Fodors or Frommers guide book

VAtravelers100

We will be on a 7 day HAL cruise in July (Vancouver, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Vancouver). I already have The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile by Mile Guide (by Joe Upton). It looks good and has a great large map. I would like one other guidebook that has more traditional details about each port.

We have our main port activities planned already, but would use the book for tips about public transportation or info about smaller activities to supplement our shore excursions.

Given my info, does anyone particularly recommend Fodors vs. Frommers? They both have 2010 editions.

Thanks!

I much prefer Frommers. Written by a local named Charles Wolforth who has plenty experience in Alaska. Doesn't mind stating his opinions either.

Absolutely agree. Checked them both out in the bookstore & came home with Frommer's which is well used after two months. Enjoy!

We will be on a 7 day HAL cruise in July (Vancouver, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Vancouver). I already have The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile by Mile Guide (by Joe Upton). It looks good and has a great large map. I would like one other guidebook that has more traditional details about each port.

We have our main port activities planned already, but would use the book for tips about public transportation or info about smaller activities to supplement our shore excursions.

Given my info, does anyone particularly recommend Fodors vs. Frommers? They both have 2010 editions.

Thanks!

You may want to check out your' Library. You could bring them both home and do research . You could then decide if / which you may wish to purchase.

Thanks for the replies! I think Frommers sounds great. There are two versions - one is written by Charles Wohlforth, and the other one focuses on cruises and ports of call and is written by Golden and Sloan.

Chenega specifically mentioned Wohlforth. I wonder if the one all of you like so much is the Wohlforth one, which is the full book on Alaska (not just focusing on ports).

I would have bought the smaller cruise-focused book, but if the other one is the one that's so great, let me know! Thanks!

We bought two books for our Alaska cruise - "Alaska by Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond, and Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2010. Have read both books, and really like the amount of information that they have on all of the ports we will be going to.

I read all 4 books: Fodor's and Frommer's "Alaska" and "Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call". They were all available at my local library. If I had to choose one, it would definitely be Frommer's "Alaska". The cruise books are very brief and don't have much detail. It really focuses on what's walking distance from the cruise pier and ship excursions, while the "Alaska" books are much more detailed. I personally like having as much info as posssible.

Thanks for the replies! I think Frommers sounds great. There are two versions - one is written by Charles Wohlforth, and the other one focuses on cruises and ports of call and is written by Golden and Sloan.

Chenega specifically mentioned Wohlforth. I wonder if the one all of you like so much is the Wohlforth one, which is the full book on Alaska (not just focusing on ports).

I would have bought the smaller cruise-focused book, but if the other one is the one that's so great, let me know! Thanks!

I like the one by Charles Wohlforth, and I bought the 2005 and 2007 editions. Now that there are new maps and photos, I'll buy the 2011 edition when it comes out in 2011.

What I like most about Wolforth is that he's traveled all over the state in doing the research for his books. He's also written several outstanding books on Alaska including the excellent "The Whale and the Supercompter". He also served as a member of the Anchorage assembly so really knows and loves this state.

He's also very candid and open with his opinions. Just read his chapter in the newest book on the changes in Alaska politics to see that you know where he stands.

We bought two books for our Alaska cruise - "Alaska by Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond, and Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2010. Have read both books, and really like the amount of information that they have on all of the ports we will be going to.

I am with Chef Susan. I prefer Anne Vipond's Alaska by Cruise Ship: The Complete Guide to Cruising Alaska with Giant Pull-out Map. Everyone I lend it to ends up buying their own. it is a great book for cruisers. Much more useful information than the two you asked about.

I am with Chef Susan. I prefer Anne Vipond's Alaska by Cruise Ship: The Complete Guide to Cruising Alaska with Giant Pull-out Map. Everyone I lend it to ends up buying their own. it is a great book for cruisers. Much more useful information than the two you asked about.

I have that book, too, and it's a great resource for cruisers with all the maps and photographs. I have loaned that book to my cruise companions several times, and I'll be rereading it for my cruise in 2011.

For anyone doing a land trip in addition to a cruise, Frommer's Alaska is much more detailed. I'm not sure I care to read about Charles Wohlforth's political views in his latest edition, but I can skip over that! No one guide book has everything, and that's why I have a number of books about Alaska.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Charles Wohlforth. I buy a travel guide to learn about the place I intend to visit, not to hear somebody's political views. It really turned me off to the whole book. I bought Frommer's and returned it to the store I bought it from. I bought Fodor's and like it much better. He briefly touches on the political scene in AK without making snarky comments and it's full of gret info about AK. I didn't want to give Wohlford my money. I know it's suppose to be more about the travel info but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Archived