Visiting Denali

denamo

We will be cruising from Vancouver to Seward. We are wanting to visit Denali National Park. Any suggestions about renting a car versus taking the railroad? Also it looks like it would be best to fly out of Fairbanks rather than coming back to Anchorage. Is that correct.

Thanks for any input.

Dena

Dena:

The Alaskan Railroad dome Car is the best way to travel to Denali. The trip takes about 8 hours. It is another 4 hours by train to Fairbanks. You travel thought beautiful country side. I do not know the difference in the price of renting a car vs the train, but the train is more comfortable. Well, that's one man's opinion.

If you go by train- be sure to allow plenty of TIME- like at least a week. As mentioned the train is 12 hour Anchorage-Fairbanks, and I would suggest going in 3 segments. I have ridden on the entire distance- more than once:) and by far the most scenic portion is the Anchorage/Seward run. Least scenic and more repeative is the Anchorage - Denali Park- so my preference is driving, not only for the time frame but to get out and enjoy all the EXCELLENT attractions and sights along the way that you totally miss via rail. One way rentals are costly, you also may find Fairbanks flights more too, as well as more limited. So coming back to Anchorage is no big deal, and the scenery is different. :) MORE important enjoy Seward- consider the regular run of the RR that leaves at 6pm- this will allow you to take the 11:30am Kenai Fjords boat tour. Just a wonderful touring day - don't miss it. :)

Budget Queen,

I have read many of your other posts and you offer great insight to cruising and visiting in Alaska. My husband says, plan it and we'll do whatever, but when I mentioned driving, he was rather leary. How is the road from Anchorage to Denali? Is Denali a must see as everyone says or will we be seeing more of the same after a week long cruise?

Thanks for your response,

Dena

The road is as easy as can be...well maintained and its a straight shot, so you'd have to try really really hard to get lost. Its a 5.5+ hour drive without stops, so trading off behind the wheel makes it a breeze to drive. Lots of great stops along the way to take advantage of. Denali is certainly not repetitive of anything you will see on the cruise portion of the tour - very different topography and different wildlife than you are likely to see during the cruise portion. Ports on the cruise portion are largely towns along the ocean that are cut out from the temperate rain forest. Each has a different feel and all are great. Denali will give you tundra and taiga and mountains and the amazing colors of Polychrome Pass. During the cruise, you will likely see bald eagles, seals, sea lions, otters, humpback whales (all but bald eagles will be best viewed by an excursion) ... and during some times you have a shot at bear with expensive bear watching tours. Denali will give you excellent chances at grizzly, caribou, moose, dall sheep, plus smaller animals (rabbits, falcons, ground squirrels, etc) and low chance at wolves. At least for me, when I think Alaska I have certain images in my mind and I needed my obligatory moose and caribou sighting to feel that I went to alaska. Denali is hands down your best bet for this during the cruise season.

As mentioned above, there is nothing repeative about interior Alaska touring, and extremely SIMPLE to drive. I don't know how else to convey it but the driving is an enhanced concern by many that doesn't have to be. The Parks Highway is a well maintained 2 lane road- mostly stright driving. 55mph the norm. All of the posters here who have driven it - I'm sure are with me on this recommendation? :)

Archived