Short cruise with land tour

PandasRUs

I have been reading for days on here and love all the information. However, I have some questions of my own.

We are first time to cruising and to Alaska. We are on a 3 day cruise on the Volendam with a 9 day land tour through the Yukon and Alaska.

1 - Since we have such a short time on the ship for our first cruise, we want to get the full enjoyment. We are not fancy people or party people. I want to see all the scenery. So how much of other things are there to do?

2 - I read something about cooking demonstrations. Are these free or paid for events? When are the offered?

3 - Trivia games - my husband loves trivia - when and how are these done?

4 - My main interest, after scenery, would be the digital workshops. They all sound great. But with only 3 days (and not full days on the ship) how much will I get to do? When are they offered?

5 - For the land tour portion - how much do we tip the tour guide?

I know I will have more questions, but appreciate any help here.

Thanks in advance.

Cooking demos and trivia games will be listed in the daily programs. You just show up and join in and form a team for the trivia games. Cooking demos consist of a chef and a helper/announcer and passengers get to eat one of the demo recipes. There usually are cooking classes which passengers sign up for the first day of the cruise. These have a cost and consist of 12 people and you eat what you cook. There should be movies and talks about the ports and wildlife. Alaskan cruises are very port intensive so the times of these events are different every day. Read the daily program the night before. Computer classes are first come first serve.

Is there anyone going on this cruisetour leaving Vancouver on 23 June?

I am looking for suggestions as to what to do at the various stops/overnights on the land portion/

BTW-when I went to Trip Advisor I found many negative comments about the Westmark Hotels that HAL uses. Are there readers who have had good experiences? Could it be that the HAL tourists are put into the better rooms?

Thanks, Joe

We did HAL to Yukon and Interior Alaska in '07. We found the Westmark hotels to be totally adequate. In Skagway, Whitehorse, Dawson City, and Tok, they were more motel, than hotel. In Fairbanks it was actually a hotel & suites (very nice suite). In Denali, we were at the McKinley Chalet Resort (absolutely lovely facility sort of like duplexes, but once inside reminded us of a cabin in the woods). In Anchorage we were put at the Hilton.

I had read on this board that lodging in Alaska did not have the amenities you find in the lower 48, so we were pleasantly surprised to find all the amenities, even hair dryers. The hotels were clean, well kept and the rooms were large. We could find no fault with any of the lodging provided.

Your HAL paperwork will give you the recommended amount to tip the tour guide and bus driver. I believe the daily amount was $4 per day for the guide and $2 per day for the bus driver, but they may have gone up since '07.

You can also go to HAL website and sign in to the personalizer to look at what excursions will be available at the different stops. They will only let you book what you have time for. If there isn't time, it says that excursion isn't available. I booked ahead of time to be sure to get the tours we wanted. But there are also folks at the hotels along the way, to book if you want to book when you arrive into town.

When you arrive at Denali, you will be given your hotel key, a map of the grounds, and a ticket for whatever time your tour into Denali will be. The shuttles that go around the grounds to the various buildings at the resort, will sometimes be crowded. We had to wait for 3 shuttles before we were finally able to board one to get back to the main building where the restaurants are. And be prepared, food in Alaska is at least double what we pay in the lower 48. Breakfasts were generally $15 pp for a buffet. Lunch ran around $23 pp and dinner was around $30 pp. And these were the run of the mill restaurants at the hotels.

Have a great cruise.

somehow I deleted mu post...so I will cut it short.

regarding the Westmark Hotal, adequate is the correct word.

Hilton in Anchorage was fine. Not great but fine. Centrally located that makes it easy to walk to some nice restaurants and the tourist info. center where you can get a bus/trolley to some tours. Great view of the mountains.

Denali McKinley Chalet Resort was nice. Yes, very lodge like. Free wi-fi, is right across the road from the "downtown" area with some stores, restaurants. No A/C as I remember but it was cool then so no problem. (late May, early June)

Fairbanks Westmark was ok. Bit run down in areas but ok.

Tok Westmark was motel like, but actually quite nice. The employees there are excellent, nice Mexican restaurant, motel was spotlessly clean.

Dawson City Westmark are in several new, very attractive buildings but no A/C and it was HOT. Hot. Did I mention it was hot. little fan in room did not do it for me.

Whitehorse was probably the worst of the bunch. No A/C, Hot, bit run down, HAL screwed up my excursion that had me in a bad mood.

Vancouver Fairmount Airport was by far the best! A toatally lovely hotel, perhaps one of the nicest I have ever stayed in. I would stay there again in a minute.

Archived