If I Knew Then What I Know Now

I thought I'd start a thread where fellow passengers could share their knowledge of RCI's Freedom-class vessels and policies - what do you wish you knew then that you know now? (Items to order off a menu, special areas of the ship, special requests, etc...).

RCCL SPECIFIC:

• Wish I had known that Cafe Promenade was NOT a pay-extra food option. It shared space with the gourmet coffee shop on my first RCCL cruise, so I assumed it was also something that cost extra. I never went in!
  • Wish I had known that cheezy pirate ship excursions (a'la Barbados and St. Lucia) frequently get cancelled due to weather. I've booked one twice now and both times had to find a back-up plan!
  • I wish I had known that I should always HAVE a back-up plan in the event of an excursion cancellation. I was ill-prepared on my recent cruise when my Barbados excursion was cancelled at the very last minute. I'm a very detailed advance-planner, but I didn't plan for that!!
  • I wish I'd known that I was not locked into the price at the time I booked. I clearly wasn't using the CC boards back then and didn't realize I could ask for lower advertised prices. I never even thought to check!!

CRUISES IN GENERAL:

• I wish I'd known that the women sitting around the pool would NOT all resemble Victoria Secrets models, like they did on the old Love Boat show. I starved myself down to a ridiculous weight for that first cruise! I still practice WW point counting before every cruise, but with a bit more realistic (and healthy) expectations!
  • I wish I'd known that you don't HAVE to get those drinks of the day in the fancy glasses. I'm happy to have a fairly extensive collection of both Carnival and Royal Caribbean drink glasses, but now I just order my drinks in regular bar glasses.
  • I'm glad I didn't know that asking the waiter to help me decide between two entrees on the menu would mean I'd get BOTH! That was a pretty impressive surprise!

Wish I would have known when we stayed in a RFS on INDY we should have gotten some kind of tour onboard..would have loved a galley tour etc...Did have a backstage tour on the ROS..nothing special... especially when we saw it was available to anyone...

Not Freedom class specific, but heck, if I knew back when I started cruising how much fun it was, I would have started a LOOOONNNGG time ago. :p

I wish my Daddy was still around for this, he would LOOOOVVEE being at sea...:(

Not Freedom class specific, but heck, if I knew back when I started cruising how much fun it was, I would have started a LOOOONNNGG time ago. :p

I totally agree. :):(

Pat

I've only been on two but what I learned from the first to the second, plus what I've learned on here is remarkable. I too, did the two entree thing in the MDR. Didn't know I could eat everything on the menu if I wanted to. Most nights, I had two desserts!! The biggest thing I learned is (before my time dining), you DON'T have to have dinner in the MDR if you so choose. I used to think that I would miss something if I stayed in my cabin, or stayed longer in town while docked, or just went to the Windjammer instead. Nothing is off limits. I am much more prepared for my next cruise than ever before, and I'm sure I will learn even more before I leave.

Wish I would have known when we stayed in a RFS on INDY we should have gotten some kind of tour onboard..would have loved a galley tour etc...Did have a backstage tour on the ROS..nothing special... especially when we saw it was available to anyone...

If it makes you feel any better, we stayed in the RS and did not receive any kind of tour or anything besides a bottle of Moet upon boarding in our suite. I too would have enjoyed a tour and my little boy would have loved seeing the bridge and no I don;t need to see respondents jump all over the bridge comment.

Something tells me you're father is enjoying the moments with you. He's watching over you. :)

I wish I had known not to pay your entire payment before the due date, in case a better price comes up. I paid off my next cruise back in February, and the final payment isn't due until mid July. (I don't think I will get a better deal though..I got a room for $460 for 7 nights on Liberty). Still, I wish I had known!

I wish I had known to pack less...

I also wish I had known you don't have to do excursions through Royal Caribbean. After being on CC I can tell you can have just as much fun and be as safe doing something local, like taking a cab to a nearby beach, but for MUCH cheaper!

I wish I had known not to pay your entire payment before the due date, in case a better price comes up. I paid off my next cruise back in February, and the final payment isn't due until mid July. (I don't think I will get a better deal though..I got a room for $460 for 7 nights on Liberty). Still, I wish I had known!

I can't believe that RCI would punish us for giving them our money in advance. I am sure that we would still get an OBC if the price went down before the final payment date.

If you didn't get a call/note from the Concierge it's quite possible it wasn't being offered on that sailing.

Archived