Tendering in Villefranche

ppfqp

Can anyone give me some tips for tendering in the port of Villefranche? We are on RCCL Navigator of the Seas. We are doing a private tour that starts at 9 am, so I'm wondering what is the best way to ensure that we get ashore in a timely manner. Any advice would be welcome - thanks!

The way Royal Caribbean usually do it is that they publish a time in the Cruise Compass of when and where they will be handing out tender tickets. A line starts to form before the published time. Each tender holds a few hundred people so as long as those at the front are not getting tickets for lots of friends and family you should be able to get on the first couple of tenders if you get there fairly early. From memory they started handing tickets out around 8.30 am just outside one of the lounges on either the day before Villefranche or the day before that.

They work through the first pile of tickets (i.e. tender 1) then move onto the next until the end of the 'handing out time'. I think you can then get tickets from the pursers desk

On the Villefranche day those on RCL excursions will leave the ship first and they will then call the tender numbers in order.

Then the fun starts ;) We were on tender 1 and there were repeated announcements not to go to the disembarkation point until your tender number was called. We still had to fight through people holding tickets for tenders 3, 4 and 5 :rolleyes: However, even though the crew seemed reluctant to move people out of the way, they will not let you jump the queue and they do work in strict order of the ticket number you're holding.

Another thing I would mention is that just because you have a #1, you are not guaranteed priority over higher numbers if you do not get in line on time. Once they start calling #2, for ex., you have to wait in line with the 2's, you cannot jump ahead of a 2 just because you are a late #1.

You should be fine. We just returned from that cruise and the tendering was quite quick. The ship docks early and you can be off by 7:30 if you want to be. They have plenty of boats for tendering and it's a short ride.

Can anyone give me some tips for tendering in the port of Villefranche? We are on RCCL Navigator of the Seas. We are doing a private tour that starts at 9 am, so I'm wondering what is the best way to ensure that we get ashore in a timely manner. Any advice would be welcome - thanks!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the info! So basically, I am taking away two tips:

1) Get in line early to get a ticket for the tender.

2) Be listening for the ticket number to be called and get in line to get on the tender!

Thanks!

You should be fine. We just returned from that cruise and the tendering was quite quick. The ship docks early and you can be off by 7:30 if you want to be. They have plenty of boats for tendering and it's a short ride.

How was the cruise? Any must-sees or must-do's or any other general tips that you can offer? We are going to spend about a week in Rome prior to sailing. This is the first time that I have ever been to Europe, and I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed about planning.

Just back from the Voyageur. Tendering was different they above.

We just headed down to deck 1 and walked right off at 7:45 into waiting tender boat. No need to line up for tender numbers ( this wasn't even an option) or stand in line.

I was waiting and looking form tendering info and where to get numbers since this is how it has been done in the Caribbean

So I guess you will have to wait and see how the ship does it.

Go to your library and take out some books on Rome. We like Rick Steeves (he has a message board also.) Read and plan. You must get tickets to the Borghese Gallary (a must see) in advance. It's also wise to get tickets to Accadamia (David) and the Uffizi as soon as you get to Rome. We spent 5 days in Rome on our first trip to Italy, and then another day on our second trip. So on this cruise we went to St. Peter's and saw the Pope, went back to Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. Then we sat for a leisurely lunch at a sidewalk cafe. It was a special holiday in Rome and it was very crowded but fun. I'm still too jet-lagged to write more, but I'll get back here soon!

How was the cruise? Any must-sees or must-do's or any other general tips that you can offer? We are going to spend about a week in Rome prior to sailing. This is the first time that I have ever been to Europe, and I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed about planning.

It's also wise to get tickets to Accadamia (David) and the Uffizi as soon as you get to Rome.

Just in case there's some confusion - the above are in Florence ;)

Archived