Realities and Children

ljtee

Hi,

Didn't know what to call this thread... I am just deciding if we will take a private, local tour on Samana with our 2 DS (8 and 5). We have done an island day trip in St Lucia with them and they loved it - and lasted the full 7 hours. However, Samana is not St Lucia and the trip in Samana is a bit rough - with hard terrain and a full day of exploring through very poor countryside.

The tour operator seems very child-friendly, so my concerns about whether the kids could do it all are resolved. The main question I have now before booking this tour is: how to prepare the kids for what we'll be seeing along the way without it overdoing it. Maybe no preparation is needed, afterall, kids surprise me all the time with their openess and acceptance - better than most adults!

This is a vacation for us - I just want everyone to really enjoy the day (which includes horseback trails, waterfalls, visit to see a local school and local hospitality for lunch).

Have any of you taken your kids inland and off the tourist path on some of the more impoverished islands? Was it a good experience for all of you?

Thanks for your experiences,

Lisa

Prepare them for what? I wouldn't say anything...if they ask questions, just like with anything, you answer....not a big deal!

All of the islands (with the exception of GC) are pretty much poor....They most likely won't be fazed. If they are, good...learning experience + vacation...good thing!

I love that one of the great things about travel is the perspective it brings, and it's been wonderful for my girls. We talk about the different lives people lead before, during and after our trips. They know that there are lots of people in this world who don't have any of the wonderful things they're used to, and that some children have to work very hard and don't get to go to school, etc. My girls always choose a few small toys from their toy box and some school supplies to bring to "share" with kids we come across. As cb said, it's great to get a life lesson mixed in with a fun vacation - and I really prefer for my family to get in and see some of the real life rather than stick to the resorts/tourist areas the entire time.

Best,

Mia

I think children need a dose of other's reality. I had to laugh when we drove to DC, we went through some very poor neighborhoods. My kids were like "I'm glad we don't live near here!" We live 2 miles from Newark, NJ. My kids need to get out of their bubble!

Archived