I Don't want Shrek

LOL I don't have to justify our choice to anyone as long as we are paying for it. I know about all the options on Oasis, etc. and I enjoyed many of them tremendously.

The first reaction when we got an e-mail about new entertainment (like many others we talked to) was " RCL wants to become like Disney line" .

As I said before it's about image that cruiseline creates for new and repeat customers. Honestly...Just imagine being a new cruiser... what would you think if you see the announcement about Shrek and Donkey? You would think that this cruiseline caters to families and children first .

Lately with the "Why Not?" marketing disaster RCL's overall image is changing. IMHO not for the better.

Why was "Why Not" a marketing disaster (just curious)?

Edit: As a first time cruiser I picked royal Caribbean based on their image ... namely catering to a demographic (20 - 50 ish), with an upscale (by middle class standards) feel in terms of the decor, but still an active pax (RCCL commercials reminded me of the old Club Med commercials). I could be wrong, I'm just saying that's always been my impression of RCCL based on their commercials/marketing material. I also have always had the impression that RCCL catered to families ... but not to the extent of Disney lines that are ALL about the kids. (yes I understand that Disney lines have lots of adult activities but the impression their marketing materials give off make it look like it's a kid crazy line IMHO)

The Shrek thing I'll admit does have a Disney'ish feel ... but whatever everyone is doing this sort of thing now land based resorts included.

Ah...another of those nostalgic about the "good old days" of RCI. I don't go all the way back to the beginning of the company, but have taken several RCI cruises over the last 15 years. So, the changes I've seen:

Then: Food in MDR was pretty good, but not 5-star by any means. Specialty restaurants didn't exist. Lots of midnight buffets, if you're into dining at midnight.

Now: Food in MDR is pretty good, but not 5-star by any means. Specialty restaurants are a notch above MDR. Still not 5-star, but makes a nice alternative to the large dining room food and atmosphere. No more midnight buffets.

Then: Service varied, but was usually very good. Sommelier would recommend bottles of overpriced wine.

Now: Service varies, but is usually very good. You have to pick your own bottles of overpriced wine, unless you happen to have a wine-savvy waiter.

Then: Experienced cruisers who want to sound sophisticated talked about how good things used to be.

Now: Experienced cruisers who want to sound sophisticated talk about how good things used to be.

AGREE ... the "good old days" couldn't have been all that great (or profitable) or they would still be doing it exactly the same way.

Those days are long gone on RCL. So many people say, "if I wanted a Disney experience ... I would go to Disney" ... well if I wanted fine dining, I would just drive into my local city (San Fransisco) and dine. Why do I need a 7,000 week vacation to enjoy fine dining? I don't. A cruise is more than any 1 ... or even any 1 group of vacation/enjoyment factors.

I think that the addition of Dreamworks helps naildown what has already been obvious for years. The new core group of people targeted for cruising are families. This is what has changed.

it's the SHREK NEWS in their face that just ONCE AGAIN says to "OLD-STYLE" Cruiser ... we don't build ships with you FIRST in mind anymore. Yes we still want your business, but NOT AT THE EXPENSE of losing family cruisers (who make it able for ships to sail at +100% capacity).

We can't sit by with the 2 largest ships in the world and allow Disney and NCL to have a better family experience IN ADS!!! We need to equal that checkmark ... they've got characters, we do to ... NOW family/new cruiser ... why wouldn't you want RCL ...we have EVERYTHING (so they can advertise) that they have and MORE!

BREAKING NEWS ... someday SHREK will be played out ... but there will be a NEW SENSATION to become the new Head Character (remember Ninja Turtles?) ....so the news flash is

CHARACTERS ON THE SHIP ARE HERE TO STAY AND WILL ONLY BE ADDED TO MORE SHIPS! Deal with it!

IF film/TV characters didn't help add sales and increase marketing possibilities ... McD's would have dumped the idea long ago! Instead, SHREK collectable figures are currently avail. in 2010 happy meals ...enjoy!

Primary Target audience:

what was: Newlywed, nearly dead, and overfed.

Now: Families (yet still keep the old core ... has more than half the above group ... have really just part of the Family group all along...

So RCI builds 2 great innovating ships that I have heard are a "destination in themselves" and that is still not enough? I mean zip lines, aqua theater, thats still not enough? They have to add "characters" on board? If they are really hurting in the entertainment department, too bad they couldn't add like Cirque de Solei instead of Shrek. Do people really want to watch the movie "Shrek" on their vacation when they could easily do that from home? Me personally I like to do things on vacation that is just a little different from typical boring home life.

I can assure that you that RCI is not hurting in the entertainment department. IMHO they have the best of any line that I have cruised of the recent cruise lines which includes HAL, Carnival and NCL. The Oasis class takes it up several notches.

Not everyone has to go and see Shrek. There is still plenty of other entertainment on board. Not everyone on the Oasis goes to see the comedian, Hairspray, Oasis of Dreams, Frozen in Time, Headliner,etc. but the option is there. It's called having a choice.

The first reaction when we got an e-mail about new entertainment (like many others we talked to) was " RCL wants to become like Disney line" .

As I said before it's about image that cruiseline creates for new and repeat customers. Honestly...Just imagine being a new cruiser... what would you think if you see the announcement about Shrek and Donkey? You would think that this cruiseline caters to families and children first .

Ok, well then please feel free to provide your justification for why Sponge Bob and Dora are ok, but Shrek and Donkey is wanting to become another cruise line. :rolleyes:

Not liking the shrek thing.

I don't sail Disney because I don't want a theme park vacation when I cruise.

And we are a true Disneyland family.

I don't like a cruise trying to be everything it isn't.

Just like Vegas turning into kid world...

Leave Shrek at universal theme park.

I think there is enough going on with a Royal caribbean cruise for families, without plugging a dream works stale used up movie theme.

I agree 100%. I like cruising because I feel like it's an escape from the "everyday madness." I don't want to see cartoon characters wandering the ship. Let's hope they aren't wandering through the MDR playing with kids.

Families have always cruised...at least mine has.

For us the attractions were always the ports....maybe RCI feels the need to add cartoon characters because there aren't many ports they(the mega ships) can dock in yet and they are afraid that if they can't tender pax on shore they will be stuck with a ship full of kiddies that need to be entertained so they won't tear the ships apart.:eek:

And they(cruiselines) can't do what they used to do...people can't afford to cruise unless the fares stay low...so they have had to dumb down the food and the service is suffering because they have cut staff. They have to fill their ships with someone..anyone..so they will continue to discount cruise fares hoping to attract pax with the rock bottom fares.

RCI has tried to have "more" already...ice skating rink...rock climbing wall..no one else has those...but now they have decided to introduce chartoon characters. Evidently what they have been doing hasn't been working as well as they hoped and they need to do more in order to fill their ships.

I agree 100%. I like cruising because I feel like it's an escape from the "everyday madness." I don't want to see cartoon characters wandering the ship. Let's hope they aren't wandering through the MDR playing with kids.

They were on the Big Red Boat ships..we haven't done Disney so I can't say what goes on there...I do think there are specialty restaurants on Disney where adults can dine in peace and quiet...without all the hoopla...maybe RCI will relegate the character dinners to one section of the dining room...or those with early seating will be treated to worse than the waiters who parade around and sing.:rolleyes:

I'm curious. Are you even aware of NCL's partnership with Nickelodean? :confused:

I can assure that you that RCI is not hurting in the entertainment department. IMHO they have the best of any line that I have cruised of the recent cruise lines which includes HAL, Carnival and NCL. The Oasis class takes it up several notches.

Not everyone has to go and see Shrek. There is still plenty of other entertainment on board. Not everyone on the Oasis goes to see the comedian, Hairspray, Oasis of Dreams, Frozen in Time, Headliner,etc. but the option is there. It's called having a choice.

Not unless they start showing the Dreamworks movies on the NEW poolside screens their going to be installing. Then your pretty much stuck unless you don't like to lounge around the pools on sea days? Either you like it or not, cruisers on these ships are going to be seeing a lot more Shrek and Donkey. Simple as that. And IMHO, its not headed in the best direction...

They were on the Big Red Boat ships..we haven't done Disney so I can't say what goes on there...I do think there are specialty restaurants on Disney where adults can dine in peace and quiet...without all the hoopla...maybe RCI will relegate the character dinners to one section of the dining room...or those with early seating will be treated to worse than the waiters who parade around and sing.:rolleyes:

Hopefully by the time I go to dinner on late seating, Shrek and Donkey will exhausted and fast asleep in their staterooms.:rolleyes:

I agree, however, I have to say those pictures posted by crusinmama06 are an extreme. When I cruised Disney, it was during a school month and it wasn't nearly that chaotic on deck.

That was a "school month" ;) You think I'd be crazy enough to cruise Disney during the Summer Break? :eek: No way! :p

I sailed on Magic in February and those pictures were taken in September on Wonder -- September 11th when all of the kids were suppose to be back in school -- I always pull mine out for that reason.

Not unless they start showing the Dreamworks movies on the NEW poolside screens their going to be installing. Then your pretty much stuck unless you don't like to lounge around the pools on sea days? Either you like it or not, cruisers on these ships are going to be seeing a lot more Shrek and Donkey. Simple as that. And IMHO, its not headed in the best direction...

And maybe everyone should just wait and see. As I mentioned in a previous post, this entire post reminds me of the PROPOSED changes that would be coming for the C&A changes that were recently posted. Many folks were jumping off the deep end with their drama and then the results were much ado about nothing.

Also, RCI announced that the new screens on Freedom and Liberty would be located under the Viking Crown. If that's the case then they will be located in the H2O Zone which is a kids area. :) On the Oasis and Allure, they are located in the Aqua Theater.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not but...If you will notice they are only bringing it out on one ship to begin with believe me if it doesn't go over well it will be gone. I've noticed these cruise lines come out with these things and they sometimes disappear just as fast. Cirque disappeared from the Celebrity ships just to mention one. And as I recall there was something going around about Adventure Ocean coming into the dining rooms to retrieve children, did that ever happen?

Didn't they also try something call the "Bar at the End of the Earth" or something like that? I haven't checked in a while but I thing that went the way of Cirque also.

Also, RCI announced that the new screens on Freedom and Liberty would be located under the Viking Crown. If that's the case then they will be located in the H2O Zone which is a kids area. :) On the Oasis and Allure, they are located in the Aqua Theater.

Well what exactly do you think they are going to be showing on these screens, since we know they are NOT going to be in the H2O Zone?

Travel is just as important for children as school. In fact traveling can foster increased judgement skills, tolerance for other people and other cultures, getting along with others in close quarters IE cruise cabins lol.

Traveling is an awesome way to see new things and thats also why a lot of europeans and australians and New Zelanders take off and travel between thier last year in high school and the first year in University.

So yes travel is important,

Adri :)

I'm sorry but it doesn't make someone evil because they don't want to be on a ship full of young children. Disney markets a certain way for people who like those things, and Royal is doing it for some of their ships. Everyone does not have to like it.

I'm hardly a "senior citizen" nor do I mind having kids on board. The kids entertainment should, IMO, be focused on cruise specific things- sun, sea, enrichment activities not found normally at home. Kids (and many adults) watch entirely too much television at home as it is...too much commercialization cheapens the experience.

I would love it if RCCL put this commercial focus stuff on just one ship in each class, and let other ships remain as they are. Or better yet add more enriching activities to those other ships.

And you know for a fact that they are not going where RCI has stated that they will go?:rolleyes:

Outdoor Entertainment Screens

The pool decks on Freedom and Liberty of the Seas just got a lot more interesting - and they were pretty spectacular to begin with. New 18.5 foot screens will be hoisted up over the main pool area to feature movies under the stars, bigger than life sporting events and more.

What do you think those movies they mention will be?:confused: Perhaps Dreamworks movies? Guess it will be harder to escape Shrek if he's playing on the big screen and also in the MDR and also roaming around the promenade. My point is your going to be immersed in it whether someone like it or not, myself being the latter.

Outdoor Entertainment Screens

The pool decks on Freedom and Liberty of the Seas just got a lot more interesting - and they were pretty spectacular to begin with. New 18.5 foot screens will be hoisted up over the main pool area to feature movies under the stars, bigger than life sporting events and more.

What do you think those movies they mention will be?:confused: Perhaps Dreamworks movies? Guess it will be harder to escape Shrek if he's playing on the big screen and also in the MDR and also roaming around the promenade. My point is your going to be immersed in it whether someone like it or not, myself being the latter.

And again you don't know what they are going to show. You folks just love drama. Maybe a return to Carnival is what you need. More Fun Ship Freddy.:rolleyes: LMAO at all of the Henny Penny stuff.

RC did not become a multi billion $ corp by pretending. Neither did Dreamworks. A deal like this has been in the works for a very long time and analyzed, studied, discussed at the highest levels and probably used independent consulting firms before any papers were signed.

Sort of brings to mind when they changed the formula to Coca Cola. They had to scramble to bring out "Coke Classic" after that analyzed bomb.

And neither do you. But I'll tell you one thing, they didn't pair with Dreamworks and add a pool side screen for nothing.

Well I guess we can all wait and see. I will sit back and watch all the drama makers on this thread continue to tell us how the world is coming to an end due to RCI's latest move. LMAO.:D

Archived