Butchart Gardens - ship excursions enough time?

Going to be in Victoria from 9-6 and want to visit Butchart Gardens. RC tours are 4 hours (we are looking at the gardens and tea excursion); however including travel time and tea we are not sure if this is enough time to see the gardens. Any input will be appreciated.

Its been awhile since we were there last, 2004 to be exact. We went to Butchart gardens by just going downtown. There was a bus station and we were able to buy tickets there including transportation and admission. It was quite a bit cheaper than through RCI. On this tour you can spend as long as you want there and just catch the next bus back.

As I remember its about a 30 minute ride, including the butterfly garden, you will get a couple of hours at Butchart gardens. I think that was about how long we spent there. It did begin to rain when we were there, that caused a few more people to cut their day short.

If it's a SHIP'S excursion, you will NOT be late back to the ship...they will see to it. Whether you have time for more than a "cursory" glance...I don't know...

Get yourself a guidebook on your ports....you may find you don't even need an excursion!

RCI (and all the cruiselines) count on you being clueless about where you're going, and spending big bucks on "excursions"....if you do a bit of research, you can save BIG bucks and do what you want, when you want!

Going to be in Victoria from 9-6 and want to visit Butchart Gardens. RC tours are 4 hours (we are looking at the gardens and tea excursion); however including travel time and tea we are not sure if this is enough time to see the gardens. Any input will be appreciated.

We did this exact excursion last summer. We probably could have spent more leisure time at the gardens, but we felt like we saw it all. This was a great excursion, and I have no reservations recommending this. I do remember the bus driver gave the choice of getting a taxi back to the ship for a couple of people who wanted to stay longer. There was quite a bit of traffic and it is quite a distance from the port to the gardens. We stuck with the RC bus rather than risk getting left behind.

We did the Gardens last month on Celebrity. You take the CVA shuttle from the Pier to the city - cost $7pp return. The driver will show you the CVA stop for the bus to the gardens - it is 50 yards down the hill. You buy the ticket at the stop - cost $48pp return including entry to the gardens. Buses return about every 40 minutes. Allow at least 1 hour to get back to the ship.

Some drivers will take you back to the ship rather than the city. Enjoy - the Gardens are worth it.

We were sailing with another couple and we rented a car (within walking distance from the port) and went to the Gardens on our own. It was very easy and we got there right when it opened before the crowds and tour buses arrived. We did the gardens leisurely and saw everything we wanted to see. When we got back, we returned the car and still had time to do some walking around.

Definitely do the gardens and the tea at the Empress excursion thru the ship. Both are awesome!! My DH was not excited about the tea, but after we left he said that he really enjoyed it. The food was fabulous.

Archived