Don't be Me!! Use those Ziplocks!

imsulin

This is from someone who has flown many, many times, and just got lazy. Since 9/11, I've tried to take great care to ensure that I have proper documentation, luggage is packed correctly, followed guidelines, etc. Well, the last couple of years, I've gotten lazy about the 3.6 oz. liquid/gel thing in a Ziplock bag. I have a travel cosmetic bag filled with numerous hotel/motel shampoos, gels, lotions, etc., that I've just tossed into this bag, and never thought about it. This cosmetic bag is always in my carry-on (because I've gotten stranded before!). This cosmetic bag has gone through security screening in BHM (3X), ATL (2 X), PDX (6 X), STL (1 X), SFO (1 X),MDW (2 X), BOI (2 X), EUG (4 X), LAS (4 X), DEN (2 X) PHX (2 X), ABQ (1 X). This cosmetic bag has more FF miles than I do! No problems and no Ziplocks! UNTIL SEA-TAC! Had to do an emergency trip, and hadn't Ziplocked anything - ever. Had bought a last-minute multi-airline ticket, and last leg was a (lovely) Red-eye SEA - ATL. Going through SEA security, I was "delighted" to be pulled over by TSA guy (younger than my youngest child) who went through everything in my carry-on, and placed all of the little lotions and gels into a Ziplock, and lectured me about this even after I apologized repeatedly (I'd been up for 20 hours and was boarding a 4 1/2 hour Red eye flight). He then made an example of me by parading the Ziplock up and down the Security line (the only one open at 10:00 p.m., so very long line). Folks were scrambling, I tell ya! I was not allowed to touch my bag, but did ask him to re-zip my underwear compartment, which he refused to do. He didn't say a word about the lighter, disposable razor, or blunt scissors (use them to cut off price tags) in that cosmetic bag. Anyway, good thing that my Delta flight was 1 1/2 hours late leaving, because I hadn't anticipated walking five miles, going up escalators, going down escalators, and riding a train....and escalating yet again...to get to the S gates.

It really was my fault for not being observant, and guess I just lucked out on all those other flights. You better believe I will have all of my gels, lotions, and liquids in a Ziplock from now on! They'll all be in that SEA Ziplock. Flying next in Nov.

Agree, you are lucky they just didn't toss your things. I've had many liquids pass through lots of airports (that I forgot about), but have found nothing gets through in Halifax! Had to be hand searched because I had a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer attached to my backpack. Was told that, "we do it right here."

Yeah - I know I was lucky he let me keep that stuff. ...he was using me as an example to the rest of the line about how this stuff should be appropriately placed in a Ziplock. He DID toss my toothpaste and hairspray, though....the toothpaste was in a 4" tube (thanks to my Dentist!) and probably over the 3.4 oz. limit. Not sure about the mini travel-size hairspray (non-aerosol) - maybe because the cap had fallen off? He didn't even mention the BIC lighter, the disposable razor (with no plastic cap), the 6" bottle of spray cologne, or the blunt scissors, which were left in my cosmetic bag. It was totally my fault - just have a question about how all this stuff was able to pass through screening for the last few years. Anyway, lesson learned! Thanks to all for your replies, and for those checking in at SEA-TAC. (or anywhere else)....follow the rules! Safe flying, everyone!

I just went thru SEA-TAC last week on route home from an Alaska cruise. I always put my quart bag in the bin with my shoes and had my jacket on top. Screener asked if I had liquids/gels (I know he was hoping to bust me!) I pointed to it in the bin. He took the bag out and placed it in the small bin used for coins/cell phones and let me go thru.

They must be extra vigilant....first time I have had them do that.

I came thru there after an international flight several years , and everyone from my flight had everything taken out of their carryon.

Karen

Agree, you are lucky they just didn't toss your things. I've had many liquids pass through lots of airports (that I forgot about), but have found nothing gets through in Halifax! Had to be hand searched because I had a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer attached to my backpack. Was told that, "we do it right here."

Only in Canada Eh?? :D

I'd rather have had him toss the things and skip the lectures and humiliation, but I don't imagine that was an option. Good post, and I'll need to keep it in mind since I tend to forget about these things too.

You know, I really didn't mind the "humiliation" as it were - I probably deserved it. I apologized to those in the one security line still open (loooooooong line at 10 pm!!), and got thumbs up in return. It was good for me to get the kick-in-the -b*** wake-up call. (I'd been up for 20 hours and was functioning on two Aleve tablets, and one non-Starbuck's vanilla mocha). The worst part was the Red-Eye on Delta (completely full) where I'd left my earphones at home and had to pay $2 to Delta just to watch a movie, and tried to gulp down two more Aleve with a short plastic glass filled with 15 ice cubes and one ounce of Diet Coke! Yikes! This was a 757, so it took two hours for the flight attendants just to push the cart down the length of the aisle, before I could ask for....gasp....water! Trust me - I was a total mess when landing in ATL, wearing Pacific Northwest duds (jeans, socks, tennies, long-sleeved top and zippered hoodie) and walking outside the ATL airport at 6:30 am to be met with the seasonal Southern lung-clogging and mind-boggling heat and humidity!

Like you, I'm usually pretty good about what's in my carry on as well as my purse. I have to confess to never using the ziplock bags but make sure I'm well below the allowable limit. One time we were cruising out of Pt Canaveral so we chose to fly into Melbourne. The night before we left home, I went through my usual routine and emptied out my purse and re-packed it. We flew down and got on the ship with no problems. On the way home it was a different story. As we went through security in Melbourne, I put my carry on and my purse on the belt for the scanner. Then next thing I hear is "Step away from the scanner!!" What? Who - me?? It seems that when I emptied out my purse, I missed a small pocket knife that was stuck in a corner in the bottom. Now let me tell you, I'd have to have a very cooperative victim to do any harm with that 1 1/2" extremely dull blade. I doubt that I could open an envelope with it. No matter, it was a prohibited item. The took it away, searched everything of mine on the scanner, pulled out my checked luggage and hand-checked it too. Every flight I've taken since, and there have been many, I know my luggage has been thoroughly searched because I get a love letter inside from Homeland Security.

I am good about following the Zip-Lock rule, but I endured humiliation at the hands of TSA when flying to San Antonio a few years ago for a business meeting.

I checked my bag on the way down and planned to on the way home, but the meeting ended early, so I changed my return flight and decided to carry on my one small bag.

Well, the scanner spotted my jumbo toothpaste tube, so they stopped the line, opened my bag, and exposed my "granny panties" and tampons to the world. :rolleyes: :o

Well, I know what you mean! TSA guy unzipped the compartment carrying my underwear, so I tried to zip it up when I was able to retrieve my bag. "STOP", says he. "Only I can zip this compartment!~". So, I allowed him to do so. Calling my dentist to say "Thanks" for the non-TSA approved toothpaste! Learned my lesson!!

Now - about the really bad food and rude Egg lady at Houlihan's at the ATL airport. Good news is that I got a $15.00 coupon to any Houlihan's!

I am good about following the Zip-Lock rule, but I endured humiliation at the hands of TSA when flying to San Antonio a few years ago for a business meeting.

I checked my bag on the way down and planned to on the way home, but the meeting ended early, so I changed my return flight and decided to carry on my one small bag.

Well, the scanner spotted my jumbo toothpaste tube, so they stopped the line, opened my bag, and exposed my "granny panties" and tampons to the world. :rolleyes: :o

Just repeat, "I'll never see these people again" and next time, seal up undergarments in their own ziplocks. Keeps them from being handled!

On our flt to Buenos Aires I was stopped going through security due to my Pac-Safe bag. The metal mesh must have looked strange to the xray guy because they pulled me aside to inspect the bag. They found only the usual boring traveler stuff but then the bag tested positive for explosive residue.:eek:

They asked me if I'd been handling firearms, whether I take nitro for my heart, whether anyone in my household had been handling firearms then touched the bag. (The answers were no, no, & no.) After a brief, courteous patdown, rescreening for explosive residue (which came back negative this time), and running the bag back through security, they concluded that it must have been a false positive and let me go. They were pretty courteous actually.

The only thing I can add is that the Pac-Safe bag was new so possibly something in the manufacturing process might have left chemicals on the surface of the bag.

The best advice is to go on http://www.TSA.gov website it has the detailed list of whats allowed and prohibited items on US flights. Even gives you a video lessons on the 3-1-1 rule. International airports I would check with them before flying. If you don't want it confiscated then put it in your checked luggage or don't bring it. the lighter,razor, scissors etc. could be purchased here cheaply without going through the security hassle. Just my 2 cents..

Alrana

Only in Canada Eh?? :D

No kidding. I had my entire carry-on bag emptied out all over the table in Halifax - the lady just picked it up, turned it upside down, and dumped everything out, including my DVD player and iPod. No liquids, no gels.

I don't mind the safety aspect of it - they have to do what they have to do. But I could do without the condescending, power-hungry attitude many TSA and CATSA agents have.

The complete opposite was JFK Terminal 7. We'd taken bottled water off of the ship and put it in our backpack and forgot about it. The entire bottle of water made it through the scanner and onto the airplane with no problems (and we were horrified when we discovered it still in our bag halfway through our flight back to Vancouver!)

It's really all about the "Who's on First" in-charge person. I've figured this out. (I think!) Anxiously awaiting my next flight (where I'll have the required Ziploc) to see what happens! Ten airports and then SEA-TAC! Someone was doing their job.....I guess!

Archived