RCI to announce major entertainment alliance

You KNOW it will be fleet wide within 18 months though

In 18 months it could all be gone again.

Personally I dont see it going fleetwide...it wouldnt suit some of the other ships...Freedom Class & Oasis Class yes and maybe Voyager class but certainly not the other classes.

We've cruised Disney Wonder and Disney Magic many times, and love the Royal Caribbean cruises out of all of the Florida ports. Disney sails with packed ships and many repeat customers, and while the characters are present, they certainly aren't intrusive, they don't get in the way, knock you over or hog the pool chairs. And, you don't have to tip them! (Unless of course, they go "above and beyond," porter my luggage, or deliver room service between midnight and 5am. Nobody gets a crowd going at "Sailaway" like Disney cruise staff and characters, since it's really hard to be a sourpuss while watching kids, parents, grandparents, honeymooners, and many many others travelling without kids dance with Minnie, Mickey, and Goofy. I think you'll be amazed at how this can add to your cruise experience. You don't have to avoid a cruise line because of characters, at least not the ones hired to entertain you. :D I think that Royal Caribbean needs to stop making announcements about upcoming announcements. It's almost impossible for the actual announcement to live up to the pre-announcement speculation.

I just heard Lord Farquaad was relocating all the fairy tale characters to the concierge lounge.

By the way, the new Shrek movie is playing in the theater. The elderly couple we cruise (well into their 70s) with still has to watch Shrek 3. We have the dvd from Netflix sitting on the table for when we return from the cruise. We will watch the dvd of Shrek 3 together, then see the one playing in the theater.

It isn't just little children that watch these types of movies.

Personally I dont see it going fleetwide...it wouldnt suit some of the other ships...Freedom Class & Oasis Class yes and maybe Voyager class but certainly not the other classes.

Yup, we already like Radiance class because of less kid attractors, things like Johnny Rockets and Wave Riders. Really wish that if they can add "features" like the Shrek deal to the mega ships they could notch up the adult features on the rest of the line. Sort of a dual personality within the fleet. On the other hand, we could just go back to HAL I suppose.

I just heard Lord Farquaad was relocating all the fairy tale characters to the concierge lounge.

By the way, the new Shrek movie is playing in the theater. The elderly couple we cruise (well into their 70s) with still has to watch Shrek 3. We have the dvd from Netflix sitting on the table for when we return from the cruise. We will watch the dvd of Shrek 3 together, then see the one playing in the theater.

It isn't just little children that watch these types of movies.

I just heard Lord Farquaad was going to be assigned as head of clothes Police.

Those are big ships, and I'm sure the characters, etc., can be avoided. I for one love Shrek and Donkey (I'm convinced Donkey was modeled after one of my Scottish Terriers), and I'll maybe get my pictures taken with them once (for the grandkids), but won't go out of my way for them.

Well, my Allure cruise just got more interesting!

This latest announcement won't cause me to cruise exclusively with RCI in the future but I am sure that our grandkids will be excited to have the Shrek and Company characters on our Liberty cruise this coming November.:) RCI is very clearly focussing their efforts on attracting young families and encouraging its older and veteran cruisers to transfer their loyalties to Celebrity or Azamara. Our two experiences with Celebrity were a mixed bag as were our sailings with Princess so I guess we will base our future cruise decisions primarily on itineraries and price and not on the specific line. Overall we still enjoy the cruise experience that RCI offers us and I agree with Liz that I don't see them expanding this program fleetwide, but rather restricting it to their largest ships which have the facilities to host many of the described activities.:)

Interesting...RCI signs with a dying "brand".

Disney = Mickey. Not going anywhere anytime soon.

NCL = Spongebob. Still very popular and not going anywhere.

RCI = Shrek. Last movie was just released??!?!?! It's the end of Shrek.

Why would RCI hitch itself to Shrek when they just made the last movie and there won't be anymore in the future? I don't quite understand this.

Perhaps they could have picked something that would appeal to a broader range of kids. Something like Star Wars perhaps...

Just disappointed it wasn't something more geared toward adults. As long as it's mainly in the kid related activites that's fine with me. I will probably sail Disney one day when we have kids so I can see how families would like this as I know the kids certainly will.

One advantage to adding this type of feature rather than more hardware is that if it doesn't achieve its goal of increasing business, it is much easier, depending on contractual obligations, to remove the characters and discontinue the program.:)

I'll be fine with it and I might even enjoy some of the things going on (sometimes). But I was just hoping the announcement would have been in a different direction.

It won't make me book RCI less. At least not for now.

I don't disagree. As the paying adult, I really do appreciate the extras that cater to adults only, especially since I'm a stay-at-home mom and enjoy a child-free experience every once in a while. ;) Having said that, the next time we cruise with our kids, this will be a great option to have for them. :)

Well, my Allure cruise just got more interesting!

Joan - you hit the nail on the head! :D I can't wait to read the reviews/experiences of the first Allure cruisers. :D

Interesting...RCI signs with a dying "brand".

Disney = Mickey. Not going anywhere anytime soon.

NCL = Spongebob. Still very popular and not going anywhere.

RCI = Shrek. Last movie was just released??!?!?! It's the end of Shrek.

Why would RCI hitch itself to Shrek when they just made the last movie and there won't be anymore in the future? I don't quite understand this.

Perhaps they could have picked something that would appeal to a broader range of kids. Something like Star Wars perhaps...

They've hooked up with Dreamworks actually not just Shrek.

Apparently new ship is going into production next year

"RCI Donkey of the Seas"

Ha! I personally find this amusing because my wife and I ultimately chose the Allure over a Disney cruise in part because we were concerned that our then almost two-year-old son would be afraid of the characters that roam about the ship. So much for that! :-)

On a different note, I don't think that anyone should be worried that the addition of Dreamworks characters and Dreamworks themed events will take over the ship and/or somehow limit adult activities. We have been on two Disney cruises, and despite the decidedly family oriented events and entertainment onboard, there were still plenty of adults only things to do there. The Allure should be no different. From what I can tell, this is an enhancement, not a replacement.

Oh, and one more thing, if RCCL is smart they will copy Disney's policy of placing the characters at designated areas on the ship, at designated time periods, for pictures and autographs. Just as important, RCCL will hopefully follow the Disney policy of allowing their ship photographers to take said pictures with your own camera in addition to the photographer's camera.

I dont mind the characters, but what this implies is that RCI is trying to compete with Disney CL to attract more families w/children. In this case, I think I might start looking for cruises on Princess and HAL. I'd rather be on a ship with less rather than more children. :D I also would not appreciate having to watch kiddy shows on cruises. Humm.. something to really take seriously. I'm glad we're experiencing OAS this Nov before they bring more characters on board. :cool:

Great, now the kids will be wanting all of the Dreamworks character stuff I am sure they will have a shop to sell and there will be plenty of cute pictures taken that parents will want to buy and lets not forget that I would not be surprised if some of these "special events" cost extra...

Great, now the kids will be wanting all of the Dreamworks character stuff I am sure they will have a shop to sell and there will be plenty of cute pictures taken that parents will want to buy and lets not forget that I would not be surprised if some of these "special events" cost extra...

of course its a money maker... sure lots of people cruise, and have cruised for many years.. but the first time cruise is the one that drops TONS of cash on EVERYTHING.. Parents included.. and if RCCL can get the kids on board, the wallets will follow.. ;)

LMAO at the ones leaving RCI over something like this. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we are going to see characters running around all day. I've got a news flash for you folks. RCI has been catering to families for over ten years since the introduction of the Voyager class. If you're just now figuring this out then you haven't been paying attention.

This addition will not affect me one way or the other. Just more for the disgruntled to complain about.:rolleyes:

Has anyone checked the RCI website today? Shrek actually comes from the right side of the screen on a Crown and Anchor!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/mycruises/performLogoff.do;jsessionid=0000IMp2jPuVg-PacZX_qYCmO7q:12hdhu6tq?cS=MHDR

Thanks for this, Shrek nor the associated information hasn't made it to the RCI UK site yet!

Archived