"must buy" in ports

If you don't have bubble wrap, roll the bottles in your laundry. I have also taken bottles back in my suitcase, well wrapped in plastic and then rolled in laundry (so far touch wood they have been okay). Most bottles though we do take back in our carry-ons.

Note to Tania: Thanks...I'll be in London this weekend, I can meet you halfway!

Note to Zebra: I wrote a long reply for what to buy in Turkey but for some reason when I hit post, it didn't, so I will try to remember what I bought and repost.

If you are in Tuscany, buy the TRUFFLE oil it is so good, so much cheaper over there and is wonderful on risotto.

e

I'm getting so hungry.

We went and talked to a TA tonight about a 7 day cruise in the meditranian preceded by a trip to Paris and London (more practical but not quite what we wanted) or Prague (very different)

I am making shopping lists already. My husband really appriciates it ;)

Well I shouldn't have opened this thread! Now I want to go back to the Med and soon.

We bought a small mask in Venice. Then as an anniversary surprise DH bought a lamp on Murano and had it shipped home (unbeknowst to me.) It is gorgeous. They also had some exquisive inlaid boxes in Venice that are just waiting for me when I return. I found some nice watches with Murano glass faces for a very reasonable price to bring home for a couple of friends. They love them.

In Dubrovnik, we found a couple of crystal glasses that were so unusual. I wish they had had 4 but they didn't. Also got a pretty garnet pendant with beautiful gold filigree. It's one of my favorite pieces of jewelry. In the open air market we also picked up a cutwork tablecloth for next to nothing.

Santorini is jam packed with jewelry stores but we didn't buy any there. My DH got some liquor there that we had read about. I can't remember the name of it now but it wasn't great. There was such a heat wave going on when we were there that we didn't shop much.

In Nice we found some place mats in the Provence style and I absolutely love them. We also picked up more crystal in Eze. (DH is a crystal nut but he carries it so what the hey LOL.)

In Barcelona, DH found an unusual knight in shining armour. We have a lot of midieval things and this silver statue is a real conversation piece.

We also brought back some wine from both Italy and France as well as Christmas ornaments.

Oh I need to go back. Soon. (sigh)

I've mentioned before that I love to buy Christmas ornaments in different countries. But, I have to say, my success varies from place to place. I found some gorgeous ceramic balls in Capri and some beautiful handblown glass ornaments in Venice, but no luck in Florence, Rome or Genoa. In quite a few places in Italy, I was told that they wouldn't have ornaments out until October.

I have found some really nice hand-painted ornaments in Vienna and Prague. Dubrovnik was next to impossible, but we were in August. I saw nothing in Greece (again, probably the time we were there), and have had no luck in Monaco.

Poland (Warsaw and Krakow) did produce some exquisitely beautiful ornaments.

One of my all time favourites is a blown glass mermaid that I bought in Miami (technically it is too nice and too expensive to only put out once a year, but she is stunning.....), but that does not count for europe!:p

What is everyone else's experiences? Where is your favourite tree ornament from?

e

There are too many ornaments to name. I cannot describe the feeling I get when I start to hang them on the tree: it's as though each ornament brings every individual memory rushing back.

- Murano glass Santa on a gondola

- Fuzzy Bear on a keychain from Oxford

- small grecian urn on a ribbon from Athens

- clear glass ball with sand and shells inside from Aruba

- lamp post with hanging flower basket from Victoria

- a glass pyramid ornament that I purchased at the Luxor in Vegas to remind me of Giza (it works as a memory, go figure!)

- glitzed-up fabric ornamants from Windsor castle and Edinburgh

- lace ornament from Brugges

- tiny wooden shoes from Amsterdam

- an empty tiny straw covered bottle of Vino Santo from Siena

etc, etc, etc

• 1 month later...

We found the prices just as good in Venice - just don't buy on San Marco Square, the shops there are wonderful but very expensive. We walked down many, many side alleys and found the goods more moderately priced. Murano is great if you like the "hard sell" - most people go there to see the glass blowers but the "free" trips are offered end up with them trying to sell you their goods. Enjoy Venice it's very romantic. The glass cherries are also beautiful, but also watch for quality. I bought 3 doz, they make a super display on a coffee table in a glass bowl.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep going, I take notes real fast! ;) These lists are very interesting, and are giving me some great ideas! I cannot wait to come home with bunches of Murano cherries for my coffee table. Any chance they make olives I can put in a display glass on my bar?

I would love to hear ideas on Florence, I apologize if I missed a post about it already. Besides gold and leather, I have heard about oils and writing paper. Are theyre any places to look for deals on the paper? DH and I will also see Cartagena and Cadiz on our cruise, if anyone has been to those ports I would love to hear about what treasures you found.

I was so glad to hear the information on the Christmas ornaments. We leave from Venice on 10/24, so I think we will be in the perfect season to find them! Theya re one of my favorite souveniers to buy, and they make great gifts. We think we may try to do a lot of Christmas shopping while we are there.

Okay, my pen is ready, got plenty of paper...what else have you brought home?

Thanks,

Emmie

• 4 weeks later...

Elin... are you still out there????? Please tell me more about the beautiful pottery in Portugal. Did you go to Lisbon? We'll be there in April and wondered if you have any shopping suggestions for Lisbon!!!!!

Also, I read on another thread sometime about port wine in Lisbon which comes in some contraption - sorry I can't find the thread.... can someone please help me?

zebra! I should have known I could count on you to keep my favourite thread alive!

Seems to me I did see olives...maybe on a glass swizzle stick?

With the cold right now, I'm so sorry I didn't pick up any leather gloves in Venice, the ones lined in fur:))

Aprons are great! I picked up a black one from Moët and Chandon when we visited in Epernay. I use it for dinner parties. Adds a little class...

Do you great shoppers take the ship shore excursions or on-your-own? I'm trying to figure out how to find enough time to shop for all of these fabulous things. Have decided to pack much lighter than usual but take the same number of suitcases so that I can bring more things home. My credit card company is going to LOVE me!

We very seldom take the cruise line excursions for this very reason. Most of the time we use a private tour guide who'll give us as much time as needed to shop, other times we just tour on our own. Europe has so many interesting things to shop for!!!

• 2 months later...

I would love to buy a nice piece, but wouldl ove a recommendation... What store? Do you think you got a super buy? I look in Ilouanis in NYC all the time!

I like to get a really good piece of jewelry- The last 3 out of 4 cruises I have come back with a great souvenir.

In Greece I did get a beautiful gold necklace...

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

Archived