Oil Spill Changing Your Plans?

Soonerbaby

BP hasn't given any estimates in much longer than a week.

Evidently they were getting them up until Monday, June 7th 2010, that's when they announced that they would not be trusting them with it anymore.

I think everyone can read and judge for themselves when the last time was

I always thought it was somewhat ironic that a non-swimmer was sent in for Katrina.

That's because they already had plenty of swimmers and clowns. What New Orleans needed was a leader that knew how to take charge and get things done, and that's what Russel Honore provided. Since no one from the federal government has stepped up this time and provided that kind of leadership, we either need the General back or someone like him. And no, I don't care if they can swim or not! :D

BP's estimate was based on oil on the surface and was made sometime ago.

I prefer BP to prioritize stopping and/or minimizing the oil released and leave the estimates - and estimates are all they are - up to the pointy heads - which they have been doing for sometime.

The estimates are not for oil currently being released but are from analysis and reanalysis of earlier video.

BP stated the flow could increase 20% once they cut the riser off, but have released no estimates. Nor has anyone else. And there have been no estimates since the cap has been put in place.

I don't think I can totally believe what the goverment might tell us also. Just saying....

That is nothing new. Same with the media.

The President will be making a prime-time appearance from the Oval Office after he returns from his fourth visit to region - this time including Mississippi, Alabama, and yes, even Florida.

We made final payment for our Freedom cruise out of FLL last month. We sail in two months, so there is no looking back now. We considered another sailing on the NCL Sky out of Miami for New Year's but no telling what it will be like then.

The President will be making a prime-time appearance from the Oval Office after he returns from his fourth visit to region - this time including Mississippi, Alabama, and yes, even Florida.

Id like to know why is Obama making a speech THE DAY BEFORE HE MEETS WITH THE BP OFFICIALS.

LOL fourth visit in two months to the lagest environmental catastrophe this country has ever faced? like I said he needs to set up shop down here

Id like to know why is Obama making a speech THE DAY BEFORE HE MEETS WITH THE BP OFFICIALS.

This is the same president according to Foreign Policy, thirteen entities that had offered the U.S. oil spill assistance within about two weeks of the Horizon rig explosion. They were the governments of Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations.

The U.S. response - Thank you, but no thank you, we've got it.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-real-reason-america-refused-international-help-on-the-oil-spill-2010-6#ixzz0qmEx8dIw

This is the same president according to Foreign Policy, thirteen entities that had offered the U.S. oil spill assistance within about two weeks of the Horizon rig explosion. They were the governments of Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-real-reason-america-refused-international-help-on-the-oil-spill-2010-6#ixzz0qmEx8dIw

Do you think he'll address this and tell us why he turned down their help?

hahahahahahahaha:D:D:D I was just kidding, of course he won't.

LOL fourth visit in two months to the lagest environmental catastrophe this country has ever faced? like I said he needs to set up shop down here

The governor of Louisiana stated every time the President shows up, things get done. The President is getting things done, even though certain factions are in denial.

I said some time ago he needed to get a condo. We've already been around that bend in the river. :rolleyes:

They are still assessing. Or are you trying to now blame the President for the Jones Act? :rolleyes:

Since we can believe everything in the media:p, it is encouraging to read in the article:

"A Belgian group--DEME-- contends it can clean up the oil in three to four months with specialty vessel and equipment, rather than an estimated nine months if done only by the U.S. "

Even if the incompetent U.S. cleans up the oil spill, 9 months isn't years or generations like some desperate politicians have claimed.

They are still assessing. Or are you trying to now blame the President for the Jones Act? :rolleyes:

Since we can believe everything in the media:p, it is encouraging to read in the article:

"A Belgian group--DEME-- contends it can clean up the oil in three to four months with specialty vessel and equipment, rather than an estimated nine months if done only by the U.S. "

Even if the incompetent U.S. cleans up the oil spill, 9 months isn't years or generations like some desperate politicians have claimed.

Bush suspened the Jones Act after Katrina for several weeks ... Obama COULD have done the same until this was contained...... I agree with most of what you say, except about Obama... I think he should have done a lot more and gotten things going more by now. He seems clueless how to lead. He is more reactive, when the U.S. demands he do something, he flys to the gulf and makes a pretty speech.

True when he shows up things go well for a day or two, then they fall apart again.

The governor of Louisiana stated every time the President shows up, things get done. The President is getting things done, even though certain factions are in denial.

I said some time ago he needed to get a condo. We've already been around that bend in the river. :rolleyes:

Bobby Jindal has said quite a lot about the lack of help the President has been giving your state (are you really a Louisianian?). When exactly did he say this, what was the context and how about telling us what else he's said about the Prez.:rolleyes:

Bush suspened the Jones Act after Katrina for several weeks ... Obama COULD have done the same until this was contained...... I agree with most of what you say, except about Obama... I think he should have done a lot more and gotten things going more by now. He seems clueless how to lead. He is more reactive, when the U.S. demands he do something, he flys to the gulf and makes a pretty speech.

True when he shows up things go well for a day or two, then they fall apart again.

Congress makes the laws, not the President. Congress would have to suspend the law, but they should really eliminate it - it serves no purpose.

Some seem to not like the President's style, but he still is getting things done. Very unusual considering the gridlock that usually ensures Washington does nothing.

Congress makes the laws, not the President. Congress would have to suspend the law, but they should really eliminate it - it serves no purpose.

Some seem to not like the President's style, but he still is getting things done. Very unusual considering the gridlock that usually ensures Washington does nothing.

All he has to do is ask Congress to suspend the law.:rolleyes:

LOL, fire. I agree with you. a "pretty speech" doesn't mean leadership. unfortunately for us.:(

Bobby Jindal said it (or press released it); it is public record. He is also a republican and arguably the republican's best shot at retaking the white house, which is a long shot in itself.

Yes, born and raised in New Orleans.

and what else has Jindal said about Obama?

This is a interesting read

When Robert Gibbs the White House spokesman was asked about the Jones Act

If there is the need for any type of waiver, that would obviously be granted, said White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs. But, we've not had that problem thus far.

Democratic Senator Bill Nelson is not so sure about that. Hes hearing from the folks back home in Florida, where they want all the skimmer ships they can get. He sent a letter to Admiral Thad Allen today which read in part:

Admiral, I believe the orange mousse of oil that is now in Floridas waters is more than enough evidence that we need to take advantage of every appropriate global resource. Please advise as to whether we are taking full advantage of the offers of assistance from other countries.

When asked about this by Fox News, Admiral Allen said, If it gets to the point where a Jones Act waiver is required, we're willing to do that too Nobody has come to me with a request for a Jones Act waiver.

After 50 plus days of oil flowing freely into the gulf, the question could be asked: Why do effective and proven foreign clean up ships remain on the sidelines? Carafano believes it may have something to do with the Obama administrations close relationship with labor unions.

Cause this is a big thing for unions, Carafano said. The unions see it as protecting jobs. They hate when the Jones Act gets waived, and they pound on politicians when they do that. So are we giving in to unions and not doing everything we can, or is there some kind of impediment that we don't know about?

If the Obama Administration needs an example of what can happen when global assets are allowed to tackle a massive oil spill, they need look no further than Saudi Aramcos clean up of a massive wartime spill off the Kuwaiti coast in 1991. Aramco summoned every available ship to assist in the cleanup. The company claims it recovered 900,000 barrels of oil in roughly three months. The industry views that effort as the gold standard in oil spill cleanups.

Archived