Advice needed on packing gowns . . .please!

FourForFun

This is my second attempt at starting this thread, the first one disappeared!

Please help! We are leaving in 2 days and I've run into a packing problem. How do I neatly pack my gowns into a garment bag? Do I hang them and then fold the bottoms up and tuck them into the interior pocket? :confused: As suggested, I have my Downy Wrinkle Release, but I'd hate to have to use it on the gowns! Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share!

This is my second attempt at starting this thread, the first one disappeared!

Please help! We are leaving in 2 days and I've run into a packing problem. How do I neatly pack my gowns into a garment bag? Do I hang them and then fold the bottoms up and tuck them into the interior pocket? :confused: As suggested, I have my Downy Wrinkle Release, but I'd hate to have to use it on the gowns! Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share!

The wrinkle release is great for cotton shorts; so is a portable steamer but neither I feel would be good for a gown. Do you have a hangup bag? That works good, espeicially if you have your gown in one of those "cleaner" bags or like what they put it in at the store when you buy it. I have also had my gowns in the cleaner bags, lying flat at the top of a duffel bag when I did not take the hang up bag.

Unfortunately the biggest thing that "works" is the material of your gown. I learned this the hard way. NEVER take silk, it just does not pack well unless you are ready to factor in the cost of having it pressed. Rayon packs horribly too. Now poly-silks, taffeta's chiffon's, and the poly- velvets do decent. Often with those you can turn the shower on in the bathroom and hang them on the back of the bathroom door and close that door for about 10 minutes. Then they will look great-no wrinkles.

I think it was from Jane110, if not I apologize to the original author.

Hang your gown on a hanger, cover with dry cleaner bag. Next, pull up the bottom portion of the gown, hang on second hanger and cover that with an additional bag. This will make the garment take the shape of an upper case "N" only backwards, does that make sense to you? It not only protects the bottom portion of the gown, it relieves the weight for a beaded gown.

Have fun, I wish I were packing for a cruise right now!

Archived