Docked vs. Moored in Monte Carlo?

enmom

"Moored" is another word for "anchored". Yes, it means the ship is out at sea, not up against the dock, and you will have to take a tender.

The tender trip itself took us no more than 10 minutes, but the lines for the tender were a real issue. In the late afternoon, they were more than 30 minutes wait time. In fact, the tenders were still running for half an hour after our scheduled departure time.

Also, if you dock, you are most likely going to be in the main harbor. Our ship's tenders dropped us at Fontvieille yacht harbor, a 5-minute bus ride from the town center. Sometimes ships tender to the main harbor, though.

So, if you are tendering, allow extra time for transportation and lines when you return to the ship.

Coral Reef,

Is there anyway to know ahead of time where the tender will take you? Do I assume that if you go into Fontvieille that there are free cruise line buses to take you into town? I do know that the Seven Seas Mariner is also in port that day.

Thanks!

Kirk

Coral Reef,

Is there anyway to know ahead of time where the tender will take you? Do I assume that if you go into Fontvieille that there are free cruise line buses to take you into town? I do know that the Seven Seas Mariner is also in port that day.

Thanks!

Kirk

Our cruise line's website had "Tender" on the itinerary a long time before the cruise, so we at least knew we wouldn't be docked. (The fact that it was Grand Prix time was a clue, too.) But as far as knowing the tender location, we had no idea until that day. I guess you could try asking the crew, early on in the cruise.

Holland America did not have any buses to take us from Fontvieille into town. We did have a copy of the Monte Carlo bus schedules, and most city buses were marked "Free/Gratis" on the windshield. Not sure whether that's a regular thing, or was just for Grand Prix trials, but it was nice! There is an elevator from the Fontvieille yacht harbor up to the bus stop.

The Palace and Gardens were probably about as close to Fontvieille as to the main harbor. We found it a pleasant walk (albeit largely uphill!).

Archived