WHERE is entrance to Vatican Museums??

sc_cruisers12

I have tried searching for this info and can't seem to find it. I know that the entrance is no where near the entrance to St. Peter's, but I cannot find where the entrance to the museums is located. I want to make sure I know exactly where we are headed (and how to get there) so that I can plan our timing. Thanks so much! :D

Is "Basilica dil San Pietro" St. Peter's Basilica? I did not see "St. Peter's" on that map.

It also does not point out the Sistine Chapel. :confused:

Yes. You'd best get used to seeing names of places in Italian rather than in English -- that's how you'll see them on street signs and directional signs in Rome.

The Sistine chapel is part of the Vatican museum. Here is a link that shows the floor plan of the museum, including the Sistine chapel (or Cappella Sistina in Italian):

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.romeguide.it/VATICANO/musei_images/mappa.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.romeguide.it/VATICANO/museums_and_chapel.htm&usg=__-VGDv_qo-L87cklRmSodj7YrXYg=&h=344&w=375&sz=48&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=_KnKqChodwhoYM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfloor%2Bplan%2Bof%2BVatican%2Bmuseum%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26tbs%3Disch:1

SIMPLY- stay to your right while facing St.Peter's, follow the signs & people. About 5min walk along the wall,

entrance on your left....if you have booked online there is a special line for you to go thru. Try google street view, with the little yellow-guy you may be able to virtually walk there..we saw our Hotel Palazzo Cesi thru the site (300metres from StPeter's). Easy once your there just enjoy!

It can be hard to find if you're expecting the entrance to be right by St. Peter's Square--it's not. As said above, head to the right around the outside of the square--it's quite a ways, I'd say longer than 5 minutes, and goes around a corner or two.

I'm sure there are signs near the square, but we managed to miss them and stood in the security line for the basilica, which was very long, luckily for only a minute or two, before being headed in the right direction by helpful strangers.

I had printed out walking directions to many of the sites, which was very helpful, but somehow missed that the entrance to the Vatican Museums was not right off St. Peter's Square, as I'd expected.

Signage for many of the sites is usually posted, but not as prominent as you'd think. And it does help to learn the Italian names for the sites. though most of them are kind of self-explanatory.

Archived