enjoyed your photos/video. Just wanted to drop a line saying "thanks" for taking the time to do this...

I know this is totally late, but I found your post through the search engine. That was a great trip report and I enjoyed your photos/video. Just wanted to drop a line saying "thanks" for taking the time to do this...
Never too late. Thanks for the feedback. I really do these for others, not myself so its good they get used.

• 2 months later...

I am going to be on the Pear in May of this year so this was great to see. Did you book you own excursion to see the whales? I have been to Alaska before, in 1997, so I want to do something different but I don't like booking through the cruiseline.

Thanks for a great review.

I am going to be on the Pearl in May of this year so this was great to see. Did you book you own excursion to see the whales? I have been to Alaska before, in 1997, so I want to do something different but I don't like booking through the cruiseline.

Thanks for a great review.

For the whale trip, we booked directly with "Captain Larry" at Orca Enterprises (http://www.orcaenterprises.com/). Be sure to ask for Captain Larry when you book, they do periodically run more than one boat and he is the 'best'. It is the middle of winter right now so don't be suprised if it takes a bit to reach them.

When we went in 2007, we booked most of our excursions through the ship, with the exception of Chilkoot in Skagway. In 2010, we booked independent except the lumberjack show. There are a wide variety of independent tour guides in the ports. We found that the ship excursions were priced about the same (compared to carribean where independent might be half of the ship price). But they are larger groups and more fixed in what they do whereas the independents have smaller groups and go out of their way to make sure you have an enjoyable time.

We had a good time on both the ship and the independent tours.

One more question. When you drove to Yukon, were you worried at all about making it back it time or it wasn't even an issue. Where did you get the driving directions from?

Thanks

We were not worried at all, Skagway is a long day in port for the Pearl. Since it is such a short distance from Juneau, the ship was in early and people were already getting off before 7am. Departure is not until after 8pm. The drive took us just over 7 hours and we were never in a hurry so 5 hours on either side to spare.

Here's our time line, we took our time getting off the ship (we picked up the rental car but parked it by the dock) to let the crowds get in front of us. We drove at a comfortable pace and stopped a lot for pictures. We did lunch, the museum and dog slde ride at Carribou Crossing. On the way back we made fewer stops but we did stop and walk through the Gold Rush cemetary and the short hike up to Reid falls. But with all that, we were back by late afternoon, did some shopping and were back on the ship well before last call.

As for directions, I highly recommend Murray's guide, for this trip, it is the perfect companion. With only one main road, there isn't a lot of chance of getting lost and his commentary is great to follow (although at some points, the mile (km) markers he reference are a bit hard to find. We found goats at places he said to look for goats, and bears at places he said to look for bears and found the stops he called out excellent for picture opportunities. I can't post the link but just Google Murray's Guide and it will come up. It was $5 to download.

Thanks for your help. I found the guide and will download it. I also reserved a car from Avis. There are only 4 of us so we figured the car would be fine. Besides, I'm going to be in the front or driving!

I only have 4 weeks till my Southern Carib cruise and then I will concentrate on the Alaska one! I think we are going to book the whale watching that you did too. thanks for all of your input!

Last time I was in Alaska I did the seaplane in Ketchikan and Mendenhall in Juneau. I wanted different things this time. We didn't go to Skagway last time. I'm really looking forward to this cruise, I just hope we didn't make a mistake by not getting a balcony. I always do when I cruise to warm places.

I just hope we didn't make a mistake by not getting a balcony. I always do when I cruise to warm places.

A lot of debate about balcony or not. We had good weather on both of our Alaska cruises and we got a lot of use out of it. One bit of advice is to watch for rate changes or specials. We were able to upgrade from an OV to a balcony as a result of price breaks. Whether you have a balcony or not, you'll still have a great time as there is so much to see and do.

• 2 months later...

Wonderful, wonderful review--we are on the Pearl in July.

We read about people bringing in soda, we are flying into Seattle early the morning of the cruise, after the shuttle drops us off at the pier is there someplace we can get soda either at the airport or pier?

Also we are hoping to do the White Pass train ride,I are afriad of heights if I can't see land close to me--will this be a problem?

Wonderful, wonderful review--we are on the Pearl in July.

We read about people bringing in soda, we are flying into Seattle early the morning of the cruise, after the shuttle drops us off at the pier is there someplace we can get soda either at the airport or pier?

Also we are hoping to do the White Pass train ride,I are afriad of heights if I can't see land close to me--will this be a problem?

There is a little place right there near the pier, Bell Street Deli and Grocery...Very small!! I know they had soda, but don't know if they had 12 pks. You can call them and see!! It's on Alaskan Way....I don't know why they call it Bell Street??

As far as the White Pass train ride....I'm afraid of heights to a certain degree....I never felt scared, just don't sit by the window, so you can't look down....Although I did sit by the window and loved it!! My husband and I even went to the outside "balcony" on the back of each train car.

I agree, not a lot right by the pier area itself to buy in quantity.

As for the heights, for most of the ride you really won't notice it at all.

There is a high old train bridge that you get the impresssion that you are going over but you don't.

When you do cross over that valley and go up the other side, it is a bit narrow and you can see down so perhaps here you want to be looking across the valley, which is in fact pretty spectacular.

Photos below from Alaska photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roseoftexas/collections/72157601829385443/

Taken in August 2007, shows the old bridge

1325508478_3e6b8e3f94.jpg

Taken in May 2011, train climbing the pass across the valley

4664109074_4df32b03f0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank yo so much for your advice---I love his site. I was also reading about the Spa on the ship and would like to surprise my husband for our 40th Anniversary with a one week membership for two. Will I be able to get that before we get on the ship, as i know there is limited spaces and I don't want him to know about it. My understanding is that it is around 100.00 each. Any advice on this? Thanks again

Thank yo so much for your advice---I love his site. I was also reading about the Spa on the ship and would like to surprise my husband for our 40th Anniversary with a one week membership for two. Will I be able to get that before we get on the ship, as i know there is limited spaces and I don't want him to know about it. My understanding is that it is around 100.00 each. Any advice on this? Thanks again

Both times we went, they were selling them when we got on the ship. They are limited, but I recall them selling them for multiple days both times. When you get on board, go to pool area and you should have no trouble getting them. They vary a bit in price depending on the demand they expect but will be right around $100 each.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review. It was full of info that will come in handy and the pictures are awesome! I had a couple of questions. Can you wear cropped pants to the dining room and specialty restaurants? Also, is there a limit to how much soda you bring on board? Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the great review. It was full of info that will come in handy and the pictures are awesome! I had a couple of questions. Can you wear cropped pants to the dining room and specialty restaurants? Also, is there a limit to how much soda you bring on board? Thanks for your help!

As for cropped pants, I don't think this would a problem. Capris are pretty common although the ship can be a bit cold for either. Not that I wear cropped pants....

As for soda, that seems to vary from year to year. Carnival started limiting to 2 cases and can't say what the Pearl is doing now. Soda is very heavy and I think this is more the limiting factor. You used to be able to slap a luggage tag on it but now they want it protected (unless you carry it on). Since the bar is one of the main money makers, they seem to want to discourage you as much as they can. I'd check on the main Pearl board for recent experiences since a lot can change in a year.

I have been compiling time lapse videos since last season and couldn't help but add this year's comparable 2011 Pearl cruise to the post. While the weather wasn't bad, it wasn't as spectacular as it was last year when we were there. Although the amount of ice in Glacier Bay was noticable more.

Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic review. I agree, the buffet and MD got old by the end of the first day and was also very average. But I can't much fault them for that considering storage and preparation for that many meals every day.

Loved your pictures as well. Thanks for commenting on my review.

Archived