Important information about the Vatican

SuiteTraveler

I was just in Rome last week touring the Vatican. Before we went, we had lunch, and I made sure to use the restroom and did not drink any fluid at lunch. It turned out to be a really good decision. The Vatican was mobbed and there are almost no restrooms once you have entered the Vatican museum except in the Pinecone Courtyard which is at the begining of the tour almost. Please be aware of this if you are going to be touring the Vatican. It takes several hours to get through the museum and Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica and when we got out, the line for the restroom was about a block long. Even the cafe's nearby had long, long bathroom lines so we instructed our tour driver to take us away from the area so that we could use the restroom.

Finding the restrooms in the Vatican Museum was something of a challenge--the ones we found were near the entrance but down some stairs and halls. They weren't too terribly crowded when we were there (in April), but crowded enough. Definitely try to use them before you start touring or going to the basilica.

I didn't see any others, but that doesn't mean they weren't there! We got a little turned around a couple of times.

I plan to go to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica in the morning, so I can beat the big crowd and I will not need to use the restroom until after I finish all that. No matter how hard it is to find a restroom, I will always drink fluid during lunch.

Well, as one who seems to ALWAYS be looking for a bathroom (especially after taking my meds in the morning) I didnt have any problem.....but then we had a private guide and she knew where all of them were ;)

The most stragetically placed one is right before entering the Sistine Chapel. And while there were tons of people there, the line for the ladies room wasnt too bad....... and it is about halfway thru....... museums, bathroom, chapel then St. Peters. Worked out well.

I plan to go to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica in the morning, so I can beat the big crowd and I will not need to use the restroom until after I finish all that. No matter how hard it is to find a restroom, I will always drink fluid during lunch.

You, and everyone else, plan to go early. ;) That is their busiest time. If you really want to avoid the crowds, go in the afternoon or on specially reserved evenings.

• 5 years later...