Disney to Alaska Cruises in 2011 ?

JEH

While on our Alaska cruise, a tablemate remarked that Disney will be hosting Alaska cruises next year, does anyone have info on this ? Not that I would ever consider taking one, just curious.

Why would you never consider taking one? Disney is still our favorite cruise line!!! :D (And no, we don't have kids.)

I'd never consider one - booking onto a boat full of kids at my age would just be Goofy :D

Actually Disney has adult areas of the ship with no kids at all. My family is pushing hard for this cruise to be a family gathering. They know I'll agree to anything to spend time in Alaska.

Just get me those Mouse ears!

Actually Disney has adult areas of the ship with no kids at all.

I don't want an adult area, I want an adult ship! There were about 6 kids on the Infinity 2 weeks ago - that was just about perfect.

They will also be offering Pacific Coastals and Panama Canal repo cruises, and will be doing the Mexican Riviera. Very happy to have them back on the West Coast!

The Disney Wonder is doing just one Panama Canal repo cruise on Jan. 6, 2011. The ship will stay on the west coast for awhile rather than return to Florida.

I don't want an adult area, I want an adult ship! There were about 6 kids on the Infinity 2 weeks ago - that was just about perfect.

I love Disney theme parks, and I have been on a couple of Disney cruises. But I agree with you about preferring an adult ship!

Wife and I did a Disney cruise to the Bahamas last fall and loved it. I'm a great Disney fan but wife doesn't share my enthusiasm. Nevertheless, we really enjoyed the trip and the big attraction is the ship itself. Next time we'll skip Nassau and stay on the ship since there's so much to do and it is very professionally run.

Having said that, I think their Alaska itinerary is weak with a focus on SE Alaska only. The only glacier viewing (possibly) is Sawyer in Tracy Arm and that is so weather-dependent. Last year Disney withdrew their application to sail into Glacier Bay so they apparently settled for Tracy Arm. The same route is covered by other cruiselines which much lower prices.

Still, it's the Disney name that sells just as much as Alaska as a destination and the Disney marketing machine is already in high gear. A friend of mine who works for Disney Cruises in Orlando said that many of those who are booking Alaska are Disney Vacation Club members who use points as well to book a cruise.

I do wonder if Disney is going to be a permanent fixture up here so only time will tell.

Wife and I did a Disney cruise to the Bahamas last fall and loved it. I'm a great Disney fan but wife doesn't share my enthusiasm. Nevertheless, we really enjoyed the trip and the big attraction is the ship itself. Next time we'll skip Nassau and stay on the ship since there's so much to do and it is very professionally run.

There were plenty of things to do on the sea day, but I found DCL's scheduled activities for adults to be lacking while the ship was in Nassau and Castaway Cay. Unless you want to lounge by the pool all afternoon or take advantage of the spa - there's not much going on until dinner time. Thank goodness I wanted to see the 1:00 movie those afternoons!

I agree that DCL's Alaska itinerary isn't one of the better ones, but the cruise is a good fit for families with young kids.

Is Disney cruiseline here to stay, or just for 2011?

It'll obviously depend on how sales are - same with Oceania, who's also coming next year (and has great intineraries, unlike Disney).

Crystal is coming to Alaska in 2011 as well with a lot of sea time and not much port time. SouthEast Alaska only.

Crystal rings the bell for the highest prices for cruising to Alaska.

If we do Disney it will be a kid-pleaser and a family outing. We understand that.

Is Disney cruiseline here to stay, or just for 2011?

We won't likely know until Disney tests the water so to speak. If I recall correctly, they do not have to make their intentions for 2012 known to the Port Of Vancouver until March 2011 but that would likely be an oustside date...so stay tuned.

Archived