I Don't want Shrek

RCI is changing..for the worse. Their food is going downhill fast..their service isn't far behind and many long time RCI cruisers are looking at alternatives despite spending alot of time and money to move up the benefit ladder. That is sad. And it says alot about the pax they are trying to attract. Evidently they can get away with substandard food and service with their new clientele. That is fine with me. I'll spend the extra $$ when I sail RCI and eat in the specialty restaurants and leave the MDR to the masses that have no idea of what they are missing and think the standards are just fine.:rolleyes:

Ah...another of those nostalgic about the "good old days" of RCI. I don't go all the way back to the beginning of the company, but have taken several RCI cruises over the last 15 years. So, the changes I've seen:

Then: Food in MDR was pretty good, but not 5-star by any means. Specialty restaurants didn't exist. Lots of midnight buffets, if you're into dining at midnight.

Now: Food in MDR is pretty good, but not 5-star by any means. Specialty restaurants are a notch above MDR. Still not 5-star, but makes a nice alternative to the large dining room food and atmosphere. No more midnight buffets.

Then: Service varied, but was usually very good. Sommelier would recommend bottles of overpriced wine.

Now: Service varies, but is usually very good. You have to pick your own bottles of overpriced wine, unless you happen to have a wine-savvy waiter.

Then: Experienced cruisers who want to sound sophisticated talked about how good things used to be.

Now: Experienced cruisers who want to sound sophisticated talk about how good things used to be.

DH is disgusted with the thought of the "characterization" of cruising. Whatever happened to providing good food, good service, and docking in exotic ports of call? Now all these ships do is sail the ocean, stop at 1-2 predictable spots, and offer theme-park madness and crowds at every turn.

It still exists. That's the way we cruise. Come to the dark side... join us. ;)

This has to be one of the funniest threads I've read in some time.

If few actors walking around in costumes bothers you so much, then you have some issues...... :rolleyes:

I bet that the ones that complain the most are the same old pretentious snobs that want to believe they are on a very luxurious liner from the early 1900s and even though their inside cabin was $300 pp, they believe that everybody should dress up, and play "let's pretend".

RC did not become a multi billion $ corp by pretending. Neither did Dreamworks. A deal like this has been in the works for a very long time and analyzed, studied, discussed at the highest levels and probably used independent consulting firms before any papers were signed.

I'm sure they realize they will lose some passengers after this announcement, but perhaps they know they will pick up double the number of new clients.

Get real people, it's not the end of the world and ultimately there are other choices...... if few dressed up actors walking around offends you that much.

I would think character meals would be very limited and other character meet and greets would be scheduled in a certain area of the ship for a limited time. The Disney cruise (3 night) I was on several months ago had no character meals. I believe the longer Disney cruises may have 1 or 2 character meals, and I believe they are scheduled for either breakfast or lunch on sea days. Almost all of Disney's targeted customers are families with small children. Since RCI has a wider range of targeted customers, I would expect the character's presence on the ships to be less; and, since these are bigger ships, there will be many alternate areas on the ships to avoid the characters.

I'm too lazy to see if this has already been said....

Carnival's for the party crowd

Disney's for the young kids

Royal Caribbean wants them all

This is why they are able to pull off 21 ships cruise after cruise. If you don't like it, it's as simple as this: DON'T CRUISE WITH THEM! Adam Goldstein won't miss you. Your complaint letter to him will be returned with the same canned response for the other 700 he received already today. If you want your own little cruise paradise, HAL or Celebrity would love you have you. If you can't afford to cruise with them, maybe you save up and go less often. Only one cruise a year??? The horror! :D Seriously, there are families lined up ready to take your empty cabins. RCI will survive without you.

How do you know what is in Adam Goldsteins's head and who made you his spokes person? I am quite sure that he would prefer to attract new customers and keep the ones that he already has.

If someone were telling patrons of my business to go somewhere else the first thing I would try to do is get rid of the loud mouth telling them to go elsewhere.

While I understand that some might not want to see Shrek, I don't see that it would interfere with the cruise too much.

I don't have a cruise booked with Royal anytime in the near future, but I would probably be one who would get a kick out of seeing the character. Not to mention the looks on kids faces would be priceless.

That's the beauty of the variety that exists - you do have options, and will hopefully find something that meets your needs.

I agree with those who've said, though, that the objections about this new "alliance" are somewhat silly when the NCSB (no child shall board ;) ) contingent choose to sail on ships that are marketed directly to families. Really, as someone suggested on another thread, who do you expect to inhabit a ship boasting a water park, carousel, zip line, kids club, etc.? If you want to enjoy all the amenities that have been designed first and foremost with kids and young families in mind, you have to accept that they are exactly the company you'll be keeping while on board.

Does anyone really book a vacation to Disneyland and expect there to be no children? :confused: To me, booking a ship like the Freedom, Oasis, etc. is pretty darn close to the same thing.

As I mentioned on the other thread, there will be kids on Celebrity too - and Princess, and NCL, and on any other line that invests the money and space to create kid-friendly areas. There are a few lines that will guarantee an adult-only environment - unless you're booking one of those, I don't really think there's ground to complain about kids on board. After all, YOU make the choice which cruise to book.

Lets see, my husband and I fall into the DINKs category, but we have no problem sailing with families that have well-behaved children. I think that even parents don't enjoy being around a lot of unruly kids, so I don't think we are too different in that aspect.

I would like to go to Disneyworld at some point, and fully expect to see (and not be bothered by well-behaved children).

I think it is wonderful that kids today are able to experience things so young.

With that said, what line could be booked where you would never find children? it seems very odd for someone to think there is one.

Cruises have become family friendly so you will find them on all cruise lines, on all ships, at any time of year. Although there may be areas marked "adult only" there are times where children are still in there.

You will also find Families taking land-based vacations (even to places children might not want to go to).

Unless you stay at all-inclusive adult-only resorts 100% of the time, you will see children.

This has to be one of the funniest threads I've read in some time.

RC did not become a multi billion $ corp by pretending. Neither did Dreamworks. A deal like this has been in the works for a very long time and analyzed, studied, discussed at the highest levels and probably used independent consulting firms before any papers were signed.

I'm sure they realize they will lose some passengers after this announcement, but perhaps they know they will pick up double the number of new clients.

Get real people, it's not the end of the world and ultimately there are other choices...... if few dressed up actors walking around offends you that much.

A great post and one that makes perfect sense. Let's face it, if Royal Caribbean did not change things once in a while, what would the Debbie Downers have to complain about? Like I said in a previous post, Holland America is taking reservations and they have Bingo, napkin folding, grandparents time, trvia and many other things that will interest this group.;)

After reading this entire thread (Whew!!!!) I get the feeling that there is a certain age group that does not like the changes that Royal Caribbean is making. For that group, I highly suggest Holland America. It seems that most of you will fit that age group quite nicely. You can even trade grand and great grand children stories with each other while those on Royal Caribbean enjoy ships that are built for the young and young at heart.;)

What age group is that?? I am 25 and DH is turning 28 this week (Happy Birthday Honey!!)... no kids, no grandkids....

A deal like this has been in the works for a very long time and analyzed, studied, discussed at the highest levels and probably used independent consulting firms before any papers were signed.

Adam Goldstein's wife cooks up a big pot of rigatoni. Five 26 yos from Harvard, Brown and Yale write different objectives on paper and attach to separate macaroni. Adam's secretary throws at wall. The ones that stick go to the shortlist. Adam takes the shortlist, goes home to dartboard, and whichever idea comes closest to bullseye gets the final nod.

A great post and one that makes perfect sense. Let's face it, if Royal Caribbean did not change things once in a while, what would the Debbie Downers have to complain about?

Then, they would just keep whining about the same thing over and over and on numerous different threads, saying bye bye to RCI....yet, they will not be able to resist remaining on the RCI boards. Then, they will sign in as their alter-egos to fight with the ones who dispute them. It's always the same old story.

What age group is that?? I am 25 and DH is turning 28 this week (Happy Birthday Honey!!)... no kids, no grandkids....

One can by 25 and act 90. This thread is an example of that.;) Why would anyone book a cruise on a cruise line that caters to families as their main target and then "witch" about kids and what the cruise line offers? That's like going to the grocery store and complaing that there is too much food in the store. :rolleyes:

I would think character meals would be very limited and other character meet and greets would be scheduled in a certain area of the ship for a limited time.

I would make an educated guess and say that IF there are going to be character meals, it will be extra charge just like the alternate dining venues. ;)

They are good lines. I recommend you give both a try. :D

You got me on a typo. Meant to post HAL and Celebrity. I wouldn't go on HAL but would try Celebrity if they had a better itinerary and price than a similar Princess cruise.

You got me on a typo. Meant to post HAL and Celebrity. I wouldn't go on HAL but would try Celebrity if they had a better itinerary and price than a similar Princess cruise.

Celebrity is actually running some itineraries cheaper than RCCL!! 7 Night Southern Caribbean on the Summit for $449 inside cabin (February 2010)... it is the itinerary DH and I are keeping an eye on for our next B2B.

One can by 25 and act 90. This thread is an example of that.;) Why would anyone book a cruise on a cruise line that caters to families as their main target and then "witch" about kids and what the cruise line offers? That's like going to the grocery store and complaing that there is too much food in the store. :rolleyes:

Hum... I don't know many 90 year olds who would do this on their next cruise:

rappel.jpgcanyoning3.jpg

http://www.cocoacottages.com/video1.cfm

Archived