What Side Of The Boat Has Best View?

They sure don't...:rolleyes:...those of us who have sailed on "boats" for years though mostly do! Now what boat shall I book next! :D

I actually only opened this thread to see how many so called crusty cruise pax would jump on this and what do you know..the first reply...:rolleyes:

Can I help it if I'm a "giver?"

Can someone tell me which side of the boat has the best view for port-side scenes? Starboard or Portside?:confused:

Simple. The best view of port-side scenes would be on the port side. The best view of starboard-side scenes would be on the starboard side.

Yes that way you can walk back to shore when your row boat springs a leak:D

That's ok. I heard the Navy switched over to powdered soap since it's so much harder to pick up. :D

Disclaimer - Non military people, please don't be offended. Military humor is common amongst the services and we do not get offended by them.

I personally do not care one jot what term you use.

Your analogies are fatuous to say the least.

If someone wants to ask a question using slightly inaccurate terminology then that's fine.

It is no wonder that the phrase "Cruise snob" was invented, I guess it had you in mind when it did.

I sincerely hope we never get placed on the same table for our meals, you have turned pedantry into an art form and the mere supposition that because someone has made a slight error in terminology he/she would be potentially ignorant and ill informed says more about you then it does about them.

:p :D :p :D :p Careful he may post that all powerful Captains license!

LMAO!!!!

That's ok. I heard the Navy switched over to powdered soap since it's so much harder to pick up. :D

Disclaimer - Non military people, please don't be offended. Military humor is common amongst the services and we do not get offended by them.

Don't ask and I won't tell! :eek:

lol-045.gif

Is this first hand knowledge from CGIS cause I only carry soap on a rope :D

Correct terms makes you appear to be a more seasoned cruiser. I am sure after reading the responses you won't make that mistake again;). As far as which side of the ship is best, the itinerary you are sailing may make the difference, i.e.,

Vancouver to Anchorage- N bound - Starboard is preferred

Anchorage to Vancouver - S bound - Portside is preferred

This is just an example, docking does vary by ship and port. I am usally more concerned by what is on the deck above rather than side of ship.

Bottom line...Port or Starboard vs. Home or Work...either side sounds good.

Correct terms makes you appear to be a more seasoned cruiser. I am sure after reading the responses you won't make that mistake again;). As far as which side of the ship is best, the itinerary you are sailing may make the difference, i.e.,

Vancouver to Anchorage- N bound - Starboard is preferred

Anchorage to Vancouver - S bound - Portside is preferred

This is just an example, docking does vary by ship and port. I am usally more concerned by what is on the deck above rather than side of ship.

Bottom line...Port or Starboard vs. Home or Work...either side sounds good.

maybe so but arguing about those terms to REAL sailors makes you look like a cruise nerd who really has no clue as to what we are referring to. :D

and while I'm at it, is there some particular award or honor in being a "seasoned cruiser"? :rolleyes:

ok...off to book another cruise on my favorite boat! :p

No particular honor or award for being a seasoned cruiser. As the comments posted have shown there is a high level of sarcasm demonstrated by the posts from "experienced" or "seasoned" cruisers. I find that most people that refer to a "ship" as a "boat" are simply unaware of the difference in the nautical term, and no reason to jump down their throat. I have witnessed "experienced" cruise pax giving a newbie a verbal lashing for using the word "boat" onboard. Not needed in my opinion, just a simple explanation of the term may make one's onboard life a little easier without being lectured.

As many times as I have cruised I am sure I have misused more that one nautical term.

No particular honor or award for being a seasoned cruiser. As the comments posted have shown there is a high level of sarcasm demonstrated by the posts from "experienced" or "seasoned" cruisers. I find that most people that refer to a "ship" as a "boat" are simply unaware of the difference in the nautical term, and no reason to jump down their throat. I have witnessed "experienced" cruise pax giving a newbie a verbal lashing for using the word "boat" onboard. Not needed in my opinion, just a simple explanation of the term may make one's onboard life a little easier without being lectured.

As many times as I have cruised I am sure I have misused more that one nautical term.

I see your point and WOULD LOVE some cruise pax to acoust me in person when I call it a boat, it would be a confrontation they would long remember. :p

Maybe its time to let others here that don't seem to get it (even though several of us have thrown out MANY hints in this thread) on a little secret....

MANY Coasties (Brown water Navy :eek:) and Navy vets use the term BOAT as an affectionate term for their ship and to have some "I've been on 10 cruises" type person try to correct us on an internet forum and God help them in person on a boat really annoys us.

So when we post that "you don't get it" and them some wanna be posts that no "we" don't get it is pretty laughable. A great Navy saying is VERY appropriate here for those folks. " I've got more time on the dumper than you've got at sea!" Though we don't use the term dumper! ;)

Remember this when you go around "correcting" people you don't know, the next one might be ME! :mad:

Maybe this post will FINALLY clue in some of you "salty cruisers" that think you have it all figured out! :)

OP, as others have said, ships do not dock in a consistent orientation. Sometimes the pier is on the starboard (right) side, sometimes it's on the port (left) side. Sometimes the ship is facing land other times the bow is facing the sea.

Generally the view on the port side of the ship going in will be the starboard view when leaving. Rarely this will not be true. More importantly, if you don't like the view from your cabin you can simply head to an upper deck that offers views from all sides of the ship.

Best views of the port, in my opinion, are generally forward from an upper deck as the ship enters the port; or aft (towards the rear) as the ship leaves.

Simple. The best view of port-side scenes would be on the port side. The best view of starboard-side scenes would be on the starboard side.
The best view of the port-side would be from shore. :)

Nowhere does a simple rope have more names than on a boat.

tied to an anchor it is a RODE

tied to a sail it is a SHEET

tied to a dingy it is a PAINTER

tied to a cleat it is a LINE

tied to pulley it is a HALYARD

tied to the mast and the for/aft of the boat it is a STAY

tied to the mast and the sides of the boat it is a SHOURD

Get it right or you will be corrected, but it is still just a rope, and a ship is just a big boat

MANY Coasties (Brown water Navy :eek:) and Navy vets use the term BOAT as an affectionate term for their ship...

That is 100% correct.

Calling a ship a boat is like calling a square a rectangle. Technically, it is correct, but not the other way around.

Nowhere does a simple rope have more names than on a boat.

tied to an anchor it is a RODE

tied to a sail it is a SHEET

tied to a dingy it is a PAINTER

tied to a cleat it is a LINE

tied to pulley it is a HALYARD

tied to the mast and the for/aft of the boat it is a STAY

tied to the mast and the sides of the boat it is a SHOURD

Get it right or you will be corrected, but it is still just a rope, and a ship is just a big boat

Excellent, new word game :)

tied around a neck it can be a LANYARD

Hey Paul,

Ive got a YNC desk jockey, that is my roomie, that used to be a white hull YN1.

He laughed his butt off and said thanks to you for the ammo for our next liberty cuff night

BTW He's 5'9" and wear's his PFD around the house all the time:eek:

OP, as others have said, ships do not dock in a consistent orientation. Sometimes the pier is on the starboard (right) side, sometimes it's on the port (left) side. Sometimes the ship is facing land other times the bow is facing the sea.

Generally the view on the port side of the ship going in will be the starboard view when leaving. Rarely this will not be true. More importantly, if you don't like the view from your cabin you can simply head to an upper deck that offers views from all sides of the ship.

Best views of the port, in my opinion, are generally forward from an upper deck as the ship enters the port; or aft (towards the rear) as the ship leaves.

That's an informative answer, which I think addresses the original concern correctly. We booked our first outside stateroom for our next (second) cruise and although I'm not sweating the details about whether we have a premium view or not, I was kind of curious to see if maybe certain ships always dock on the port or starboard side in certain ports or not. I know Mariner is going to be tendered in Cabo, so that's not an issue there. I can see advantages to having a view of the port but it might be nice to see mostly water and not the hustle and bustle. It's kind of a win/win situation in my book, but I was curious.

Archived