Bermuda with limited mobility and wheelchair

Azure Moon

Hi all.

I've been over on the Bermuda board but wheelchair and limited mobility information is a bit sparse.

For instance, I'm somewhat confused about the buses - have seen that they aren't accessible, they are accessible, ???? I'm feeling confident about the ferry system because of positive experience comments.

This will be our first time to this destination so would love to hear what you had good luck with, things you found challenging, places you loved, things you'd say to pass up, etc. Tours, sightseeing, touring on your own, entertainment, dining,....

Besides my mother's mobility issues, she is also diabetic (so will need to eat as needed), so I'd like to go armed with one or two restaurant ideas in each of the three areas - Dockyard, Hamilton, and St. George, so if you have a place(s) that you liked/loved, found accessible, had good food, and nice ambiance, please share.

Thank you. :)

We were in Bermuda on RCL 2 yrs ago. My husband has a power chair & got off the ship & we walked, well I walked & he powered all aroung Kings Wharf with no trouble. We went into a restaurant to eat. Sorry I cannot remember the name. would have to look at the pictures. Food was very good but it is expensive. I think we spent $50 for lunch. He did not go on the ferry & the buses are not accessible. They do have a tram from the pier to the town area. (or they did then) On the 2nd day my husband wanted to stay on the ship & I ventured onthe ferry alone. I would like to go back one day.

Azure Moon -

We were just in Bermuda with our mobility scooters. I assume that you will dock at King's Wharf, which is the Dockyard. There are a few things at King's Wharf, however you can now take the ferry to Hamilton. There are a lot of restaurants in Hamilton, but we packed a lunch. I travel with a small portable cooler. I think St. George's is also accessible by ferry. For some unknown reason, I am not able to the ferry schedule this morning. Maybe you will have better luck. http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt The ferry dock is right by the ships and you can get your ticket at building by the ship.

For ease of traveling and to save on battery power, we followed Front Street to the other side of the Cabinet Building and then went up hill a couple blocks and then followed Church Street back. That helped eliminate some of the up and down hills. We had our picnic lunch at a small park by the library.

The buses are not wheelchair accessible and I think the accessible taxi went into hiding.

Hope this helps.

Betty

0082.gif

Hi all.

I've been over on the Bermuda board but wheelchair and limited mobility information is a bit sparse.

For instance, I'm somewhat confused about the buses - have seen that they aren't accessible, they are accessible, ???? I'm feeling confident about the ferry system because of positive experience comments.

This will be our first time to this destination so would love to hear what you had good luck with, things you found challenging, places you loved, things you'd say to pass up, etc. Tours, sightseeing, touring on your own, entertainment, dining,....

Besides my mother's mobility issues, she is also diabetic (so will need to eat as needed), so I'd like to go armed with one or two restaurant ideas in each of the three areas - Dockyard, Hamilton, and St. George, so if you have a place(s) that you liked/loved, found accessible, had good food, and nice ambiance, please share.

Thank you. :)

We've used uniquevacations@logic.bm twice. They had an easy lift for w/c or scooter and accommodate 12 people or so. Nice 1/2 day or full day tours -- to your specifications. There is a lot to do in Bermuda and they know accessibility and interest levels. Highly recommend. Vicki

We were in Bermuda this past Novemember and docked at King's Wharf where I found it very accessible with my Travelscoot. We took the Ferry over to St. George. We had lunch and hit a few of the shops but I could not get around as easily as I did at the Dockyard.

xxoocruiser, thanks for the link. Have been looking it over and found some information I hadn't run across before :cool:.

gram2trips, thanks for telling of trip. Your experience in the Kings Wharf area has relieved my mind about that, so we should have some fun there. The tram sounds good. I'm going to mark our trip calendar with a lunch or dinner there since you were able to get good food in an accessible restaurant. LOL, my photo album will probably end up with another picture of a restaurant check :rolleyes:. He took a picture of the check at Rockerfeller Center Cafe last year and years before that was in such shock he forgot to take a picture of the check but still talks about the price in South Beach :eek:, poor man :D.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. I hope you do get back there.

raindropsalways, yes, we will be docked at the Dockyards - if it doesn't get changed, the Bermuda Port Schedule says at Heritage Wharf.

I've read that Hamilton is pretty accessible (curb cuts along Front Street), but it looks like that's the easiest area to get around there. Not sure about how easy it'll be on nearby streets so will copy and take with me your route up Front Street to the park.

Loved reading about your picnic lunch. Hubby said we could do that if we get too stressed trying to find an accessible restaurant, so I'll do as you did and take a small cooler. Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the link and information about the ferry. Glad to hear that it is accessible and that we don't have to go far to get the tickets :cool:. Really want to get us to St. George! I'm hoping we can walk to many of the sites easily. Would like to get to Tobacco Bay but it's still a big ? mark. Have read that Horseshoe Bay has beach wheelchairs but haven't seen that for Tobacco, but I may have overlooked it. Would love to get to the Unfinished Church, too.

The bus situation is disappointing. I'm wishing the news article I've read were true, but I'm NOT counting on being able to use the buses based on C.C. members experiences. I think that is a big reason why I'm stressing. I want to be able to get Mom, who will probably only get here once, to as many of the major sites as possible, but without buses and being able to rent a car, I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to get her to them. Sidewalks seem to be few in some areas and taxis are too expensive, so those - if found - are going to be our last resort.

Your information HAS been helpful, and I thank you for it!

You've probably heard this before, but it's got to be said...I LOVE your scooter picture. He and the puppy look like they're having a blast!!!

vickila, thank you for the information about Unique Vacations.

Because I wanted to make sure we got to see the islands from the roadways, I had signed the three of us up for a ship's excursion that sounds similar to the excursions Unique Vacation offers. I'm hoping they are the company the ship contracts with because it looks like they really know their stuff and hit the places tourists want.

nieciez, thank you for telling of your experiences at Dockyard and St. George. Happy to hear another "easy" for ferry and Dockyard, sorry to hear St. George is more difficult. Glad that you were able to get there, see it, and got to do some things there. That's (more difficult) what I was expecting and afraid of, but am thrilled that it's do-able. Definitely want to check out the shops.

Thanks, again, to each of you for replying! You've made me feel more at ease about this trip, given great ideas, and made me look forward to this trip again - had second thoughts about it for a while :(.

Sorry for jumping in here but, Azure Moon, I would just like to give you a heads up on something.;) One person said they packed a lunch and you are considering the same thing. I'm not sure what they may have packed but taking food off the ship in Bermuda is a giant NO NO. The only things that are permitted are sealed prepackaged items and those kind of things are scarce on the ships. People have reported that they have taken food off but that does not make it right and the laws of the land should be respected.:)

iheartbda, I'm well aware of the laws and rules of taking food off of ships, but the information is good for cruising newbies to see ;).

The picnic lunch I was talking about would be with things purchased at a Bermuda grocery store or getting take out if any restaurants do that sort of thing.

I went back & checked my pictures for you. We ate at the Frog & Onion Pub. Also we walked to Snorkel Park & don't miss the rum cake factory. You can sample all they make, they are sooo good!! esp coconut one. I will try to post a couple of pics for you.

iheartbda, I'm well aware of the laws and rules of taking food off of ships, but the information is good for cruising newbies to see ;).

The picnic lunch I was talking about would be with things purchased at a Bermuda grocery store or getting take out if any restaurants do that sort of thing.

I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Many do not understand about taking food off the ships. It just seemed like the other poster packed from what was on the ship and you were going to do the same.;)

As for grocery stores, Somer's Market in St. George is a good place for buying snacks as well as the pharmacy at Dockyard. I believe you can get prepared sanwiches at both places, just not positive about the pharmacy. I have friend who just ordered a picnic lunch from Miles Market in Hamilton....it is not too far from the ferry teminal in Hamilton.

http://www.thewaterfront.bm/Reborn-MilesVer3/MilesToGo.htm

The Marketplace on Church St. in Hamilton is a grocery store as a possibility.

http://www.marketplace.bm/marketplace/menusandcatering.jsp

• 3 weeks later...

Check out my post -- #16 on the sticky for reference material (there was no Bermuda-specific category so I posted in the general topic). The link below may work. Note I was there over two years ago, so I hope Keith is still providing service. We also had dinner with him at a nice restaurant in a place with an elevator, but I can't remember the name -- you could probably ask Keith about restaurants or any other info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=46726

Azure Moon -

We were just in Bermuda with our mobility scooters. I assume that you will dock at King's Wharf, which is the Dockyard. There are a few things at King's Wharf, however you can now take the ferry to Hamilton. There are a lot of restaurants in Hamilton, but we packed a lunch. I travel with a small portable cooler. I think St. George's is also accessible by ferry. For some unknown reason, I am not able to the ferry schedule this morning. Maybe you will have better luck. http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.ptThe ferry dock is right by the ships and you can get your ticket at building by the ship.

For ease of traveling and to save on battery power, we followed Front Street to the other side of the Cabinet Building and then went up hill a couple blocks and then followed Church Street back. That helped eliminate some of the up and down hills. We had our picnic lunch at a small park by the library.

The buses are not wheelchair accessible and I think the accessible taxi went into hiding.

Hope this helps.

Betty

0082.gif

Hey there,

I'm sorry to be off topic but where did you get that pic of the guy on the scooter? I have a red scooter and a dog that looks just like that except I am a woman. Would love to get one like it, if possible. Thanks so much for your help!:D

Archived