Oil Spill Changing Your Plans?

Soonerbaby

RV man, listen to this link about the oysters: http://audio.wwl.com/m/audio/31637188/oil-spill-disaster.htm

(start around 27:30 mark)

Drago's isn't serving fresh raw oysters any more because the quality has gone down. They still have charbroiled oysters (because they can season them), but the are getting scarce and the prices are going up.

Don't know what to tell you - I still see oysters on the oystercam at Acme Oyster. This isn't peak oyster season, anyway.

I though someone posted Drago's wasn't serving charbroiled oysters, either. ;)

Charbroiled are great! as are fried!

If it isn't oil, it's something else. Texas has their own issues.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=d8f209abd0278505

oystercam-no.jpg

Don't know what to tell you - I still see oysters on the oystercam at Acme Oyster. This isn't peak oyster season, anyway.

I though someone posted Drago's wasn't serving charbroiled oysters, either. ;)

Charbroiled are great! as are fried!

If it isn't oil, it's something else. Texas has their own issues.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=d8f209abd0278505

Good Job :D :p

I love WWL 0870, I listen to them almost every at night, I think they go out to 38 states. As far as the guy shucking oysters, who to say where they came from. I had fresh shucked oysters once sitting in a ski lodge in Vail Colorado, I know for a fact they didn't come from there!

Believe what you want to believe but I think P&J’s tells it all, the oldest Oyster Shucking company in the country has stopped shucking.

Sad, I don't feel good about posting this stuff but it needs to be known

PJ's isn't out of business - just hit and miss for now. Of course oysters in certain areas have taken a hit, but their lifespan in Louisiana isn't long away - they are farmed to end up on someone's plate!

When local blue crab isn't available it's brought down from Maryland and vice versa. Same with some other food.

Gulf Oysters (actually Eastern Oysters, et al), or Crassostrea virginica, are not unique to Louisiana.

http://www.sms.si.edu/IRLspec/Crassostrea_virginica.htm

Who said that they were out of business?? This is what they reported:rolleyes:

"Thursday was the last day P&J Oyster did any shucking, and 11 shuckers didn't have a job to report to on Friday.

Sunseri had warned his employees that the end was near, and the shuckers started working with BP representatives and Louisiana state representatives Thursday to arrange compensation for lost wages."

I agree, save as much of the wild life as possible, if they wanted to save money they should stop the P R commercials they are showing of them saving the birds..Yeah Right

Can't save the birds. Most are migratory. You clean them up and they go right back to where they think they should be....right back to the sludge. Other animals that know better than to hang out will just leave, leaving gaps in the food chain; both plant and animal.

As you should know, it's the water that makes a oyster good or not. We have Apalachicola oysters here and to me they are the best, even tho I’ve been to N.O I haven’t ate any from La and it looks as tho I might not ever get the chance to. I’m too busy eating my share of crawfish to worry about a oyster when visitng.

Have you ever had the fried oysters they serve on the cruise ships?? YUK, they don’t even taste like a oyster to me

"

"Sunseri, who co-owns P&J with his brother Al, said the French Quarter-based company will not shut down entirely. "We may periodically have some oysters, but it's not a continuing production," he said.

The brothers are currently looking to bring oysters in from the West Coast...

"

----------------

To me, it would only make sense to have a backup plan in place for oysters. Anytime there is a hurricane the oyster beds get shut down for a while. The last time was not even 2 years ago.

Gulf Oysters are back after Gustav's surge

http://blog.nola.com/brettanderson/2008/10/gulf_oysters_are_back_after_gu.html

"

"Sunseri, who co-owns P&J with his brother Al, said the French Quarter-based company will not shut down entirely. "We may periodically have some oysters, but it's not a continuing production," he said.

The brothers are currently looking to bring oysters in from the West Coast...

"

----------------

To me, it would only make sense to have a backup plan in place for oysters. Anytime there is a hurricane the oyster beds get shut down for a while. The last time was not even 2 years ago.

Gulf Oysters are back after Gustav's surge

http://blog.nola.com/brettanderson/2008/10/gulf_oysters_are_back_after_gu.html

OK then, but they are not shucking right now due too the OIL SPILL!

Who is Sal, where does he fit in??

Sargent_Schultz "I did. I also have Sal's cell phone number. What does your post have to do with cruising?"

OK then, but they are not shucking right now due too the OIL SPILL!

Who is Sal, where does he fit in??

Sargent_Schultz "I did. I also have Sal's cell phone number. What does your post have to do with cruising?"

They are not shucking right now because it is Sunday, but also because their suppliers are in a very limited geographical area of SE Louisiana that has been impacted by the oil spill. Those suppliers are shutdown, but there are other sources of oysters.

-----

Sal Sunseri is a VP of P&J Oyster Company.

They have said sensors are going into the water today to more accurately measure the outflow of oil, so we know how much is actually leaking, rather than what BP says. It will take a couple of days to get the measurements. Good step ..finally.

They have said sensors are going into the water today to more accurately measure the outflow of oil, so we know how much is actually leaking, rather than what BP says. It will take a couple of days to get the measurements. Good step ..finally.

Why so late, didn't they have these on day 1. again almost two months in they decide to do this

Why so late, didn't they have these on day 1. again almost two months in they decide to do this

Good grief, aren't they embarrassed that they're just doing this????

There really is NO leadership here, is there?

I dont know ...I just saw a interview on the news saying they were going to be putting them in the water today ....so that we know if what BP is saying is the truth... probably BP had sensors that they werent telling us about?? Beats me. Once they get them in the water, then they have to run 24 hours.

Good grief, aren't they embarrassed that they're just doing this????

There really is NO leadership here, is there?

Nope! Contrary to the political posturing and catch phrases you hear during the photo ops, there hasn't been any so far. Where is General Russel Honore when we need him? :mad:

I dont know ...I just saw a interview on the news saying they were going to be putting them in the water today ....so that we know if what BP is saying is the truth... probably BP had sensors that they werent telling us about?? Beats me. Once they get them in the water, then they have to run 24 hours.

I wasn't directing it at you personally, :) I was just asking it as a general question.

I just don't believe BP has been honest. I believe they have been lying since the get-go and the government made the mistake of believing them without conducting their own assessment.

Anyways hopefully we will finally get some truth!

Did you see that giant container that washed up on Panama City Beach, it looks huge, almost too big to wash up on it’s on

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/12/florida.oil.container/index.html?hpt=T1

Nope! Contrary to the political posturing and catch phrases you hear during the photo ops, there hasn't been any so far. Where is General Russel Honore when we need him? :mad:

I always thought it was somewhat ironic that a non-swimmer was sent in for Katrina.

BP was only planning on drilling one releif well, but since they sometimes miss, the President told them they had to drill two, which is what they are doing.

I find it very odd that President Obama has not spoken to the CEO of B.P. not by phone nor in person. I just don't get it!

The first time will be this week again two months in :confused:

BP hasn't given any estimates in quite some time. The erroneous estimates have been coming for some time from outside "experts".

BP will be fined on the amount of oil released. Since they are now capturing a significant amount of it, they may be looking for a way to reduce the fines going forward.

I always thought it was somewhat ironic that a non-swimmer was sent in for Katrina.

BP was only planning on drilling one releif well, but since they sometimes miss, the President told them they had to drill two, which is what they are doing.

Maybe they should try drilling ten, then perhaps one might be successful, the way they're going.:(

BP hasn't given any estimates in quite some time. The erroneous estimates have been coming for some time from outside "experts".

BP will be fined on the amount of oil released. Since they are now capturing a significant amount of it, they may be looking for a way to reduce the fines going forward.

How long is sometime? a week ago???

Monday, June 7th 2010, 12:30 PM

BP apparently can't be trusted -- for leak estimates, at any rate.

The U.S. government will no longer rely on the London-based oil giant for estimates on how much oil is leaking into the gulf, the White House said Monday.

Rather, flow rates calculated by the U.S. government will help determine penalties leveled against BP based on how much oil has been spilled, said White House press secretary Robert Gibbs.

Progress continued over the weekend on getting the leak under control.

The cap placed on the damaged well is now collecting 462,000 gallons of oil a day from leaking into the sea, Coast Guard admiral Thad Allen said Monday from the White House, in advance of a meeting with President Barack Obama and Cabinet members.

That's up from about 441,000 gallons on Saturday and about 250,000 on Friday.

Overall, the ruptured BP pipe is gushing as much as 1 million gallons a day, the feds estimate.

Small boats have been enlisted to help skim "hundreds of thousands" of individual patches of oil that are spreading on the surface.

Allen also said Monday that the clean up process will take years.

"Dealing with the oil spill on the surface will take a couple of months" but getting oil out of marshlands and other habitats "will be years," he said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/06/07/2010-06-07_white_house_bp_estimates_of_oil_leak_into_gulf_will_no_longer_be_trusted.html#ixzz0qlo8Hd38

Archived