"must buy" in ports

we are visiting several med. ports this sept. including dubrovnik, palma de mallorca, rome, barcelona, palermo and florence.

what are some of the items that we should really be shopping for to bring back... want to avoid the "touristy" t-shirts, etc... looking for some items that will be great reminders of those ports.

thanks,

zazzy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;08;30;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100  until our virgin cruise Westerdam 8/30/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zazzy:

we are visiting several med. ports this sept. including dubrovnik, palma de mallorca, rome, barcelona, palermo and florence.

what are some of the items that we should really be shopping for to bring back... want to avoid the "touristy" t-shirts, etc... looking for some items that will be great reminders of those ports.

thanks,

zazzy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume you mean the countries not the port per se.Depends on how much you wish to spend.IMHO and my travels I try to buy something that is of that country only.A small piece of Llardro or something similar or pearl earrings in Spain unless it is Barcelona and then something in ceramics re Gaudi( like one of his benches from Parc Guell).Rome it could be anything..you will see what I mean.Florence would be some of the writing paper they make there,something in jewelry from Pont Vecchio,a leather handbag or wallet(although I think Barcelona has better leather)or some Murano glass that are made into medallions or paperweights.You will see so much int these areas you will know what you want when you see it.Have a great time on your cruise.You may have to buy one t-shirt though just for the heck of it...icon_smile.gif

Karen

Ü

Beach towels from "Nice" or "Monte Carlo,"(touristy but fun everytime you use them at home!). Lavender sachets and soaps in So. of France(your luggage will smell wonderful!!! Olive wood cooking utensils and bowls, wine.

I bought a Llardro in Barcelona which was a Gaudi style fountain with a few flowers and two doves...I was told it could only be bought in Spain (?) and it was around $200- Not bad for a Lladro and a bit of "Gaudi" to take home.

I found great venetian glass jewelery in Rome (of all places) and in the tobacco shops (go figure!). Crucifixes are a wonderful gift for yourself or friends (we aren't Catholic, but still find them moving).

The funnest thing we have discovered is tourist pens from every city!!! The ones that have the pictures that move with gravity (the Roman charriots moving by the Forum in Rome, or the gondolla going down the canal in Venice...). Cheap and cheerful! icon_biggrin.gif

Address number tiles for friends in Barcelona.

I love trivets with the names or paintings of the cities on them for use at home.

I also agree with Karen on all the items above too! icon_cool.gif

Nanette

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

olive oil..wines..So. of france look for tableclothes ( Provence patterns-we bought alot of them at a street market & they are gorgeous -have sunflowers & olive patterns on them- are covered with a vinyl..here cost 70+ $ there 8EU.

Barcelona to Venice on Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

Wonderful suggestions everyone ..... keep them coming!!!! How do you all pack this extra stuff to bring home? Ship it or buy an extra suitcase?

I'm notorious for buying the biggest, heaviest item from the furthest place from home and DH has to lug it around the airports in his hand luggage! He's a gem!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until Diamond Princess 5/8/2004 Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;6;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until Millenium 9/6/2004 to Europe!

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

I travel with so many bottles of water and a matress waffle pad (that we leave on the ship) that that frees up one duffle type bag for the "overflow" icon_biggrin.gif

Oh! Zebra, you'll just have to get one of those gorgeous HUGE olive wood salad bowls that I've promised myself each time I've gone to France and have yet the nerve to try to get home!!!!!! I'm sure your DH will thank me for my suggestion!!! icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

In most of the better shops they will ship items to the US for you at reasonable prices.For smaller items an extra bag is doable,but remember most airlines now restrict you to just one carry-on plus a purse so if DH doesn't have a purse icon_smile.gif nor a briefcase he can have the 2nd carry-on.I would suggest not packing any olive oil in checked baggage either. I have seen people do it and I have seen them on the other end..icon_frown.gif

Karen

Ü

thanks everyone for your suggestions. believe me, i am writing down everything in my growing notebook of information!

I love the pen idea... small and a great reminder.

will be looking for the olive oil soap, olive wood kitchen utensils and linens, amoung other things.

we have three children we need to purchast momentos for... i am sure a tshirt and towel will be amoung them. wish HAL made the towel animals that i have read about that other ships do (did)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;08;30;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100  until our virgin cruise Westerdam 8/30/04

We look for water colors by local artists depicting their town or country.

If they are framed they are protected; if not they can be rolled into compact mailing tubes.

Trouble is we are running out of wall space (and no, we don't need a bigger house!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aviendha:

Has anyone ever purchased the beautiful Venetian masks that I've heard so much about?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a mask collector which I started when cruising the Med. I have bought many to bring back from Venice and they are quite beautiful. The hardest thing is deciding which to buy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aviendha:

Has anyone ever purchased the beautiful Venetian masks that I've heard so much about?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everytime we are in Venice I say I have too..this time I made a promise to myself to bring a couple home. They are so beautiful.

Barcelona to Venice on Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

THis is waaaaaay off topic, but please help me out. I always see people referring to their "DH" and it drives me crazy. Like in this thread someone says it. What does this stand for? I thought "designated husband" but I've seen men do it too.

Thanks!! I will probably feel really stupid after you tell me but for now I just can't figure it out.

Actually, "designated husband" is kind of cute!

In reality, it stands for "Darling Husband" or "Dear Husband", whichever you prefer.

Never stupid to ask questions. How else are we going to learn something new? Enjoy.

animtink.gif

Celia

"Jewel OTS " 06/04 # 11 & 12

"Brilliance OTS" 04/05 # 13 & 14

What a great gift ideas. In Barcelona we bought

a painting made from tiles - gourgeous.

Carved Cameo, inlaid wooden musical boxes - in Naples, lace and tapestry in Belgum, silk scarfs in Rome, pearls in Palma de Majorca.

I do like pen idea from differnet cities.

Just do not buy cheese like Lucy ..........

I know what to buy this May on Star Princess.

Thank you everyone.

These are all really great ideas. I always buy Christmas Tree ornaments from places I travel to and that way they bring back great memories every year I put up our tree. I also buy inexpensive drink coasters depicting the city/country so everytime we have company they are fun to use.

Mike,

Since you seem to be a fan of Limoncello, I'll see if I can find the recipe that was given to me by my Italian neighbor and post it for you. As I recall the base is really high-test vodka or other gain alcohol, but if you can find that, it’s pretty easy to make. Of course, it might not be exactly what you remember as I don’t know if you can get those wonderful lemons here that they use in Italy. She also used to make a Lemoncello Crema. That was really yummy.

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Regarding the Venetian masks; make it a point to get to Vence during Carnivale. Once you've been there the masks will take on a far greater meaning for you.

Pacific Princess Oct. '95

Explorer of the Seas Nov. '03

See the Explorer Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/altajoe

Nordic Empress (Empress of the Seas) April '05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2005;04;11;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mike,

I have a couple of bottles in my freezer as we speak. I save them for company. You're right about the ingredients. The time consuming part is peeling the lemons to get enough rind. You have to get the skin, without any of the white stuff. But it's worth it.

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived