What NOT to do - tips for first-timers!

cpygrl

But you need to tip your waiter as they are not included in autotips.

This brings up a good question... who all isn't included in automatic tips paid at the end of the cruise? How much tip is generally paid to these staff members? For example, how much should we tip for the room service waiter?

Speaking about time differences, we are sailing on Rhapsody in September to Alaska. Now the itinerary says we get into port @11am & leave port @8pm, is this Alaska time which is 3hrs earlier than central time OR is it Pacific time which is one hour earlier than Alaska & 2hrs earlier than central here in Mn?

I just want to know which zone to set our watches to-thanks for all the good advice:)

You didn't specify which port. It is always up to the Captain [and will be clearly noted in your daily bulletin], but on this cruise it is almost guaranteed that the Alaska ports will be on Alaska time and your Victoria, Canada port will be on Pacific time. Time issues usually arise when you are only in a time zone for one day [ie many Florida cruises that include Cozumel, where CZM shore is on Central, but everything else on the cruise is Eastern - often no change in ship time there, but it varies from Captain to Captain].

Thom

This brings up a good question... who all isn't included in automatic tips paid at the end of the cruise? How much tip is generally paid to these staff members? For example, how much should we tip for the room service waiter?

The autotips will include everyone that you are "obligated" or "expected" to tip, with these exceptions:

The maitre'D...and frankly, lots of us don't bother with him, as he(she) makes a large salary (unlike the folks who work for him, the waiters and such, who rely on the tips to supplement their otherwise-meager salary). If the maitre'D has actually DONE something for you -- like arrange a different dining time if you're in "fixed" dining, or had special meals prepared for you, or gone out of his way to seat you, then you might want to tip. I can't give you any idea of how much, as I've never requested nor received anything from a maitre'D.

The staff who deliver room service: sometimes they are waiters, often not. A usual tip is around $1 a plate. An example: I order room service coffee -- one pot, two cups -- $1 tip. I order breakfast for 2 -- $5.

And this is each time you order room service, not at the end, because whoever delivers it will likely be different each time.

Spa staff -- although some lines are now including tips on your bill, much as they do for bar service.

Bartenders and/or servers, IF they've done something special for you. For example, you frequent the same bar, the bartender sees you coming and has your favorite drink prepared. You might want to tip at the end of the cruise in addition to the 15% tip already added on to your bar bill. Or -- one night I spilled a martini all over a chair. The waitress was quick to clean up the mess, while constantly reassuring me that "it's not a problem! It's OK! Happens all the time!", etc. I gave her $10 for her efforts.

The staff of the kids program, if you have kids that use the program.

That's all I can think of...

• 2 weeks later...

i would like to know why you have to tip the bartenders if you are already being charged a 15% gratuity on the drink straight onto your s&s card..... that's double tipping

also the mandatory tipping on your s&s card says it gives $3 to your stateroom attendant.... so tipping him/her again would be double tipping... :confused:

don't get me wrong.... i will tip someone that deserves it, but i just think the cruise lines are milking us.... if we are being charged the $10 a day tip upfront (which i agree is not much) and then 15% on all drinks.....come on, who tips a bartender/waitress at a bar 15% EVERY drink?? if a drink is $4.75 you give a .25.... if it's $4.50 you might give the .50

then there's the occasionally tab of even dollars where you'd slip a dollar or two

but i honestly don't like being forced to tip a specific amount. i will tip what if feel is appropriate. if i get good service, then i will tip good. if someone goes out of there way for me and does something extraordinary (like cleaning up a drink i spilled) then yeah, i'll tip extra. but i don't like the whole automatic 15% tip added to my charge on the s&s card -- and then expected another tip on top of that

JMO

before this thread turns into a tipping debate, let me add my 2¢ in.

The list of things of DOs and DON'Ts are endless. But two (OK three) simple things can be applied to pretty much any situation:

1. Enjoy yourself & relax.

2. Be kind, respectful, curteous & friendly to *everyone* at all times, whether they deserve it or not.

3. Use common sense.

If you do these things, 99% of all these tips mentioned in this thread will take care of themselves.

As a first-time cruiser, I'm terribly afraid that I will be one of THOSE people - someone who does something completely horrid out of pure ignorance of cruise protocol. So experienced cruisers, please share your tips for what NOT to do on a cruise, such as chair-hogging, etc. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this! I will be a first time cruiser in October and have learned alot from your thread! :D

As a first-time cruiser, I'm terribly afraid that I will be one of THOSE people - someone who does something completely horrid out of pure ignorance of cruise protocol. So experienced cruisers, please share your tips for what NOT to do on a cruise, such as chair-hogging, etc. Thanks!

Don't be late. You must arrive at embarkation about 2 hours before the ship sails and at each port at least 30 minutes before the ship sails. If you are late, you literally could miss the boat.

Don't gather up all your ship photo's into a stack and place them back on the shelf to purchase later.

Don't place your ship photo's on top of someone Else's photo's in order to be able to find them easier later.

Randall

Speaking about time differences, we are sailing on Rhapsody in September to Alaska. Now the itinerary says we get into port @11am & leave port @8pm, is this Alaska time which is 3hrs earlier than central time OR is it Pacific time which is one hour earlier than Alaska & 2hrs earlier than central here in Mn?

I just want to know which zone to set our watches to-thanks for all the good advice:)

Normally the correct time is announced on the ship and you can always see it on the TV channel. Enjoy your cruise. You'll love Alaska!

Remember your sunscreen and aloe. If you forget it the prices in port are ridiculous. Make sure to do some research on the ports of call and book tours. My husband and I thought we could navigate ourselves ( with the help of Frommer's) through the Carribbean. Belize was not a place you want to try this. Have a lot of fun. Definately bring binoculars, you can actually take pictures through the lenses.

Actually, I will contradict that one. I think most first timers pack too much. It does depend on your style and personality, but you will hear a lot on the more cruise line specific boards "lay out everything you want to bring, then take out half." Some people absolutely have to have different shoes with each outfit, or cannot fathom wearing the same skirt twice, even though it was for only 2 hours one evening.

I have found that for a 7 day cruise, I will bring 2 pairs of dress pants, 3 nice shirts, 4 t-shirts, 2 tank tops, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sandals, 2 swin trunks, 1 pr jean shorts, and maybe a sweatshirt. You can even go less, figuring if you buy souvenier clothes or a nice dress or 2 in port.

Sometime, I want to do a 7 day bringing on only my carryon of money and very basic essentials, and just buying the rest as I need it in port.

That amount of clothing might last me for a 3-day cruise! LOL I tend to bring along about 6-7 pairs of shoes (almost one per outfit but not quite) and most are very lightweight (like sandals and thongs). However, the only time I'll ever be seen wearing something twice is if we have to fly where weight is a restriction. I'll wear the same pants twice but not the top! Guess to each is own! PS - I always get everything in one suitcase too!

Be on time for dinner.

Nothing like 6 people having their order in, appetizers and drinks arrive, and late arriving couple then show up. This disrupts the servers immensely, and can screw up the entire dinner.

Be on time for dinner.

Nothing like 6 people having their order in, appetizers and drinks arrive, and late arriving couple then show up. This disrupts the servers immensely, and can screw up the entire dinner.

And if you know that you are not going to be eating at your MDR dinner table [eg going to specialty dining, staying late ashore, etc.] let tablemates and waiter know. The waiters will generally wait about fifteen minutes before proceeding if you are not there, assuming you are just running a little late. Informing people that you are not coming allows the waiter to start into full-on mode and keeps everyone from having to wait.

Thom

I know all you seasoned cruisers are sick to death of the tipping issues, but could someone please help me here. When everyone is giving advice about tipping, I notice that you all talk in $ and not £s or euro. We are going on Ind of the Seas (31st July'10) from Southampton round the Med. What currency should I have for tipping ?

Thanks

I know all you seasoned cruisers are sick to death of the tipping issues, but could someone please help me here. When everyone is giving advice about tipping, I notice that you all talk in $ and not £s or euro. We are going on Ind of the Seas (31st July'10) from Southampton round the Med. What currency should I have for tipping ?

Thanks

I THINK [someone who knows may need to correct me] that even though the Independence is currently homeporting in Southampton the official ship currency is US Dollars, and "suggested tip" amounts are in US Dollars. Basic tips for your waiters, room steward, etc. MAY [don't have to be] added to your ship-board account, and assuming it is tied to a credit card, at the conclusion of the cruise it will be transferred to that credit account in your home currency. Room Service is typically tipped in cash and others may be. Since the ship is homeported in the UK and going to numerous Euro locations I'm sure that crew members will happily accept those currencies - especially if you use a one to one exchange ratio [ie one pound rather than one dollar]:rolleyes:

enjoy your cruise

Thom

Don't ever reset your watches until they tell you they are resetting ship's time. Excursions and returns are ALWAYS by ship's time and they are not necessarily the same as the time zone you just arrived in. Do not trust your cell phone time. It will change automatically and I would hate to hear that you got left behind because of the difference.:(

Don't be afraid to have your picture taken at every opportunity. Some people think it's a hassle, but I don't usually like pictures of me--I feel stiff. The best pic of me ever is getting off the ship in Barcelona. My friend said something funny and I laughed just as he took my picture. It's one of my faves.

Also, you don't need to buy any of the pictures, so pose on elegant night with the backdrops that you like and if you like it, buy it--you don't have to buy a whole set like the department stores and corner photo malls. AND, you don't have to buy anything you don't want.

Don't ever reset your watches until they tell you they are resetting ship's time. Excursions and returns are ALWAYS by ship's time and they are not necessarily the same as the time zone you just arrived in. Do not trust your cell phone time. It will change automatically and I would hate to hear that you got left behind because of the difference.:(

Thanks for the info, I'll have it on Pacific time when we arrive in Seattle Then I'll wait to hear to change it to Alaska time;)

Don't be afraid to have your picture taken at every opportunity. Some people think it's a hassle, but I don't usually like pictures of me--I feel stiff. The best pic of me ever is getting off the ship in Barcelona. My friend said something funny and I laughed just as he took my picture. It's one of my faves.

Also, you don't need to buy any of the pictures, so pose on elegant night with the backdrops that you like and if you like it, buy it--you don't have to buy a whole set like the department stores and corner photo malls. AND, you don't have to buy anything you don't want.

I'm a photographer & plan on bringing my tripod so I'll get some shots of my wife & I on the ship as well as out & about:) I'll buy one of the pics they take-but just one ;)

Thanks for the advice

Don't pack a t-shirt for every day. Let's face it..we buy t-shirts on the ship and in the ports so you will have a NEW t-shirt instead of trying to fit those extra shirts in, just count on wearing them at some point. Also, don't take your dirty underwear home with you :D. Send a bag to the laundry and get them washed and folded. It's our new cruise tradition! We stuff the bag on the day they run the special, full of underwear, shorts and t-shirts and then we have a suitcase full of clean clothes when we head home. No laundry on my first day at home!!!

Not to highjack the thread but I wanted RubberDuck to know it is very possible to do the carry on only thing. ON our last cruise my checked luggage was delayed so I went on a ten day cruise with just the clothes on my back and a carry on that contained a pair of shorts, flips flops and a change of underwear. I was really upset at first, but after I calmed down and managed to find a few things in the gift shop (courtesy of the airline) I had a great cruise. I have way too many flowered shirts purchased at the ports now, also courtesy of the airline.

Actually, I will contradict that one. I think most first timers pack too much. It does depend on your style and personality, but you will hear a lot on the more cruise line specific boards "lay out everything you want to bring, then take out half." Some people absolutely have to have different shoes with each outfit, or cannot fathom wearing the same skirt twice, even though it was for only 2 hours one evening.

I have found that for a 7 day cruise, I will bring 2 pairs of dress pants, 3 nice shirts, 4 t-shirts, 2 tank tops, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sandals, 2 swin trunks, 1 pr jean shorts, and maybe a sweatshirt. You can even go less, figuring if you buy souvenier clothes or a nice dress or 2 in port.

Sometime, I want to do a 7 day bringing on only my carryon of money and very basic essentials, and just buying the rest as I need it in port.

I'm a photographer & plan on bringing my tripod so I'll get some shots of my wife & I on the ship as well as out & about:) I'll buy one of the pics they take-but just one ;)

Thanks for the advice

That is great advice :). Hands down, some of the best "couple" photos we've ever captured on vacation were because we brought along a lightweight tripod and a camera with a timer. It seems like there is never someone around to take your picture when you really want one. Plus, the tripod helps make the photo sharp, adding to its quality.

(Oh, the photos taken outside the cabin come out good too.) :o

Archived