Overnight train to Barcelona

fnewman

Yes, I've taken this train. A large amount of luggage is going to be an issue as the sleeping compartments are small. Is it possible to do so with "tons" of luggage? probably but it will be tight. Note: I only had a carry-on size backpack when I took this train, so I really didn't pay all that much attention to where I could stash luggage.

If you have a lot of luggage, particularly big bags, I'd look at alternative transportation. As far as I know, there is one nonstop night train and the other two are connections. And, it's at least 11 hours long.

Think about flying. You can do Easyjet or Vueling for less than the price of the train. I used both for my trip last month. Easyjet was pretty strict with the baggage rules, but Vueling was a bit easier. You can also look at Iberia, which has codeshare flights with Vueling.

We were in a gran class compartment. This had two bunks and a WC/shower. We each had a roller suitcase 16" x 28" which fit fine under the bunks when they ready for sleep. While we were awake they fit under the fold down chairs. My in-laws each had suitcases that were several inches larger than ours and they kept theirs in the shower stall. It was a unforgettable trip.

I wrote a review that has some pictures of the gran class compartment on post #38 pg 2. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1018790&highlight=sandm+review&page=2 The suite cases are not under the chairs in the picture since we are arriving in Barcelona and getting ready to get off the train.

Sandm,

I am taking the trip in the other direction Spain to Paris also in the Gran class, How much should I tip the steward, and the server since it is all included in the price?

Thank you for the help.

We were in a Gran class compartment. This had two bunks and a WC/shower. We each had a roller suitcase 16" x 28" which fit fine under the bunks when they ready for sleep. While we were awake they fit under the fold down chairs. My in-laws each had suitcases that were several inches larger than ours and they kept theirs in the shower stall. It was a unforgettable trip.

I wrote a review that has some pictures of the Gran class compartment on post #38 pg 2. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1018790&highlight=sandm+review&page=2 The suite cases are not under the chairs in the picture since we are arriving in Barcelona and getting ready to get off the train.

We debated and pondered this a lot. I think we could not see anyone else leaving tips on the tables after we had dinner and breakfast. I think in the end we left a few Euros on the table and a few in the roomette.

Tipping is a highly covered subject here on the boards.

It seems Americans often tend to tip more than the usual and customary in Europe. I try to follow the customary amt for the area but it is very difficult for my husband since he likes to tip well for service well done and the service on the train was outstanding.

We really enjoyed the trip. It was not a deep restful sleep for most of our party but it was well worth the lack of sleep for this once in a lifetime experience. Enjoy.

Archived