What NOT to do - tips for first-timers!

cpygrl

Great advice from everyone!!:D

Which brings me to my Number One "DON'T"-- DON'T fail to fully use cruisecritic for your pre-cruise research! You are already here, reading and asking questions, which is a good start. If you haven't done so already, find your cruise in the Roll-Call threads, and see what's up over there. While you're there, see if your cruise has a "meet-n-mingle" type onboard party that you can sign up for. Also, look your ship's ports up on the "ports of call" thread -- you'll find LOTS of good advice there about tours, etc. Wish I had found these boards before my first cruise!

Have a great first cruise -- but don't forget to come back and tell us all about it --and maybe post a review. :p

I have used Cruise Critic EXTENSIVELY since booking our cruise. The Carnival website has lots of info, but it's great to hear from people who have "been there, done that" - personal experience is much more informative than corporate PR (and I work in PR) ;)

My roll call is moving slowly, but there are several people on there, including one person who is in a group of 25, I believe.

Again, thank you all for your VERY helpful advice!!!

Good ideas - even for experienced cruisers.

I will add - Don’t rely on your cell phone for the correct time. It may be a different hour than the Ship's time.

YES - I'm very glad you mentioned that because my husband and I very rarely wear watches! I'll have to bring my cheapo workout watch :) Thanks!

Wow - thanks ya'll! The main thing I'm trying NOT to do is overplan. I'm bad for that. I want to be prepared, but there's definitely such a thing as overpreparing.

Definately be prepared, try to learn what you can about the ship beforehand and what will be available to you. Using these boards (including the cruise line specific tabs) will be a big help. Don't make a specific plan, but know what your options are so you don't waste time trying to figure stuff out.

Ask all your questions, but alsouse the search since many times it has been answered and possibly more info given than what you would get this time asking.

In the end, relax and be open to new things.

Here's my don'ts:

- chair hog

- cut in the buffet line

- over-pack

- don't be rude to any of the staff (if you treat them with kindness, they might amaze you!)

- stress out, especially about finding out everything (part of the fun of the 1st cruise is seeing and experiencing everything for the first time)

my dos:

- get to departure port city at least one day before the cruise

- have a great attitude

- try at least one new food every day

- plan on catching at least one sunrise and one sunset

- make your expectations reasonable (everything probably won't be absolutely perfect, but just roll with it!)

- do a dress-up/formal night and have portraits taken (my favorite souvenirs)

YES - I'm very glad you mentioned that because my husband and I very rarely wear watches! I'll have to bring my cheapo workout watch :) Thanks!

I will pile on about the time issue for emphasis. ALWAYS wear a watch on shore, NEVER set it to anything but ship time, NEVER trust locals or their clocks about time, and ALWAYS take your real (not copied) passport anytime you leave the ship. The only thing worse than paying $1000 to catch up to the ship from a missed departure is being stranded in a foreign country with no way to prove your right to spend your money to catch back up to said ship

Now that I've scared you into wearing 4 watches - have a nice cruise :)

"Pleasant, yes. Normal, that's debatable ;)"

Oh, you'll fit in just fine :p

DON'T block the stairs or access to the elevators

DON'T allow your kids to run wild and annoy others

DON'T forget that you CAN have fun without a glass in your hand

DON'T believe people who slam cruiseline-sponsored shore excursions

DON'T make fun of the places you visit and the people who live there

A lot of good responses. But to me, number 1 is....DON'T EXPECT PERFECTION"!!!! Most of us spend a good deal of money for our cruises and some people expect EVERYTHING to go as expected, planned, dreamed of, hoped for, etc.....And chances are it's not going to happen.

Things happen. Situations will come up, people will be rude, a little glitch here and a little glitch there. Fix the things you can, roll with everything else and I promise you'll have a wonderful cruise.

Happy cruising!!!!

Don't assume that fancy drink handed to you upon boarding is free. Many times people accept them and then are presented with their first charge slip to sign.

If you have any photos taken by ship personnel on't buy any of them until the last night or so. You will be able to see all of them together after the first couple of nights. We also ditch the ones that are absolutely horrid, so no one else is privy to them. There is usually a discard box in the photo gallery.

Other than that, don't worry too much about what you may miss that other people discuss here. A vacation should be worry free as much as possible. If you try to do it all you will be exhausted when you get home. The first cruise where we relaxed and didn't go to shows or demos or parties I felt a bit guilty. Now being lazy is one of my favorite passtimes on a cruise ship :)

its a pretty traditional one, but be sure to pack enough clothing...you will often find yourself changing multiple times in a day...getting up in the am, after a day in port and then again for dinner...

Unlike what someone else said, dont take way too many clothes, you can have them washed if its needed, sure beats having clothes all over the place :) Roll your clothes and you can fit in more, helps with almost no wrinkles :)

Like you said: Don't be a chair hog--30 minutes total. Go to the bathroom, run to the burger bar, but don't be gone longer than that. Don't save chairs for the whole family.

"Chair hog?" Meaning on the deck if you are sun bathing? Only sun bathe for a half hour?

Like you said: Don't be a chair hog--30 minutes total. Go to the bathroom, run to the burger bar, but don't be gone longer than that. Don't save chairs for the whole family.

"Chair hog?" Meaning on the deck if you are sun bathing? Only sun bathe for a half hour?

A chair hog is someone who leaves their chair for long periods of time - "saving" it with a towel, book, etc. You can sit in your chair as long as you like.

A chair hog is someone who leaves their chair for long periods of time - "saving" it with a towel, book, etc. You can sit in your chair as long as you like.

Oh I totally get it -- thanks for the clarification!

If you are travelling with children, and they are misbehaving, please remove them from public areas. If you need to reprimand your child, please do it privately. It is less humiliating for the child, and less embarassing for the onlookers.

If you are with a group of people, with close-by cabins, please do not leave your doors open and shout at each other across and down the hall.

Say "please" and "thank you" whenever you are interacting with your stewards. Paying your fare doesn't give you the right to treat these hardworking people like servants or worse.

Thank you!! This is great advice (and not just for first-timers)!!

I can't believe nobody mentioned this one:

Don't flush the toilet while you are sitting on it!!

I don't know why anybody would do that. Where I work, toilets flush automatically and I have to get up as quickly as possible to avoid getting my butt sprayed.

How about this one: Don't assume the seat is down and sit on the bowl!

Please be careful when you quote someone. You included my answer as someone else's question.

To another poster: Please read the quotes as well as the answer. I answered that waiters are not included in auto tips as an answer to a question about room service, not waiters in general.

Don't read the first post and answer until you have read all or most of the thread. Your question is probably answered on a later page or you are repeating an answer to infinity and beyond.

As you were.............

I can't believe nobody mentioned this one:

Don't flush the toilet while you are sitting on it!!

Best advice yet! First-timers will be astonished when they flush it for the first time!

My DO list:

1. Do try to participate in as many activities as possible! Who cares if you can't sing karaoke? You'll never see these people again!

2. Do try as many items on the dining menu that you'd like! You'll experience dining pleasures you've never had before!

3. Do what others have suggested....DO NOT worry about the little things that may happen. No world is perfect! Make the best of every opportunity!

4. Do forget about that place you left behind to take this cruise....WORK!

5. Do enjoy a Miami Vice, Pina Colada, Kiss on the Lips or a Mango Swirl. YUM!

6. Do take a stroll along the deck with your loved one! There's nothing more romantic that strolling the deck at night and looking at millions of stars in the sky with your partner next to you!

7. Do get to know a particular bar server during your cruise. Learn to call him/her by name and tip well. You MAY get a free drink or two during the cruise! Works for me!

8. Do pay attention to your watch while ashore! The ship WILL leave without you if you are late to return to the ship!

9. Do remember to pack something to wear to dinner the first night after boarding the ship. Your luggage may not be delivered to your cabin prior to dinner, and you will need something casual to wear.

10. Do remember to leave something out to wear off the ship at the end of the cruise, since your luggage will be set out the night before for collection.

All-in-all, just remember that you're on vacation! Don't let the little things ruin what promises to be a very exciting and wonderful Carnival cruise!

:cool:Bill

As a first-time cruiser, I'm terribly afraid that I will be one of THOSE people - someone who does something completely horrid out of pure ignorance of cruise protocol. So experienced cruisers, please share your tips for what NOT to do on a cruise, such as chair-hogging, etc. Thanks!

You;ve received a lot of good advice about being aware of what time it is and being aware of ship's time.

Remember that the ship's staff are human beings. They work 7 days/week without a break, they don't make a lot by USA standards, they spend a very long time away from home and family. Treat them with respect.

Otherwise, as the actor Woody Strode said, "A nice guy can walk into a room anywhere in the world."

I will pile on about the time issue for emphasis. ALWAYS wear a watch on shore, NEVER set it to anything but ship time, NEVER trust locals or their clocks about time, and ALWAYS take your real (not copied) passport anytime you leave the ship. The only thing worse than paying $1000 to catch up to the ship from a missed departure is being stranded in a foreign country with no way to prove your right to spend your money to catch back up to said ship

Now that I've scared you into wearing 4 watches - have a nice cruise :)

Speaking about time differences, we are sailing on Rhapsody in September to Alaska. Now the itinerary says we get into port @11am & leave port @8pm, is this Alaska time which is 3hrs earlier than central time OR is it Pacific time which is one hour earlier than Alaska & 2hrs earlier than central here in Mn?

I just want to know which zone to set our watches to-thanks for all the good advice:)

Archived