"must buy" in ports

Just a suggestion -we have travelled all over the world for 25 years. We use to buy key fobs in the various countries and taking them apart we would hang the remnants on our Christmas Tree. It became overloaded with these little doodads.We bought a 30" wreath, glued these various mementos on it, added our expired passports, "sign and sail" ship ids, and other meaningful mementos of our travels and put it up for Christmas. We received so many compliments plus our own memories that we moved it to the family room where it hangs year around for our pleasure!

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

For a souvenir of Italy that weighs very little and takes up little space, consider pillow covers. I bought four at Passamaneria Toscana in Florence. They have a zillion patterns to choose from. They're not what I'd call cheap, but you'll have an elegant memento of Italy. Here's their site. They ship, too.

Stella Solaris '80

Carnival Celebration '92

RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01

Coral Princess '04

Guest Crazeecat5

My DH and I bought our first masks in Venice on our trip to Italy in 1999. Since then, we have bought masks from various other places that we've been to. We now have an international collection, including masks from the Bahamas and Mexico. We've even bought authentic Venetian masks in Las Vegas. The Venetian hotel has a store there that is also located in Venice.

Sorry we won't be in Venice on our Splendour cruise this summer. We will still be on the lookout for any masks we can find.

Sheryl

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

until cruising on the Splendor of the Seas

Masks can cost anywhere form $5.00 to $500.00. I have a couple of very inexpensive masks and one really nice one. It depends on your taste. I also have some from Greece and New Orleans. I have a wall in my living room that the masks are displayed with room to grow...I am always on the lookout. Everyone comments on them. Believe me, when you get to Venice the hardest will be to decide which one to buy. They are all nice. My last trip I came back with four.

Kootz, Corsica was pretty expensive. We ended up getting a tile hot plate and a little statue of Napoleon (not too exciting!). Portofino, we got a beach towel and some shirts(polo shirts with "Portofino" embroidered on them) and a beautiful little oil painting...a scene of the beautiful port. In Cannes, we also got a beach towel, some of the olive wood utensils, herb d'provence and lavendar.

Bon voyage! Let us know what you buy!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

Guest Crazeecat5

Sorry, I don't remember what we paid for the 2 masks we got in Venice. It was about 5 years ago. However, the one we got in Las Vagas from the Venetian store was about $150.00. We also have a wall in our living room devoted to masks. Can't wait to add some more....

Sheryl

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

until cruising on the Splendor of the Seas

Ted,

Would you or others please share good sources that you have found for local water colors or oils. We will be in Villefranche, Naples, Florence, Venice, Dubrovnik and Rome in July.

Thanks.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TedC:

We look for water colors by local artists depicting their town or country.

If they are framed they are protected; if not they can be rolled into compact mailing tubes.

Trouble is we are running out of wall space (and no, we don't need a bigger house!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, as we're preparing for our cruise on June 19...I came up with the idea to buy a blank charm bracelet here at home (actually recieved it as a gift for Mothers Day today!) and buy a gold charm in each port as a reminder of our first European Cruise.

I can get Limoncello at my local liquor store...

I like to get a really good piece of jewelry- The last 3 out of 4 cruises I have come back with a great souvenir.

In Greece I did get a beautiful gold necklace...

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

• 1 month later...

We recently bought gold charms to represent the cities visited on this cruise (Brilliance 6/19) and the one I bought in Mykonos for E120.00 was only E87.00 in Santorini. Best to look around, but remember where you found the best prices because it's terribly difficult to find your way back to where you began, once you start roaming around in there!

Lynne

Leather Sandals in Greece.

In Mykonos I bought 6 Pairs!!! and I'm NOT a shoe person.

I like to have my feet uncovered so these were a perfect reminder of my trip as I wear them most of the year.

Archived