Noob seeking help

TNPirate

I'm heading out for my first cruise on March 5th with my wife and her family on the Holiday out of Mobile and we are really looking forward to it. I've been reading the boards here and have a couple of questions.

I have seen several people talk about taking travel mugs to use to get the free beverages in the mornings so that they can take some up on deck with them while they relax -- what is the most common/recommended size? I don't want to look too greedy going in there with the 60- or 72-oz "Mega Gulp Chiller" from the convenience store when most people have a smaller size!

Also, I enjoy a good cigar, so of course I am going to have to try to procure a Cuban in one of our ports -- we're going to Costa Maya and Cozumel. I do realize that I will have to smoke it there in the town -- I am NOT foolish enough to try to bring it back into the States, and am not even brave enough to bring it back on board the ship. Is there a shop or two that anyone can recommend in either town for a good Cuban? We'll have more free time in Costa Maya -- we decided to do one excursion in Cozumel and have a "free day" for ourselves in Costa Maya.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

We used sports bottles. We even used them for cocktails while walking the decks and playing the slots/tables.

Keep it to a minimum and they don't even ask. Take a mega gulp and you will be uncomfortable with the stares. :eek:

Have a great cruise

We actually brought a hot travel cup and a cold sport bottle each.

The hot cup was the same as we use in the car, perhaps 12 oz?

The cold bottle was the 32oz britta bottle, with mini-filter for water,

or take the filter out. It has a wide enough screw top to get ice

into it, so we'd fill it with ice, then with soda or rum & juice.

Yes it is perfectly legal to bring them and smoke them on the ship. As for the mugs, I think mine is 22-24 oz. Make sure it is insulated in some way, especially if you plan on spending much time on the outer decks. Otherwise, your ice will melt in minutes in the heat.

I would like to surprise my husband with a Cuban. Are there any afficiandos here who know where I could easily find one in Cozumel (near the ship...without going downtown if possible) and how much one would cost? THANKS!!

There's no problem bringing Cubans back on the ship - in fact you can buy Cubans in the Duty Free shop on most ships. If you want to bring some back to the States, simply remove the band from the cigar (there's no way to tell if it's a cuban if it's not marked). If you are going to buy a Cuban in port do your homework now on what the fakes look like - they are out there (even in markets where cubans are legal) and there are lots of them. You can find a good cigar forum on CigarBid.com. Have a great trip!

Archived