Balconies covered?

mexico5

Hi, I have a question about the balconies on HAL. On Princess there are some balconies that are semi covered, not covered at all and completely covered. It is sort of a tier shape. We prefer the covered balconies and on HAL are they all covered?

Hi, I have a question about the balconies on HAL. On Princess there are some balconies that are semi covered, not covered at all and completely covered. It is sort of a tier shape. We prefer the covered balconies and on HAL are they all covered?
On the four Vista ships and the Eurodam, most of the stern balconies are semi-covered. On the Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam, the deck 5 stern are completely covered, as are all of the non-stern balconies.

The Vista ships are Zuiderdam, Westerdam, Oosterdam, and Noordam. The stern is as far aft as you can go on a ship. Stern cabins (often incorrectly called aft cabins on this forum) are those that face the wake. :)

Here is the stern of the Eurodam. Note how the slope exposes part of the balcony, as compared with the balconies on the side of the ship.

attachment.php?attachmentid=129021&d=1250649757

Here's another shot. Click this one to enlarge it.

2604053890099632937dhLlkY_th.jpg

Here is the Zuiderdam stern. (Again click to enlarge)

2626037400099632937BGprMY_th.jpg

Note how the deck 5 balconies are completely covered and the deck 4 ones are very exposed.

So on the Oosterdam I should book a balcony on deck 5? Silly question but what is the wake? We like to have a middle to aft cabin with a balcony that is covered, but it sounds like we have to be right at the back to have one?

Thanks!

Thanks for the pic! Looks like the balconies on the sides are all covered right? Sorry...learning a new cruise line!
Yes, all of the side balconies are completely covered, as well as deck 5 stern ones on the 3 I named.

The wake is the frothy white streak of water stirred up by the propellers.

:)

Come to think of it, my definition of a wake above is wrong, because even a ship using just sails has a wake. A better definition might be the "disturbed" water behind a moving ship or boat. :)

I know exactly what you meant! It's the bubbly water!

Do the decks go by names or numbers? I am trying to look at the diagrams on HAL website and not sure where deck 5 is. Yes, a sailor I am not!

Thanks again!

I know exactly what you meant! It's the bubbly water!

Do the decks go by names or numbers? I am trying to look at the diagrams on HAL website and not sure where deck 5 is. Yes, a sailor I am not!

Thanks again!

The decks go by both names and numbers. On the Oosterdam (since you mentioned that above) they are

1 Main

2 Lower Promenade

3 Promenade

4 Upper Promenade

5 Verandah

6 Upper Verandah

7 Rotterdam

8 Navigation

9 Lido

10 Observation

The decks go by both names and numbers. On the Oosterdam (since you mentioned that above) they are

1 Main

2 Lower Promenade

3 Promenade

4 Upper Promenade

5 Verandah

6 Upper Verandah

7 Rotterdam

8 Navigation

9 Lido

10 Observation

Although the Main is at the bottom and the Observation is at the top :p :D

Although the Main is at the bottom and the Observation is at the top :p :D
Yep! Before I got into cruising I always thought that the Main deck would be the longest one on the ship, which would be neither the bottom nor top. :o

What about the R-class ships?:)
I don't know if there's some small exposure on the balconies of the new A cabins on the stern of the Rotterdam and Veendam, but all other R & S class balconies are completely covered.

This is the Veendam

Ship+Photo+VEENDAM.JPG

Yes, all of the side balconies are completely covered, as well as deck 5 stern ones on the 3 I named.

Except on the Vistas and Eurodam where some of the balconies on deck 4 along the sides that are partially covered (the VD, VF and VF cabins).

Edited to add: I see you were refering to deck 5, not all side balconies. :)

Except on the Vistas and Eurodam where some of the balconies on deck 4 along the sides that are partially covered (the VD, VF and VF cabins).
Yep - I forgot those exceptions. No matter how careful I am, I often miss something. :o

(Of course you mean deck 4 VD, VF and VH.)

Archived