Question about NYC after my cruise in August

Hello ! My DH, DD and myself are going on Carnival Glory out of NYC on August 5th for a 4 day cruise to Canada. We are from Maryland and are going to drive up and park at the terminal. The cruise comes back on August 9th which is my and my DD's birthdays. Since it will be our birthday, we are planning on spending the day we disembark in NYC. My question is, are we able to leave our car at the cruise terminal and just pay something extra to leave it there, or are we not allowed to leave it there and have to park somewhere else? If we can't leave it at the terminal can anyone give me an idea of where to park our car and how much it would be? Our plan is to go to Times Square so our daughter can see Toys R Us and ride the ferris wheel, and possibly also visit the statue of liberty and central park that day as well.

Thanks for any help !

Princessofthesea,

If you are staying an extra night in New York City you can leave your car at the cruise terminal and then pick it up the following day by 1:00 pm.

You will get the best information if you simply call the Manhattan Cruise Ship Terminal - (212) 641-4454.

I'm sure you and your daughter will have a banner day celebrating your birthdays in the Big Apple, but, try not to bite off more than you can chew.

A trip down to the Battery and a boat trip over to the Statue of Liberty can take several hours, perhaps four or more during a hot summer day. It will be tiring.

Since you will pass the Statue of Liberty twice on your cruise, a visit to Times Square followed by a stroll to Central Park would be something very special. Maybe even a carriage ride.

Just keep in mind it gets very hot here in August and you can run out of steam real quick.

Enjoy your visit and your cruise.

Jonathan

I am guessing your daughter is a little girl since she wants to visit Toys'R'Us? If you go to Central Park, there is a very nice zoo you can visit there with her. It isn't huge but there are several nice exhibits including the Penguins which will be great to visit in August.

If you are in Central Park area try the Museum of Natural History Doing Central Park in August can get very tiring. Or you can do Rockefeller Center ( a few blocks from Times Square) the American Girl Place Store and Build a Bear, of course the NBC store get stuff from your favorite TV shows. Be warned NYC can be humid as all hell in the summer time.(not as humid as NOLA or Florida though) I don't know how old she is but you got Toys R Us any "theme" or chain restaurant you can imagine in Times Square. Also in Times Square Hello Kitty Store, M&M's, Hersheys Store(although Herseys store is way too crowded for what it is) across from Dave & Busters. I hope you celebrate your daughters birthday, you won't be bored

Alrana

For toys, I recommend FAO Schwartz over Toys R Us any day.

When I was little, my dad would take me on the subway from Brooklyn (an exciting adventure in and of itself-oh how times have changed) to FAO Schwartz about once every few months and we would walk around the toy store, I would get one small toy, have lunch (always a hot dog and a root beer) at a small coffee shop nearby (no longer exists), and 'test drive' the new cars in what used to be the Buick dealership that was located next to FAO Schwartz (also no longer exists).

For toys, I recommend FAO Schwartz over Toys R Us any day.

When I was little, my dad would take me on the subway from Brooklyn (an exciting adventure in and of itself-oh how times have changed) to FAO Schwartz about once every few months and we would walk around the toy store, I would get one small toy, have lunch (always a hot dog and a root beer) at a small coffee shop nearby (no longer exists), and 'test drive' the new cars in what used to be the Buick dealership that was located next to FAO Schwartz (also no longer exists).

I was talking about Times Square area, FAO Schwartz fun to look at, but I went to visit last year since it re-opened its not the same to me as I remember going when I was little. It doesn't have the customer service level it once did. Still fun for tourists though

Alrana

Not to disagree, but many of the "chain stores" can be found in any mall across America. I always scratch my head when I notice that the M&M store and Hershey store are so popular. Besides the fact that you can visit Hershey, PA if you really love Hershey chocolate that much. I am sure they have day trips. :) Yes, it is the dog days of summer in August, but if you are here you must enjoy the uniqueness of NYC. There is plenty of shade in Central Park. Sitting on a bench eating a hotdog or a pretzel or Italian ice looking up and seeing the skyscrapers is something a child will always remember.

If you are in Central Park area try the Museum of Natural History Doing Central Park in August can get very tiring. Or you can do Rockefeller Center ( a few blocks from Times Square) the American Girl Place Store and Build a Bear, of course the NBC store get stuff from your favorite TV shows. Be warned NYC can be humid as all hell in the summer time.(not as humid as NOLA or Florida though) I don't know how old she is but you got Toys R Us any "theme" or chain restaurant you can imagine in Times Square. Also in Times Square Hello Kitty Store, M&M's, Hersheys Store(although Herseys store is way too crowded for what it is) across from Dave & Busters. I hope you celebrate your daughters birthday, you won't be bored

Alrana

The OP is from Maryland...same heat and humidity as Manhattan. ;)

Pam, as cruiserking mentioned, the trip from the terminal to the Statue of Liberty will take a big chunk of your day. You will be able to get some great camera shots of the Statue from your ship.

Enjoy! ;)

Thank you so much everyone ! As the last poster mentioned, I am from Maryland so yea I am very used to heat and humidity in summer, lol ! I am def. going to do Central Park, my daughter (she will be turning 7 that day) will absolutely love it, and then we will also go to the Toys R Us since she really wants to go there. Thanks for the advice about the statue of liberty, I don't want to do that if it takes up alot of time, and like several of you mentioned, I will see it from the ship. Thanks everyone, I can't wait until our trip !

Thank you so much everyone ! As the last poster mentioned, I am from Maryland so yea I am very used to heat and humidity in summer, lol ! I am def. going to do Central Park, my daughter (she will be turning 7 that day) will absolutely love it, and then we will also go to the Toys R Us since she really wants to go there. Thanks for the advice about the statue of liberty, I don't want to do that if it takes up alot of time, and like several of you mentioned, I will see it from the ship. Thanks everyone, I can't wait until our trip !

She may enjoy MARS 2112 for lunch.

It is a fun place for kids.

Also, I will be on the same crusie.

Julie

Archived