Vietnam private tours

cigloo

We toured Hanoi with a guide provided by Mrs. Ha at http://www.discovervietnam.com.vn

Make sure to do a cyclo tour. Outstanding. Read our complete review of our SE Asia cruise at http://www.jkbellomo.com or our best friends review of the same cruise at http://www.thepreismans.com

Lots of great pics and recommendations for all SE Asian ports.

Jim

We toured Hanoi with a guide provided by Mrs. Ha at www.discovervietnam.com.vn

Make sure to do a cyclo tour. Outstanding. Read our complete review of our SE Asia cruise at www.jkbellomo.com or our best friends review of the same cruise at www.thepreismans.com

Lots of great pics and recommendations for all SE Asian ports.

Jim

Thanks for all the info --- great review and photos. We are sailing on the Azamara Quest next March from Hong Kong to Singapore (the reverse of yours). Do you need to get a Visa for Vietnam, Bangkok or any of these ports. We plan on doing a few private tours too.

Thanks again for the helpful information.

Dr Koob...... great info.... however... any shopping recommendations ?

Shopping recommendations? From a guy? I will ask my bride but I can tell you that on the cruise itself we really didn't do a lot of shopping. We have a tradition where we try and buy a small piece of art from every country we visit. This time (in the case of Vietnam) we bought a big piece of art (painting that we had shipped back) in Hoi Ann. Hoi Ann was where most of the folks on our cruise did their shopping. That and Hong Kong at the other end of the cruise. There we did Nathan Road (luggage at true bargain prices), the Jade market (nice costume level jade) and a few other places. But really I will have to ask Kathleen if she can tell you any of the actual places we (she) bought clothes or jewelry in. She posts as BellKat so watch this thread if she can remember any of it.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I would go on the Delta mekong tour, because we really enjoyed it.

Another day we took a trip round the town, but I wouldnt do it again, because we spend a long time in the Reunification Hall and you can do all this on your own.

I am looking forward to go back, but not on a organized trip.

• 2 weeks later...
We are going to be in Ho Chi Minh City for 2 days while on a cruise with Oceania - any recomendations for touring?

I have been e-mailing Tri Dung Nguyen, "Zoom" dungzoom@gmail.com who is arranging our tour of Saigon and has offered us many other interesting tours.

There are only 6 of us, but he can evidently take any number and comes highly recommended with many years experience.

He actually showed Chelsea Clinton round when she visited!

He seems a really nice man and I cannot believe how much trouble he has taken to make sure our tour is exactly as we want it to be.

I first got his name off the Cruise Critic board so other cruisers have enjoyed his tours as well.

I personally cannot wait to meet him as he seems quite delightful.

We have also scheduled a tour with ZOOM for when we are in Saigon. We will be on the Diamond Princess sailing from Singapore on April 20, 2011.

I have heard and read good things about him, so 11 of us feel comfortable and confident with his tours.

Helen:)

+1 for Zoom .... My wife and I were just there with him. He picked us up at the ships berth. He has a unique and interesting perspective on the the present day Vietnam. He was very nice and a big help on arranging things out of the ordinary. Don't miss the show at the restaurant on the first floor at the Rex Hotel....and the iced coffee on the roof top bar is to die for. His knowledge of the shop owners is a big help as well. If you want to know more email me at saw1212@hotmail.com

Mekong River is very cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Have not received any posts from fellow cc people; however, I have received several offers from tour companies in Vietnam....Zoom. our great guide in Saigon has been negotiating on our behalf for a good tour....the others want a large deposit on not only the tour but the port charges as well....frankly, I am very uncomfortable doing this as some cruisers might wait until the last minute and cancel, but yet, we have made a deposit for their port charges. Arranging for tours in Asia is completely different from Europe and/or So. America/Australia/New Zealand.

Helen

Hi......it is quite common for tour operators to require a deposit for their tours prior to taking one. It is good business sense and it doesn't leave them in the lurch if no one shows up for their tours....Asia is quite different from most tours I have set up for my fellow cruise passengers in that they charge a port charge per person which most reputable tour companies will include in their prices......Zoom has worked very well with me to set up two tours and I feel very comfortable and confident in his services......if you choose to go with him, he will give you all the details and when to make the deposit...with my group, it is 3 weeks prior to our tour with him. If I can answer any more questions please feel free to email me at: foxyh3137@aol.com.

Helen

• 5 weeks later...

We are on Ocean Princess next April and will be in Da Nang for the day. Both Hue (for the citadel and Perfume River, etc) and Hoi An for the quaint old town and shopping sound great - BUT we cannot do them both in one day. Given this dilemma which do people recommend we choose?

I think most people that stop in Danang have a similar quandry. I really wanted to go to Hue; but finally decided to go to Hoi An. We are glad we did, since it is a wonderful town and one of the few that was not damaged by the war, so it is very authentic. The main deciding point was to avoid the long drive to Hue. Researching Hue before the cruise, the ruins weren't in as good a shape as I hoped, so we decided to visit the ruins at My Son. They were pretty nice and allowed us to see some ruins and experience the beautiful town of Hoi An. You can see photos of these places in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In April this year,we did a tour out of Danang with a group called Danang Kids. They are university students who want to show their country to visitors and get the chance to practice their English skills. The only costs are their fuel costs and lunch. They take you around on motorbikes. We felt safe the entire time and we are in our mid 60's and early 70's. To contact them see http://danangkids.org There is also a similar group in Siagon.

Is it difficult to leave cruise for a few days to tour Vietnam and then re-join cruise in another port?

Not precisely on point but ...

We jumped ship when the Quest landed at Sihaoukville (sp?) and drove up to Phom Penh where we caught a plane to Siem Reap and overnight there while visiting Angkor. We caught a plane out of there and rejoined the ship in Bangkok.

You would have to write a letter to your cruise company requesting an OK to leave the ship and make sure that you get your passport before you leave the ship. You may have to get a visa if you leave the ship.

• 3 months later...

Archived